OWC hooligan gets slap on the wrists

Started by red hander, August 07, 2009, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

A self-employed builder who injured a linesman by throwing a coin during a World Cup football qualifier in Belfast has been given a suspended jail sentence.
Peter Savage (41) also faces a lifetime ban from Windsor Park for launching the missile from the stands as Northern Ireland took on Poland in March.

Savage, of De Wind Drive, Comber, Co Down, pleaded guilty to assaulting Swedish assistant referee Stefan Wittberg during a match further marred by crowd trouble before and afterwards.
Belfast Magistrates Court heard the coin was thrown in the first half, striking Mr Wittberg on the back of the head.

The incident led to the game being halted for seven minutes while the linesman was examined by a doctor, prosecutors said.
Savage was identified by others around him and picked out from Sky Sports television footage of the match.

His solicitor Pat Kelly yesterday said he had been left "deeply upset and distressed" by the court proceedings against him.
Mr Kelly said: "He's been a Northern Ireland supporter for over 30 years. He's attended every match, it's his only social outlet in life.

"But he realises that whatever this court does to him he will be forbidden by the IFA (Irish Football Association) from attending any other matches."
Savage has written a letter of apology to the governing authorities and also expressed regret towards Mr Wittberg, the lawyer stressed.

He had taken drink before the game which he attended with a young son he looks after, the court heard.
Mr Kelly stressed: "It was purely a stupid act of emotion when he threw the coin. He understands the shame this matter has brought upon himself and the team."
Savage's act was not the only violent incident surrounding the match, which Northern Ireland won 3-2.

Four Polish supporters have pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour linked to trouble which flared at a city centre pub ahead of the game.
Imposing a two-month jail term, suspended for 18 months, District Judge Fiona Bagnall gave Savage credit for how he had met the charge against him.

full back

Quote from: red hander on August 07, 2009, 04:48:50 PM
He had taken drink before the game which he attended with a young son he looks after

???

Just a random son he looks after?

T Fearon

Peter Savage? That sounds like a name of a member of the one true Church and Faith? I'm totally shocked and disgusted by this... a catholic supporting the North of Ireland ;D

A Quinn Martin Production

A self-employed builder who injured a linesman by throwing a coin during a World Cup football qualifier in Belfast has been given a suspended jail sentence.
Peter Savage (41) also faces a lifetime ban from Windsor Park for launching the missile from the stands as Northern Ireland took on Poland in March.

Savage, of De Wind Drive, Comber, Co Down, pleaded guilty to assaulting Swedish assistant referee Stefan Wittberg during a match further marred by crowd trouble before and afterwards.
Belfast Magistrates Court heard the coin was thrown in the first half, striking Mr Wittberg on the back of the head.

The incident led to the game being halted for seven minutes while the linesman was examined by a doctor, prosecutors said.
Savage was identified by others around him and picked out from Sky Sports television footage of the match.

His solicitor Pat Kelly yesterday said he had been left "deeply upset and distressed" by the court proceedings against him.
Mr Kelly said: "He's been a Northern Ireland supporter for over 30 years. He's attended every match, it's his only social outlet in life.

"But he realises that whatever this court does to him he will be forbidden by the IFA (Irish Football Association) from attending any other matches."
Savage has written a letter of apology to the governing authorities and also expressed regret towards Mr Wittberg, the lawyer stressed.

He had taken drink before the game which he attended with a young son he looks after, the court heard.
Mr Kelly stressed: "It was purely a stupid act of emotion when he threw the coin. He understands the shame this matter has brought upon himself and the team."
Savage's act was not the only violent incident surrounding the match, which Northern Ireland won 3-2.

Four Polish supporters have pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour linked to trouble which flared at a city centre pub ahead of the game.
Imposing a two-month jail term, suspended for 18 months, District Judge Fiona Bagnall gave Savage credit for how he had met the charge against him.

How sad can you get ;D
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Doogie Browser

In fairness this is the only punishment he was ever going to get for that type of offence, I would say the sc**bag is more annoyed about his ban from Windsor and the naming and shamimg he has got.  I always am sceptical about these banning orders from sporting grounds though as you are bound to be able to sneak in, its not as if every turnstile operator/steward/cop will know who you are.

Evil Genius

It might be more accurate to have entitled this thread "Ex-OWC Hooligan gets slap on the wrist".

I was at the game in  question and a good friend of mine was sitting a couple of rows directly behind this asshole. When Savage chucked the coin, he was immediately identified by fans in the surrounding seats, and was ejected (with his son) by the Stewards a couple of minutes later.

