All Ireland U20 football championship 2023

Started by Blowitupref, April 27, 2023, 06:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

Yeah it was a forced change when No 20 Hanafin came on and he really did a great job on Down's No 8 who was lording it. It also meant the keeper couldn't ping it long as much on him as our lad was bigger.

Ah like Kildare kicked some awful wides in that dry spell but they are really mature football wise. As the game went on the joint captains Harry O'Neill (2) and Farrell (9) came more involved and the centre back was starting to motor.

Amazing game and raging I'm away for the final. Hope they do it naturally but it's bad that you would be depriving a massive win for Sligo if we win.

They are essentially kids at that age so both teams made some silly mistakes but for heart on the sleeve football the Leinster Final and that game are heard to better.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

yellowcard

Great win for Sligo and Kildare and sets up a real novel final pairing which is great for football as a whole. Would love to see Sligo win it outright now and given the calibre of the teams they have beaten they would have decent chance.

In the second game Kildare we're much the better side I felt, Down done well to stay in the game for as long as they did. Bad week for Laverty who will have learned that it's not really feasible to try double jobbing. They need to find a few bigger more physical players and veer away from running the ball up the field in every attack, they simply didn't have enough players who can win their own ball and the same thing is very evident at senior level.

Nanderson

Quote from: yellowcard on May 07, 2023, 01:06:40 PM
Great win for Sligo and Kildare and sets up a real novel final pairing which is great for football as a whole. Would love to see Sligo win it outright now and given the calibre of the teams they have beaten they would have decent chance.

In the second game Kildare we're much the better side I felt, Down done well to stay in the game for as long as they did. Bad week for Laverty who will have learned that it's not really feasible to try double jobbing. They need to find a few bigger more physical players and veer away from running the ball up the field in every attack, they simply didn't have enough players who can win their own ball and the same thing is very evident at senior level.
Don't see how anything Laverty done could have been done better if he wasn't double jobbing. Its good that he's gave lads that are between 18-22 now (in his 3 years as U20 manager) a taste of the style of football he wants to play and this should stand to them for the next hopefully 5 or so years that he should be given as a minimum. Yes there are some bigger men in Down but i'd rather we have as many of the best players playing rather than throwing in a couple of fellas who are 6ft+ just for the craic

yellowcard

Quote from: Nanderson on May 07, 2023, 01:50:34 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 07, 2023, 01:06:40 PM

Don't see how anything Laverty done could have been done better if he wasn't double jobbing. Its good that he's gave lads that are between 18-22 now (in his 3 years as U20 manager) a taste of the style of football he wants to play and this should stand to them for the next hopefully 5 or so years that he should be given as a minimum. Yes there are some bigger men in Down but i'd rather we have as many of the best players playing rather than throwing in a couple of fellas who are 6ft+ just for the craic

I wouldn't necessarily blame him either defeat but he seems to have an obsession with the Kilcoo blueprint and playing small ball carrying athletic players. It takes a lot of time and energy to prepare a side at senior county level and there are only so many hours in the week. Trying to manage about 70 players and back room teams simultaneously can't be easy and I can't see how it wouldn't have an impact.

Mourne Rover

When Laverty was appointed as Down's u20 manager, our total number of provincial titles at the three grades over the previous decade was zero. Given that he has now won two of the last three Ulster u20 championships, it is a little surprising to find some people questioning his performance.

thewobbler

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 07, 2023, 02:44:26 PM
When Laverty was appointed as Down's u20 manager, our total number of provincial titles at the three grades over the previous decade was zero. Given that he has now won two of the last three Ulster u20 championships, it is a little surprising to find some people questioning his performance.

It's not surprising. But it is absolutely f**king absurd.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: yellowcard on May 07, 2023, 02:30:08 PM
I wouldn't necessarily blame him either defeat but he seems to have an obsession with the Kilcoo blueprint and playing small ball carrying athletic players. It takes a lot of time and energy to prepare a side at senior county level and there are only so many hours in the week. Trying to manage about 70 players and back room teams simultaneously can't be easy and I can't see how it wouldn't have an impact.

Might the obvious reason not be that we don't have good large ball carrying athletic players?
i usse an speelchekor

Blowitupref

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 06, 2023, 09:28:13 PM
All Ireland final confirmed for Saturday, May 13th at 14.45 in Breffni Park.

An update, Throw in time changed to 1.30pm, Tailteann Cup Cavan v Laois game on after it at 4pm.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Unlaoised

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 08, 2023, 01:25:35 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 06, 2023, 09:28:13 PM
All Ireland final confirmed for Saturday, May 13th at 14.45 in Breffni Park.

An update, Throw in time changed to 1.30pm, Tailteann Cup Cavan v Laois game on after it at 4pm.

Strange venue choice for kildare support to travel too
LAOIS ABÚ

Rossfan

Didn't those Counties play the Semi Final there last year?
It's a real neutral venue for both.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Yes same venue as last years All-Ireland semi final between the two. Connacht champions v Leinster champions with the final played in Cavan. That's as neutral as it gets. Just Leitrim in between Cavan for Sligo and Meath in between for Kildare.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

full moon

Are they expecting a big crowd for this? I recall a large crowd for an U20 All Ireland in Breifne years ago, but tbh I'm not sure its great time of day for it now, very early and lost amidst the senior stuff.

Cavan Laois is €20 quid I believe, that is double the price of the same Tailteann match last year I'd be expecting a fairly average crowd for that game tomorrow for various reasons.

Hound

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 12, 2023, 12:21:15 PM
Yes same venue as last years All-Ireland semi final between the two. Connacht champions v Leinster champions with the final played in Cavan. That's as neutral as it gets. Just Leitrim in between Cavan for Sligo and Meath in between for Kildare.
But would Croke Park not be better for an All Ireland final?

full moon

Quote from: Hound on May 12, 2023, 01:25:30 PM
Personally I think Croke Park should be used less, it's terrible unless at least half full. The atmosphere is awful and makes the game feel smalltime.

The hurling folk have sussed that out and that's another reason the Munster championship has such a good atmosphere, it's in sold out appropriate venues.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on May 12, 2023, 01:25:30 PM

Open for debate.  This is the 6th U20 AI final with 3 of them was played in Croke Park and the other three played in provincial grounds in Carrick On Shannon,Portlaoise and now Cavan.  Doubtful if the 2020,2021 finals would have been played in Croke park but for Covid.

The last 6 U21 All Ireland finals 2017 to 2012 the finals was played in Tullamore,Ennis.Parnell Park,Tullamore,Limerick and Tullamore again.