Dublin v Kerry 2023 Senior All Ireland final

Started by Blowitupref, July 16, 2023, 07:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

But the difference is Gilroy and in turn Cuxton coming back. That elevates it all.
It's a different setup to what they walked away from. And the 10th Celtic Cross is some prize. Plus the others on 8...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

yellowcard

Quote from: Main Street on July 31, 2023, 05:11:49 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 31, 2023, 04:49:35 PM
Why would they retire??
For similar reasons that they chose to retire last year.
Would they stay on another year? I don't know, I guess it's a huge committment to get up to that level of fitnesss, it's not as if they can just miss training, waltz into matchday and put in a peerless performance like a crocked Paul McGrath did  time and time again at the top level.

I'm inclined to agree with yellowcard, I don't think the Dubs would have won the AI without the oul fellahs and let's not forget Gilroy who bailed out a struggling rookie manager. Take  one incident near the end of the match when the Dubs lost possession in front of Kerry goals and after a bit of too and fro, upped the agresssion to that level that only those lads could engineer, won back the ball and scored an invaluable. point.

I speculate that Dessie knew in his heart  that the Dubs were not good enough and did what was needed to build the winning formula.  And I'd say Derry are not going away until they win Sam.

I'd agree with that assessment. I think Dessie Farrell had 2 options. Either go with an entire rebuild and expect a transitionary period of a few years where the Dubs might not be as successful. Or throw the kitchen sink at it and try and win one last All Ireland. He was proven right and i don't believe they would have won the AI without the returning players either. Apart from conceding a goal yesterday, Cluxton had a near perfect performance, it was like he was playing in his back garden he was so composed while Mannion got RTE MOTM. You can't buy that composure and big game temperament. The winner writes the script so the Dessie Farrell era will now be viewed as a success. He was humble enough to get Gilroy back on board and that played a big part too.   

Galway and Derry are the 2 teams who probably will have the most regrets this season. I didn't believe that Derry had the tools to win an AI title up until the Kerry match but I think they could challenge now over the next few years.   

Derryman forever

Quote from: yellowcard on July 31, 2023, 05:24:54 PM
Quote from: Main Street on July 31, 2023, 05:11:49 PM
Why would they retire??
For similar reasons that they chose to retire last year.
Would they stay on another year? I don't know, I guess it's a huge committment to get up to that level of fitnesss, it's not as if they can just miss training, waltz into matchday and put in a peerless performance like a crocked Paul McGrath did  time and time again at the top level.

I'm inclined to agree with yellowcard, I don't think the Dubs would have won the AI without the oul fellahs and let's not forget Gilroy who bailed out a struggling rookie manager. Take  one incident near the end of the match when the Dubs lost possession in front of Kerry goals and after a bit of too and fro, upped the agresssion to that level that only those lads could engineer, won back the ball and scored an invaluable. point.

I speculate that Dessie knew in his heart  that the Dubs were not good enough and did what was needed to build the winning formula.  And I'd say Derry are not going away until they win Sam.

I'd agree with that assessment. I think Dessie Farrell had 2 options. Either go with an entire rebuild and expect a transitionary period of a few years where the Dubs might not be as successful. Or throw the kitchen sink at it and try and win one last All Ireland. He was proven right and i don't believe they would have won the AI without the returning players either. Apart from conceding a goal yesterday, Cluxton had a near perfect performance, it was like he was playing in his back garden he was so composed while Mannion got RTE MOTM. You can't buy that composure and big game temperament. The winner writes the script so the Dessie Farrell era will now be viewed as a success. He was humble enough to get Gilroy back on board and that played a big part too.   

Galway and Derry are the 2 teams who probably will have the most regrets this season. I didn't believe that Derry had the tools to win an AI title up until the Kerry match but I think they could challenge now over the next few years.

In my opinion, Derry are two forwards away from Sam.
And if Murray and mc williams come good, which i think they can , they will be there.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 31, 2023, 04:52:14 PM
Best team all year, they were poor the whole way through the Div 2 league till the final,, couldn't beat Roscommon, They come strong late on, but not many expected them to go any further than a semi earlier in the year.

Could have been a different for Dublin had they lost to Roscommon. The rossies had a free with the last kick of the game to win it.

Would have finished 2nd in the group had they lost that match and have played rested Derry in the Quarter final and that Quarter final would have been Dublins 3rd game in 14 days.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

straightred

Quote from: HokeyPokey on July 31, 2023, 03:47:29 PM
For five years or so, nobody could touch Dublin, Mayo could give them a game, but still weren't at that level.

Dublin will be there or there abouts, no doubt. But the playing field is much more level now.
Yeah - the gap has narrowed. For me Derry should have beaten Kerry, with the rub of the green Monaghan could have beaten Dublin and Galway are perhaps the team that should have the most regrets. They really should have gone deeper. There's 5 teams straight out that that can challenge next year

rodney trotter

Quote from: straightred on July 31, 2023, 05:59:52 PM
For five years or so, nobody could touch Dublin, Mayo could give them a game, but still weren't at that level.

