Why do people like Bertie?

Started by Bogball XV, May 27, 2007, 12:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

Last October it was tears on the TV and "leave my family out of it".
Today, well just look at the front page of the Independent.
Like him ? I loathe him

Declan

I'm depressed this weekend when I realise my own ambitions and hopes for the country but more importandly principles, seem to be totally out of synch with the majority of people. Bertie has the "X" factor that all successful politicians need to have to have mass appeal. He comes across as the average lad who you'd like to have a pint with and a chat. He genuinely loves his sport and uses and manipulates the media fantastically well. The stuff re his family churns my stomach but anyway. There are plenty of nice affable lads from all over the country who have the same interest and personality traits as our taioseach but that doesn't mean they are fit to lead the country. He is a very influential negotiator and I think that is his greatest skill and he has the ability to never have a postiion of principle on any of the major issues facing the country butthe people are happy with that and the job that he and his government has done. I genuinely believe he hasn't taken bribes as overtly as his predecessor or as some of his cabninet colleagues and his lifestyle is certainly not ostentatious but anyone who has been involved in FF politics over the last 25 years as much as he has knows where the skeletons are. Reember him searching every tree in North County Dublin for Rambos funny money. I I've met him on a few occasions and found him to be grand but then again I never got into a deep political philosphical discussion with him.I'll be on the same side as him next Sunday in Croker!!!!

AZOffaly

Ah now blast, in fairness you're giving him a raw deal there. He's been badgered to pose for a family photo since the twins were born, and he said he would do so immediately after the election.

Sure it's the papers making a big deal out of him being a grandad.

There's a pile of other stuff you can throw at him, no doubt about it, but I think you're being too hard for that photo.

lynchbhoy

dunno bogball. I would expect its different things for people.
I cant stand the little fat liar, but I would still prefer him running the country over Enda - cos Enda just seems like he's all talk and no substance behind it (he prob isnt bad, but comes across badly to me at least).

I voted to retain the status quo, no change in gov (well FF staying in power, I am quite happy the pd's have disintegrated).

thats my opinion and my reasoning behind voting FF.
I'd much prefer if they had another night of the long knives and ousted ahearn - much like they did to charlie and poor old Albert.
Cowen would be a far better man - though I think he is almost too straight and unyielding to be a good taoiseach.

AZOffaly

Cowen needs some serious media training. I know he's a dead sound fella and people across the political spectrum will tell you that, but he just comes across as a brusque, grumpy fecker on TV, the odd funny comment aside. It's not necessarily a character flaw to be a bit rough around the edges on the Telly, but in this day of 'Presidential' type campaigns, and airbrushed posters, the big Man would be a little harsh for the general population I think.

Enda Kenny seems to be the polar opposite. Perfect hair, too sweet by half, and continually talking about his contract with the people. He was too much the other way I think, and genuinely needs to become a bit more of a pit bull when he's attacking the government and much more confident when he is putting forward his own proposals.

I think Bertie will be the next Taoiseach. I think Cowan will take over in about 2009, and I think if Enda changes a little in his demeanour and the way he puts his message across, he will be Taoiseach in 2012 if we have any economic downturn or people begin to feel the pinch because of interest rates or inflation.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2007, 10:06:16 AM
Cowen needs some serious media training. I know he's a dead sound fella and people across the political spectrum will tell you that, but he just comes across as a brusque, grumpy fecker on TV, the odd funny comment aside. It's not necessarily a character flaw to be a bit rough around the edges on the Telly, but in this day of 'Presidential' type campaigns, and airbrushed posters, the big Man would be a little harsh for the general population I think.

Enda Kenny seems to be the polar opposite. Perfect hair, too sweet by half, and continually talking about his contract with the people. He was too much the other way I think, and genuinely needs to become a bit more of a pit bull when he's attacking the government and much more confident when he is putting forward his own proposals.

I think Bertie will be the next Taoiseach. I think Cowan will take over in about 2009, and I think if Enda changes a little in his demeanour and the way he puts his message across, he will be Taoiseach in 2012 if we have any economic downturn or people begin to feel the pinch because of interest rates or inflation.
I have no doubts about Cowen and his intelligence and how he can manage money and the country.
The potential problem I think he could have is down to his decency.
Bertie is a two faced fecker and will say whatever people want to hear, will even say the complete opposite to appease opposite factions in a dispute etc.
This though helps him broker deals as he seems to not care what people think and the opinions people will have if they stop to think what kind of a liar/bulls***er he is.
I think Cowen would not be as good in this kind of scenario. In this whingy kiss me @rse unprocedurlaised country , it could be difficult for him.

Billys Boots

Quotewhingy kiss me @rse unprocedurlaised country

You said a pile there Lynchbhoy, fair play.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fishead_Sam

What you will find if you meet Enda Kenny is that he is not as straight collered as he looks on tv, he is probably suffering from his version on Beries anorack stage, but in Endas case, maybe a little too much starch in the shirts, nearly everyone who meets Enda likes him after, I don't like Bertie one bit then again I have never met him but I have been told he a bit the same.

Maybe coming close this election has given Enda the platform of further building his relationship with the Irish people, now they know who he is.

Its a bit unfortunate for him that he mixed up a few figures when the entire country was watching, but Cowan did it when alot less where watching, Im sure had it happened the other way around despite both men later proving their figures correct later, Enda would be Taoiseach by now.

I do believe that he has an outside chance of still becoming Taoiseach & by that very possibility he has left the option open to the Independents & Greens to go with him or scr€w FF in a deal just by the very outside chance that they might go with Enda.

resdubwhite

Has anyone heard the news coming from the Tribunal this morning.

Don't want to say what it is, as I've only heard this second hand.

Fishead_Sam

Without saying is Bertie in trouble or off the hook?

resdubwhite

muppet

Something smells fishy.....shellfishy?
MWWSI 2017

GweylTah

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2007, 10:06:16 AM

Is he like the Republic's version of Gordon Brown?

Anyway, election out of the way, problems may be arising again for the Teflon Taoiseach.

AZOffaly

All this financial stuff may well wear old Bertie down. He certainly seemed sick and tired of it on Friday evening on the TV. I've never seen him so drained looking.

If he goes, will we have an Offaly Taoiseach????

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2007, 01:37:03 PM
All this financial stuff may well wear old Bertie down. He certainly seemed sick and tired of it on Friday evening on the TV. I've never seen him so drained looking.

If he goes, will we have an Offaly Taoiseach????

Better than a Mayo one anyway
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.