The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

podge

Quote from: An Watcher on March 17, 2019, 11:02:06 PM
Apparently he never shut up about paddys day and how happy he was to win on paddys day in his acceptance speech

Seriously, is this how we measure the man-by how much he references st paddy's day in his speech! What is this obsession people have with badging him (and anyone for that matter) as Irish or otherwise? Maybe, just maybe, he's living and working in an environment where he and those around him just don't give a shit about that bollox

Orior

Seamus was 33rd I think. He had a hole in one on day three.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

highorlow

QuoteWhat is this obsession people have with badging him (and anyone for that matter) as Irish or otherwise?

It's because he is Irish only when it suits him.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mouview

Quote from: highorlow on March 19, 2019, 10:36:22 AM
QuoteWhat is this obsession people have with badging him (and anyone for that matter) as Irish or otherwise?

Or maybe it's because he's seen first hand how much trouble it causes when you are identified as one or the other up where he comes from. Therefore, he's done the sensible thing and ignore it all and let it bother others if they want it to.

trailer

Quote from: highorlow on March 19, 2019, 10:36:22 AM

Sure that's his lookout.
I find it amazing how people on this board can fawn over British football teams but then get all worked up about the nationality of a golfer from Holywood who now lives in America.
David Feherty completely left his Irish roots behind and even threw his lot in with the USA in the Ryder cup, but there's no word about him.

highorlow

QuoteOr maybe it's because he's seen first hand how much trouble it causes when you are identified as one or the other up where he comes from

So deny your heritage because your from "up there".

It angers most people because he appears to have been radicalized by some form of British imposed upbringing.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

gallsman

It's not that "he's Irish when it suits him" it's that his particular brand of Irishness isn't acceptable to narrow minded twats who expect and demand that he conform to their particular brand of it.

Boycey

Radicalized ffs  ;D

McIlroys a strange one in that he seems to identify himself as Northern Irish rather than the 'more traditional' view of them'uns and us'uns that the rest of us have ie British and Irish... In some ways it a quite refreshing outlook divorced from our past I have to say I don't give a shiny shite what he identifies as. I've been following his career since he was 14/15 and he's provided sublime entertainment to me and many millions more, all this from a wee lad from an hour up the road from me I can't but like him.

Personally I think most of the dislike is just good old fashioned begrudgery, we don't mind a fella being good but we don't like a fella to be that good. He needs to be slapped down a wee bit..

trailer

Quote from: highorlow on March 19, 2019, 12:25:27 PM
QuoteOr maybe it's because he's seen first hand how much trouble it causes when you are identified as one or the other up where he comes from

It angers most people because he appears to have been radicalized by some form of British imposed upbringing.

The absolute state of this post.
Got to love the internet though, bringing us wankers en masse since 1990.

dec

The problem with McIlroy is that he is the wrong sort of Catholic.

To be a proper Fenian he is supposed to identify solely as Irish, have the tricolour as his flag and have nothing to do with any British or Northern Irish identity.

McIlroy doesn't fit into the proper box. Because of that, some deluded idiots get angry.

AZOffaly

Quote from: dec on March 19, 2019, 01:17:24 PM

To be a proper Fenian he is supposed to identify solely as Irish, have the tricolour as his flag and have nothing to do with any British or Northern Irish identity.

McIlroy doesn't fit into the proper box. Because of that, some deluded idiots get angry.

Which lad represents the island of Ireland better? Rory Mcilroy, who identifies as NI and doesn;t seem comfortable with all the trappings that a nationalist might prefer him to endorse, or Conor McGregor, a born and bred Dub who never misses an opportunity to wrap the green flag around himself?

mouview

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 19, 2019, 01:22:29 PM
Quote from: dec on March 19, 2019, 01:17:24 PM

Which lad represents the island of Ireland better? Rory Mcilroy, who identifies as NI and doesn;t seem comfortable with all the trappings that a nationalist might prefer him to endorse, or Conor McGregor, a born and bred Dub who never misses an opportunity to wrap the green flag around himself?

I know who I'd prefer to see calling round.

podge

Quote from: highorlow on March 19, 2019, 12:25:27 PM

Seriously, catch a grip FFS.