For some reason, the Stewards (not IFA employees, but from a company called Eventsec), didn't take his name and address, so the IFA had to investigate, in conjunction with the PSNI. Anyhow, they eventually managed to trace him via his seat and ticket number, as well as tracking down eyewitnesses who were prepared to testify in Court (hence the Guilty plea).

Anyhow, on that basis, the IFA announced that he would be banned for life from attending NI games i.e. even before his case came to Court.  

As for the suspended sentence meted out by the Court, I've no doubt that the IFA (and all true NI fans) are dismayed at the leniency, but there's not really anything more we can do.

Finally, it should be noted that the fine imposed by FIFA in respect of this incident (£8k?) was at the very lower end of the range of possible punishments, in recognition of NI's previously good record and despite the fact that a section of the away  support was agitating and trying to provoke trouble (eg chucking a bottle at one of the NI subs as he warmed up).

None of which, of course, makes this asshole's conduct in any way less unacceptable; but if it's true to say that "there's always one", at least we can be assured that now "there's one fewer".
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Quote from: T Fearon on August 07, 2009, 04:56:33 PM
Peter Savage? That sounds like a name of a member of the one true Church and Faith? I'm totally shocked and disgusted by this... a catholic supporting the North of Ireland ;D

What do you expect...he's from Down ;)

Evil Genius

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 07, 2009, 04:57:34 PM
How sad can you get ;D
If attending matches is "his only social outlet", then how does he square that with his admission that he had been drinking before the match?  ???

A medical prescription from his doctor, perhaps?  :o
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 07, 2009, 05:21:22 PM
How sad can you get ;D
If attending matches is "his only social outlet", then how does he square that with his admission that he had been drinking before the match?  ???

A medical prescription from his doctor, perhaps?  :o

Probably bevvies in the house on his todd

ifa fan

How can anyone call themselves a fan whenever they put the result of this game in doubt?

scum  >:(

Archie Mitchell

How sad can you get ;D

I'd say for many a person, sport is their only social outlet in life. Especially for people who don't drink or smoke etc.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Doogie Browser on August 07, 2009, 05:08:16 PM
In fairness this is the only punishment he was ever going to get for that type of offence, I would say the sc**bag is more annoyed about his ban from Windsor and the naming and shamimg he has got.  I always am sceptical about these banning orders from sporting grounds though as you are bound to be able to sneak in, its not as if every turnstile operator/steward/cop will know who you are.
Re. the "naming and shaming", any NI fan I've spoken to has been very angered by this asshole, and since he will undoubtedly be known to a fair number of the fans, I can guarantee he'll not be able to "sneak in" unobserved.

Moreover, since almost all the tickets at WP are reserved for named and known "Block Bookers", this guy apparently obtained his from a source who was doing him a favour. Having seen the sh1t that he has now caused, fans will be very reluctant to take that chance in future, with anyone.

Btw, the (GB) Football Offences Acts which would see this guy receive a Banning Order, with possible additional attendance orders at a police station on match days etc, have not yet been extended to NI, despite requests from the IFA and Sports Council etc.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 07, 2009, 05:30:55 PM

How sad can you get ;D

I'd say for many a person, sport is their only social outlet in life. Especially for people who don't drink or smoke etc.

Yeah but this guy's only social outlet is going to watch NI...but seriously this guy strikes me as a "Billy No Mates" who forces his young son (who doesn't really like him) to go to Windsor then in a pathetic act to be one of the crowd slings a coin at the linesman because he's seen it on Match of the Day.  I've no evidence to back this up of course but I'm sure I'm right :P

mylestheslasher

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 07, 2009, 05:20:36 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 07, 2009, 04:56:33 PM

What do you expect...he's from Down ;)

True, rumour has it he was aiming for the goalkeeper.  :D

I don't know what you expect the court to do anyhow, he threw a coin at a linesman. A court of law can only consider the crime and not surrounding circumstances such as the game potentially being abandoned etc. The IFA are the ones with the power in a sence to a) Ban the man and b) Name and shame. They done both so what else can they do? Fair is fair lads.

Chrisowc

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on August 07, 2009, 05:45:34 PM
Yeah but this guy's only social outlet is going to watch NI...but seriously this guy strikes me as a "Billy No Mates" who forces his young son (who doesn't really like him) to go to Windsor then in a pathetic act to be one of the crowd slings a coin at the linesman because he's seen it on Match of the Day.  I've no evidence to back this up of course but I'm sure I'm right :P

It ain't easy! :)
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!