LIAM HANNAWAY HUNGER STRIKE

Started by funtime frankie, May 24, 2010, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funtime frankie

Has anybody any idea why this fella is on hunger strike?

He's now 41 days into his strike which means its now in the critical phase and I'm worried that we are walking into the past without even realising it.

I'd be interested to find out what Hannaway's grievance is to drive him to hunger strike.

orangeman

Adams cousin in hunger strike death request
Times Online 23/05/10

A second cousin of Gerry Adams, the Sinn Fein leader, is entering his 40th day on hunger strike this week and has signed legal papers stating that he should not be revived if he slips into unconsciousness.

Liam Hannaway, a Republican dissident prisoner in his late thirties, started his fast inside the Maghaberry high security prison outside Belfast in protest at being held in its special segregation unit. He wants to be moved into the republican wing of the prison.

Hannaway is a member of a well-known Belfast republican family and his grandfather, also Liam, was one of the founders of the Provisional IRA.

Supporters of the prisoner, who belongs to Saor Uladh, a republican splinter group opposed to the peace process, confirmed he has left instructions that he should not be revived in the prison hospital.

Carl Reilly from the Republican Network for Unity, said he had spoken to Hannaway's father on Friday evening. Asked about reports that Hannaway had left instructions about what should happen if he becomes unconscious, Reilly said: "Yes, I am led to believe that."

"We are entering a critical phase," he said. "Liam was already being treated for coronary problems before he went on his hunger strike. The prison authorities and the Northern Ireland Office have been trying to play this situation down but now it has reached a serious turning point."

Reilly said Hannaway alleged he had been subject to brutality in the special segregation unit. He also alleged his food had been tampered with by loyalists working in the kitchens.

Hannaway, who is serving 10 years for possessing explosives, has demanded a transfer to a part of the jail that holds 32 republicans aligned to the Real IRA and the Continuity IRA.

"The Northern Ireland Office and prison service claim there is intelligence from the police that Liam's life would be under threat from rival republicans if he was transferred to their houses," Reilly said. "Republican Unity Network has spoken to all the major republican organisations with prisoners in Roe houses 3 and 4 in Maghaberry and all of them say there is absolutely no threat to Liam Hannaway."

The Northern Ireland Prison Service said this weekend Hannaway had not applied for a transfer. He added: "The Prison Service is attempting to work through the issues of concern with Mr Hannaway. However, the safety of prisoners is paramount and the Prison Service has received intelligence of a specific threat against Mr Hannaway. We cannot comment on the nature of the threat."

Minder

Cousin of Gerry Adams according to the Sunday Times.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Why have we not heard about this before now ??

Why no song and dance ? Why no beating of bin lids in Andersonstown, The Creggan etc ?

Ulick

Quote from: orangeman on May 24, 2010, 05:32:52 PM

Why no song and dance ? Why no beating of bin lids in Andersonstown, The Creggan etc ?

Maybe people are afraid to voice concern in case they end up on Hardy's RIRA suspect list and before they know it are charged with building a bomb factory from sticky back tape and a corn flakes box.

orangeman

Quote from: Ulick on May 24, 2010, 05:41:37 PM

Maybe people are afraid to voice concern in case they end up on Hardy's RIRA suspect list and before they know it are charged with building a bomb factory from sticky back tape and a corn flakes box.

:D

Tony Baloney

Wrong type of republican.

orangeman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 24, 2010, 05:48:56 PM

Wrong type of republican.

It didn't matter back in the day, all Irish men were equal fighting the same fight, regardless of whether they were PIRA, INLA, IPLO etc etc.

All a matter of timing.

There's an Irishman starving to death for his "causeĀ£ and there's not a word about it ???

Newsmanagement at its best.

longrunsthefox

They don't have the popular support but it is very concerning that this man is so long on hunger strike. He should not be abandoned by nationalist/Republican politicians.

orangeman

Quote from: longrunsthefox on May 24, 2010, 05:54:39 PM
They don't have the popular support but it is very concerning that this man is so long on hunger strike.

I know they don't have the popular suport but is concerning that an Irishman in a British jail is dying from hunger and the politicians, media aren't making an issue of it.

Incredible. I knew we had supposedly moved on but this is ridiculous.

Hardy

Quote from: Ulick on May 24, 2010, 05:41:37 PM

That's cheap and pathetic, Ulick. Debate the debate in the debate forum and don't drag me into a thread I made no comment on. For the record, though it shouldn't be necessary to point this out to reasonable people, I don't, of course, have a RIRA suspect list. And nobody has been charged with building a bomb factory.

Evil Genius

"We'll never forget you,    ... hang on! What was his name again?"
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Ulick

Quote from: Hardy on May 24, 2010, 06:24:56 PM
That's cheap and pathetic, Ulick. Debate the debate in the debate forum and don't drag me into a thread I made no comment on. For the record, though it shouldn't be necessary to point this out to reasonable people, I don't, of course, have a RIRA suspect list. And nobody has been charged with building a bomb factory.

Just using your attitude on the other thread as an example Hardy. If people believe that they will be put onto some RIRA suspects list by commenting on such incidents then they will be reluctant to do so - you only have to look at some of the replies I'm getting there for daring to suggest that there should be a presumption of innocence in a paramilitary case.   

Hardy

Where has there been a presumption of guilt?

Ulick

Quote from: Hardy on May 24, 2010, 07:12:01 PM
Where has there been a presumption of guilt?

The press releases.