Dublin will be there or there abouts, no doubt. But the playing field is much more level now.
Yeah - the gap has narrowed. For me Derry should have beaten Kerry, with the rub of the green Monaghan could have beaten Dublin and Galway are perhaps the team that should have the most regrets. They really should have gone deeper. There's 5 teams straight out that that can challenge next year

Monaghan gave Dublin a rattle but were average in a few games. Kildare should have beaten Monaghan. A makeshift Donegal beat Monaghan in round Robin series

The standard is not what it was. Galway were missing a couple of good backs this year  Kieran Molloy was excellent when they reached the All Ireland final . Missed this year through injury. Liam Silke will probably be back too

Aaron Boone

Derry do feel like All Ireland champions in waiting.

seafoid

AustinPowers

Why would they retire??
McCarthy is a beast who still has the legs.
Fitzsimons never relied on physique.
Cuxton is a keeper...

Then you'd imagine an injury free McCaffrey with a full preseason under him is like a new man.
Some others like Basquel stepped up too.
Con was average, so he's going to be flying next year...

Why walk away from that?

Because he  hinted at retiring in  his post match  interview

rrhf

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 31, 2023, 06:27:33 PM
Derry do feel like All Ireland champions in waiting.
Yes it's Derrys to lose now...

Blowitupref

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 31, 2023, 06:21:04 PM

Monaghan gave Dublin a rattle but were average in a few games. Kildare should have beaten Monaghan. A makeshift Donegal beat Monaghan in round Robin series

The standard is not what it was. Galway were missing a couple of good backs this year  Kieran Molloy was excellent when they reached the All Ireland final . Missed this year through injury. Liam Silke will probably be back too

Defence wasn't the issue for Galway this year, held all teams in the league and championship to low scores their problem was not scoring enough. Still rely on Comer who's injury prone and Walsh who was off form and carrying an injury himself.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 31, 2023, 07:34:55 PM

Defence wasn't the issue for Galway this year, held all teams in the league and championship to low scores their problem was not scoring enough. Still rely on Comer who's injury prone and Walsh who was off form and carrying an injury himself.

It wasn't the issue but those players were very good going forward from deep. Some of the Galway players in defence this year like Cian Hernon offered little going forward

But yeah Galway need another scoring forward. Tierney is quality but more of a half forward. Ian Burke shows well but doesn't score. Finnerty capable but has been in and out

Real Talk

Quote from: Real Talk on July 27, 2023, 08:33:19 AM
I wouldn't say that Kerry are just a two man effective forward division (ie David C and Sean O'S )  and credit must be given to a good Derry system that nullifying their other forwards. 

The final will take on a 'life of its own' as all Kerry and Dublin games do. 

So if Dublin can keep 15 players on the field for the duration of the game then the power of James McCarthy and the effectiveness of Fenton and  their spread of quality forwards plus another 4/5 star options 'off the bench' will provide the platform for a Dublin victory.

The ref will have a big bearing on the flow of the game !!!

Do youse boys know anything about Dublin and Kerry ???

Main Street

Monaghan did good this year, in all probability neither Kildare nor Donegal would have come close to drawing with Armagh and Monaghan were the only team who prevailed having  played the 3 weeks in a row and also playing extra time and penalties to boot.
It's Monaghan's next challenge, to follow up on a good year. Derry are still a few lengths ahead of Monaghan, they have it within the squad to get to an AI final next year.
Imo the only team from Connacht that deservedly earned the right to have regrets is Roscommon, only for a freak of a technical foul they would have beaten Cork to get to the 1/4 final. Obviously I don't know how they would have performed but they were a team that were cut out when they had more to offer competitively.  Galway were beaten at home when it mattered by a not so great Mayo team, excuses don't cut a proper explanation nor justify regrets, tactically and selection wise they got it wrong v Mayo.

square_ball

Quote from: Real Talk on July 31, 2023, 09:15:13 PM
Quote from: Real Talk on July 27, 2023, 08:33:19 AM
I wouldn't say that Kerry are just a two man effective forward division (ie David C and Sean O'S )  and credit must be given to a good Derry system that nullifying their other forwards. 

The final will take on a 'life of its own' as all Kerry and Dublin games do. 

So if Dublin can keep 15 players on the field for the duration of the game then the power of James McCarthy and the effectiveness of Fenton and  their spread of quality forwards plus another 4/5 star options 'off the bench' will provide the platform for a Dublin victory.

The ref will have a big bearing on the flow of the game !!!

Do youse boys know anything about Dublin and Kerry ???

Jack McCaffrey was the only real star option Dublin had on the bench. No doubt he made a huge impact but apart from him there wasn't any of the others Kerry would have been worried about coming on once Bugler was ruled out and Kilkenny was starting. James McCarthy was ineffectual for the whole match.

Anyway good to see Paul Flynn out celebrating with his former teammates last night. But they should have told him to never drink and tweet.

https://twitter.com/Flinto23/status/1686159075870969856?s=20