Post Office Horizon Scandal

Started by Square Ball, January 10, 2024, 04:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

I never knew that the post office has the powers to bring people to court without even involving the police.

And another thing, Where are the auditors in all this, what is the actual point of them.

Do we know how many people from the north were caught up in this.

Wildweasel74

Hard watch that the night. You wonder how managers in the post office high tier, at the time don't see court for withholding information.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Hereiam on January 10, 2024, 10:55:52 PMI never knew that the post office has the powers to bring people to court without even involving the police.

And another thing, Where are the auditors in all this, what is the actual point of them.

Do we know how many people from the north were caught up in this.

I think it's in the BBC news article. There's a handful I think. There's a woman from Tyrone interviewed in it and it's pretty shocking.

Yeah there is a chain of things here. Where were the auditors should be a big question. If you read the BBC article with the Tyrone woman in it she talks about the auditors. It's a shocking read as she said she kept paying money in then got audited and they said they were due 6k. How much money must the PO owe and that's before they should be compensating people.

Milltown Row2

Surely when they (the Post Office) tallied up their own figures at the years end that for the stock and out goings  and various other things that the figures were not matching and that they had more that they should have?

It's bizarre that there wasn't whistle blowers long before the post masters got together as a group to highlight their ongoing cases!

A lot of families and siblings had to deal with the 'shame' of having people think that they stole. One woman today was on and she tried to 'fix' the books because every week there was a shortfall and after paying it with her own money couldn't do it and used money from other parts to pay it!

Went to prison, and wore a tag for few months!

That said there will be a few ones looking claims because someone at school said "your ma's a thief"
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

The reality is any compensation that comes from this can never recompense the suffering these people have been through. This is one of the most monumental f**k ups in British legal history and that's saying something!!!! 

LeoMc

Many pleaded guilty and paid the "shortfall" rather than risk trial and imprisonment.

How many more quietly paid multiple small  "shortfalls" to regularly balance the books and are out of pocket with no record of the money lost.

johnnycool

Quote from: LeoMc on January 11, 2024, 09:49:00 AMMany pleaded guilty and paid the "shortfall" rather than risk trial and imprisonment.

How many more quietly paid multiple small  "shortfalls" to regularly balance the books and are out of pocket with no record of the money lost.

Watched that Panorama program last night on this, horrific what these people were put through and all along both Fujitsu and the Post Office executives knew there were issues with this Horizon software which incidentally during the tendering process came bottom in 7 of the 9 criteria set out. The one they did top was cost.

Surely criminal proceedings need to be initiated against those who willingly lied in court or allowed others to willingly lie in court to protect the "brand".

One lad committed suicide by walking in front of a bus over being wrongly accused of stealing FFS.

trailer

Anyone here work with Fujitsu? Bound to be a few nerds here who either currently work there or worked for them?

Denn Forever

Fujitso seem to be under a lot of pressure about the scandal.  Are they just not the hardware?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

quit yo jibbajabba

Couple programs on last night was only half listening but heard one bit where a Fujitsu employee went in and fiddled figures..... How this isn't an out and out crime is more than I know

johnnycool

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 11, 2024, 11:21:47 AMCouple programs on last night was only half listening but heard one bit where a Fujitsu employee went in and fiddled figures..... How this isn't an out and out crime is more than I know

They were "fixing" bugs on live systems and in doing so messing up the figures but were telling the sub post masters that no one else had access to their terminals.

imtommygunn

I only heard this bit today. Is there an audit trail for who did what? if there is they should be prosecuted but there are quite a few layers to an audit trail.

I work in software and if anyone asked me to do well let's just say it wouldn't be getting done.

Square Ball

to what lengths did Fujitsu go to cover this up? the series shows one of them (the Union Rep) visiting the office but the sign in sheet somehow vanishes, but he discovers an old email, and it wasn't a live environment, it was a test one. tip if an Everest sized iceberg.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

dec

Quote from: johnnycool on January 11, 2024, 11:40:51 AM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on January 11, 2024, 11:21:47 AMCouple programs on last night was only half listening but heard one bit where a Fujitsu employee went in and fiddled figures..... How this isn't an out and out crime is more than I know

They were "fixing" bugs on live systems and in doing so messing up the figures but were telling the sub post masters that no one else had access to their terminals.