"Where exactly are you from"? Says he.

Started by Puckoon, March 30, 2012, 07:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

So I just had the old biometrics appointment with US immigration and citizenship services for the green card application and I really couldn't give the fella an honest answer to his question.

He noted that all my forms say IRELAND for place of citizenship, and for place of birth (and have done since I first came here 10 years ago). He also noted I carry an Irish passport, but when he asked me directly if I was born in Northern Ireland I had to say yes. I kind of urged him to keep IRELAND as my entry for place of birth to avoid the application being held up on administrative charges and he was grand about that - but he was thouroughly confused as to why I am born in Northern Ireland yet carrying the Irish passport and not having Northern Ireland as my place of birth. Then he asked me what flag is it that he sees on the golf channel when GMAC is on, and we kinda left it at that.

Is it incorrect to have Ireland as my place of birth, given I was born in Omagh, Co Tyrone in 1980? It is what I have always put down and have not really ever been pressed on it until today. If I was to make the news tomorrow (maybe for winning the 640$million mega lottery tonight), would I be described as Irish, Northern Irish, UKish etc, or just a lucky ballox?

Agent Orange

I was reading one of your posts the other day and wondered exactly the same thing, talking about precipitation and such bollix. Away and cop yourself on.

FL/MAYO

Whinging Nordie would suffice ;D  congrats and welcome!

Gabriel_Hurl

I've always put Ireland on my forms here.

Puckoon

Me too Gab. I'd never really been questioned on it previously.

Long way to go yet FL/MAYO - still need to get the interview etc...

Onlooker

Quote from: Puckoon on March 30, 2012, 07:27:11 PM
So I just had the old biometrics appointment with US immigration and citizenship services for the green card application and I really couldn't give the fella an honest answer to his question.

He noted that all my forms say IRELAND for place of citizenship, and for place of birth (and have done since I first came here 10 years ago). He also noted I carry an Irish passport, but when he asked me directly if I was born in Northern Ireland I had to say yes. I kind of urged him to keep IRELAND as my entry for place of birth to avoid the application being held up on administrative charges and he was grand about that - but he was thouroughly confused as to why I am born in Northern Ireland yet carrying the Irish passport and not having Northern Ireland as my place of birth. Then he asked me what flag is it that he sees on the golf channel when GMAC is on, and we kinda left it at that.

Is it incorrect to have Ireland as my place of birth, given I was born in Omagh, Co Tyrone in 1980? It is what I have always put down and have not really ever been pressed on it until today. If I was to make the news tomorrow (maybe for winning the 640$million mega lottery tonight), would I be described as Irish, Northern Irish, UKish etc, or just a lucky ballox?
If you were born in Omagh you were born in Ireland.  No question about it as far as I am concerned.

dec

It depends on how they interpret "Ireland". I have always regarded Ireland as a 32 county entity. However Bunreacht na hÉireann declares that the name of the 26 county state is Ireland. And Tyrone is not (yet) part of the state covered by Bunreacht na hÉireann.

Ulick

Quote from: Puckoon on March 30, 2012, 07:27:11 PM
Is it incorrect to have Ireland as my place of birth, given I was born in Omagh, Co Tyrone in 1980? It is what I have always put down and have not really ever been pressed on it until today.

Yes it's correct and he sounds like an idiot or maybe on the wind-up. Your Irish passport will say you were born in Tír Eoghain. If he has a problem with that direct him to the Department of Foreign Affairs.

FL/MAYO

When I did the test all I had to do is write down "the house is white" all they wanted was the money.

The Iceman

Don't remember having the same problem Puck on my application and it was only a few years ago. I think your man was on the wind up alright.
And I have to correct you - the $640million is mine tonight - or at least a share of it. I did a pool in work - 140 tickets bought today!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

deiseach

He let you put Ireland down so what's the issue? Sounds to me like he was just curious

Incidentally, the SNP should insist that people filling in forms like that put down the United Kingdom as their country. The Union would dissolve in a flash

Puckoon

There's no issue, unless I've been making an incorrect entry and someone down the line in an office wants to look into it. I'm also just curious as to what the technically correct answer is, irrespective of political leanings.

This eejit was as rigid as a board, I'd stake money he wasn't on the wind up.

Oraisteach

When's the test, Puck.  My Vietnamese barber was asked just about everything short of the names, ages and addresses of those who died on the Titanic.  I, on the other hand, was asked the colors of the American flag.  Thought it was a trick.  Some people find it hard to let go of old conflicts, I suppose.

ardal

I wouldn't worry about the place of birth issue (non issue), but I'd be really concerned about the blatant lie you've told on the first post of this thread.

Born in 1980????