Joe Higgins loses seat

Started by magickingdom, May 26, 2007, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: dublin15man on May 28, 2007, 12:58:01 PMFF also deliberately ran Gerry Lynam who would have swept a lot of votes from JH, as they are both from Mulhuddard. Throw in Sinn Fein, and there just wasn't enough working class votes to go around.
Maybe the pool of working class people is shrinking?

Hardy

There y'are BnMMan - the first analyst in the last week to put his finger on that key fact. Though I'd modify it to say that people's horizons have broadened and their opportunities have increased to a level where they see the value of stability and opportunity in an enterprise-friendly economy as opposed to voting for whoever offers the best prospect of handouts. Why and how did this happen, I wonder? Was it because of the policies of Joe Higgins and his like?

In fairness, Ivan Yates's "Breakfast Roll Man" analysis is essentially the same point, I suppose.

Anyway, to get back to the subject, Joe, whose popularity with the media is in inverse proportion to his electoral support, was on the News at One giving his reasons why he lost his seat. He reckons he was gerrymandered out of it. He has a point, when you consider that his neighbouring constiutuency, with a smaller electorate, elected more TDs.  There's a high court challege in process since before the election, about the number of seats. They'll hardly declare the election void, will they?

Mentalman

Quote from: Hardy on May 28, 2007, 03:16:41 PM
Anyway, to get back to the subject, Joe, whose popularity with the media is in inverse proportion to his electoral support, was on the News at One giving his reasons why he lost his seat. He reckons he was gerrymandered out of it. He has a point, when you consider that his neighbouring constiutuency, with a smaller electorate, elected more TDs.  There's a high court challege in process since before the election, about the number of seats. They'll hardly declare the election void, will they?

When e-voting didn't void an election nothing ever will  :)

Seems to be par for the course. Heard Donie "The Rug" Cassidy doing the same, lamenting the reabsorbtion of Delvin and Castlepollard into "Meath West" from Westmeath, for the first time since since Henry 8th rent them asunder...never thought I'd hear the day when anyone would want the likes of Delvin or Castlepollard in their county...more likely to fight to get rid of them.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."