USA guest to Irish Wedding - gift amount??

Started by Puckoon, August 30, 2015, 05:36:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Well,

Herself has always wondered what this Gaaboard Melarky is but tonight asks me what an American couple invited to a traditional Irish Wedding should offer as a financial gift, as they have no time to use the online registry. So, I need some help.

Disclaimer: it's my brothers wedding and the question isn't for me. I'm breaking the bank for the f**ker. He's getting a new pair of Levis.

TIA

Puck.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Ah jaysus, if they are flying from the States I wouldn't be expecting anything. Their expenses for the wedding are high enough as it is. I'm sure something small would do.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on August 30, 2015, 11:15:55 AM
Ah jaysus, if they are flying from the States I wouldn't be expecting anything. Their expenses for the wedding are high enough as it is. I'm sure something small would do.
Do you not know wedding gifts are about making back the money you spend on the wedding...  ;)

Denn Forever

When is the wedding?  Some couples have a list of Presents from specific Shops e.g. Brown Thomas, what ever Switzers is called now.  Ask your brother is this what they are doing.

Alternatively ask him what they specifically need.  If he asks for something out landish, you can tell him to cop himself on.

Or you could sit down and decide what were the best  presents you got and use that as a guide.

You could also get him a pair of Levis cos they are so much cheaper in the states.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

laoislad

I hate those wedding present lists.
I would never buy something off one.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

whitey

A bed spread of a toaster should do the trick!!

Actually for a family member I have been reliably informed that €250 was the going rate, even for those coming from overseas

Tony Baloney

Quote from: whitey on August 30, 2015, 01:43:56 PM

Actually for a family member I have been reliably informed that €250 was the going rate, even for those coming from overseas
I would agree with muppet. If someone knowingly invites someone from overseas and they fork out thousands in expenses to come from the US (for example) then I wouldn't expect anything from them.

whitey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 30, 2015, 02:38:32 PM
Quote from: whitey on August 30, 2015, 01:43:56 PM

I would agree with muppet. If someone knowingly invites someone from overseas and they fork out thousands in expenses to come from the US (for example) then I wouldn't expect anything from them.

They were exactly my sentiments, but I got the old guilt trip....its your only sister, sure youll spend twice that on drink, other people are coming and giving €250 etc etc

Can you imagine the ructions when acknowledgements of said gifts were very very slow in coming

The Iceman

It's different if it is a close family member. You are getting a gift regardless. If you make the trip a token gift is fine IMO.
You can play the family politics game if you want -this one gave me this or that or the other....  I think it's a pile of crap. I'm headed home the same time as Puck for a family wedding and I bought a present. It's a 20 hour door to door trip and all in will cost me maybe 1700 sterling for 6 days (flights, car hire, spending money) and I still gave a decent gift because it's family....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Quote from: The Iceman on August 31, 2015, 05:09:39 PM
It's different if it is a close family member. You are getting a gift regardless. If you make the trip a token gift is fine IMO.
You can play the family politics game if you want -this one gave me this or that or the other....  I think it's a pile of crap. I'm headed home the same time as Puck for a family wedding and I bought a present. It's a 20 hour door to door trip and all in will cost me maybe 1700 sterling for 6 days (flights, car hire, spending money) and I still gave a decent gift because it's family....

How do u know when he's heading home?

David McKeown

Im getting married in 3 weeks and have to say I have been genuinely shocked at generosity of all my guests.  I was expected a lot less than we have gotten from everyone.

2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

armaghniac

Rich yanks should be expected to fork out for a swell present.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TheOptimist

A yank came to my wedding. I paid for his room.

The Iceman

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 31, 2015, 05:26:24 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on August 31, 2015, 05:09:39 PM

How do u know when he's heading home?
I'm in the air at the same time - September 3rd landing on Irish soil sane as him
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight