Gooch Retires

Started by Gold, April 04, 2017, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: lenny on April 08, 2017, 04:41:11 PM
I'm starting to understand how this works for some people. When Kerry lose tight games that is the all the fault of gooch for not stepping up to the plate. When tyrone lose 14 championship games in the last 8 seasons, quite a few of them by a small margin, then that is not the fault of sean cavanagh for getting back cards or his often terrible shot selection, but it is the collective fault of the tyrone team. Also peter canavan lost many championship games for tyrone often by small enough margins. By the same criteria applied to gooch he's just an average forward who should have stepped up a bit more to get his team over the line. What people lose sight of is that without gooch the tight games that kerry lost would've been big losses and the big wins they achieved would've been much tougher games. I'm inclined to trust the opinions of 2 players who played with and aginst gooch and are both excellent judges. Both tomas ose and philip jordan who now both work for RTE have said that gooch was the greatest forward they have seen. That's good enough for me and I would tend to agree.

One of his former teammates is hardly an impartial, unbiased observer.

lenny

Quote from: Beffs on April 08, 2017, 06:35:54 PM
Quote from: lenny on April 08, 2017, 04:41:11 PM
I'm starting to understand how this works for some people. When Kerry lose tight games that is the all the fault of gooch for not stepping up to the plate. When tyrone lose 14 championship games in the last 8 seasons, quite a few of them by a small margin, then that is not the fault of sean cavanagh for getting back cards or his often terrible shot selection, but it is the collective fault of the tyrone team. Also peter canavan lost many championship games for tyrone often by small enough margins. By the same criteria applied to gooch he's just an average forward who should have stepped up a bit more to get his team over the line. What people lose sight of is that without gooch the tight games that kerry lost would've been big losses and the big wins they achieved would've been much tougher games. I'm inclined to trust the opinions of 2 players who played with and aginst gooch and are both excellent judges. Both tomas ose and philip jordan who now both work for RTE have said that gooch was the greatest forward they have seen. That's good enough for me and I would tend to agree.

One of his former teammates is hardly an impartial, unbiased observer.

Fair enough but in fairness tomas just said that gooch was the greatest kerry player he'd seen. In my opinion that makes him one of the best of all time then.

Beffs

You are changing your tune. At first it was Tomas O'Se said he was the greatest forward he has ever seen. Now it is the greatest Kerry player he has ever seen. Bit of a diffference there, no?

Either way, one of this former teamates is hardly an impartial judge, is all I'm saying. If he thought privately, that Michael Murphy, Bernard Brogan or Sean Cavanagh, or a few others, were more effective forwards in big games (not more naturally talented, just more effective) there is no way he is ever going to admit it, not in public anyway.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on April 06, 2017, 08:58:57 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 06, 2017, 08:44:13 PM
He was the baby faced assassin,  the wolf in sheep's clothing.

Cheap. (The post, I mean.)
Cop on to yourself, further proof that apostrophe fiends haven't a sense of humour.
I have already posted that he was the perfect footballer.
He was also tough as nails and had to be.
What's cheap about that?

rrhf

Lenny who would you rather mark Gooch or Canavan and why?

The Stallion

I'd rather mark Canavan. He's about 45 for a start.

Hotrocks

Quote from: The Stallion on April 09, 2017, 06:20:58 AM
I'd rather mark Canavan. He's about 45 for a start.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Clueless!!! more brains in a false face

The Stallion

Canavan may not be the sharpest tool in the box but to call him clueless is a bit harsh. However I respect your right to express your opinion.

Hotrocks

lenny

Quote from: rrhf on April 09, 2017, 01:28:33 AM
Lenny who would you rather mark Gooch or Canavan and why?

Tough choice, 2 great players no doubt. What a 2 man full forward line that would be with those 2 in there.

Il Bomber Destro

Brolly just destroyed Tomas O'Se about Gooch there.

Jinxy

He did, yeah.
Darragh, Tomás and a lot of other serious players were on those teams that lost to Tyrone & Dublin.
Why does Cooper bear responsibility for those losses?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jinxy on April 09, 2017, 10:41:04 PM
He did, yeah.
Darragh, Tomás and a lot of other serious players were on those teams that lost to Tyrone & Dublin.
Why does Cooper bear responsibility for those losses?
Apparently he didn't get on thr ball often enough. Never did anything in those losses. Never looked for the ball. Never beat his marker. Never showed leadership. All the others showed such amazing leadership and did everything they were asked to, dug them out of holes, beat their marker, scored, defended, did the 'dirty work'. Cooper just ruined everything the other 15 players plus subs did. Apparently.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on April 09, 2017, 10:30:40 PM
Brolly just destroyed Tomas O'Se about Gooch there.
Tomas couldn't but cringe at what he was hearing. Only thing that was destroyed was whatever credibility Brolly had left, a parody of himself at this stage.

From the Bunker

The problem is he is getting all these plaudits! Has this Kerry team not been put on a pedestal as the best team of that decade? Surely playing on a team with such stature should make it easier to be a person to drive on a team. How in that case when games were tight did they not eek out a win once? Look nobody is saying he was to blame for Kerry losing. Just he was not involved in upping the anti and eeking out a win from the Jaws of defeat. There is no doubting his skill, composure, brain. Just he did not have the full package.

Tomas was asked to name a game where he pulled them out of the fire. Plámás just looked ahead, he could not name one. It was not as if he was caught off guard. He would have been well prompted on the subject before the show began.