Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

There is a radical overhaul needed on and off the field . There is more than the players that have to answer to this .

Laoiseabu

I know I sound like a gobshite saying this but I will say it anyway. I saw Kildare in the division 2 final and they were very poor against Galway. They were beaten by a poor Derry side in the league and were very lucky to scrape over Clare by the skin of their teeth. Just a year ago a division 4 Westmeath side beat them in Leinster. Now don't get me wrong but they are way ahead of us at the moment but they are not that hot themselves. I think a lot of why they looked so great yesterday was down to Laois poorness . We are division 4 remember and not being for dosent help matters at all.

Laoiseabu

It was embarrassing to see Laois supporters heading for the gates five minutes into the second half and Kildare were just toying with us for the second half without their two first choice fowards . I can't see the positives and I can't see what benefits the qualifiers will give us . This won't be a quick fix either things need serious addressing NOW. I think things will get worse before better too judging by the age profile of our key players.

High Fielder

Quote from: Laoiseabu on June 05, 2017, 12:06:57 PM
Does anyone know what sort of fitness training and conditioning Creedon has being doing over the last few months . He claimed in his interview they were training hard but Kildare looked far more conditioned and sharper that's a worry . The least you can do is be fit for the championship at county level . What is it? What's the point in investing money in managerial setups if you can't even get fit which is a basic requirement of even club teams let alone county

Kildare got sick of being bullied. They now go for big athletic types over smaller, more skillful lads. This is evident even in their underage teams, As a plan it's limited enough, but it's a plan nonetheless. I thought their backs looked less than comfortable on the back foot, particularly their number 5. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough about us to expose that, but it will be exposed. Of that I have no doubt. Kildare are fit, move well and support each other. They are not the most naturally gifted team you are likely to see, but they will work hard for you. We on the other hand are a cobbled together outfit with some decent footballers and a lot of lads who either aren't ready or are nowhere near good enough. In truth, in the entire county, I reckon we could put together 7 or 8 Division 2 standard players, but after that, we'd be struggling. Talk about Creedon is missing the point. No coach could make good of Laois at the moment. In fact, a coach is the least of our worries. We need to go all the way back and start developing lads slowly and properly. It's going to take a long time

Downtheroad

If you think things are bad now, you can get a glimpse of the future by looking at the tables below for the under 14 "B" competition.  Only 4 of the current senior clubs are playing in the "A"  division in under 14. These are Portlaoise,  Portarlington,  Ballyroan and St Josephs. The other 12 clubs are in the "B". Some of the results make grim reading. 

http://www.laoisgaa.ie/league/115796/u-14_b_f_l_group_a

http://www.laoisgaa.ie/league/115795/u-14_b_f_l_group_b

clonadmad

Quote from: Downtheroad on June 05, 2017, 12:43:46 PM

If you think things are bad now, you can get a glimpse of the future by looking at the tables below for the under 14 "B" competition.  Only 4 of the current senior clubs are playing in the "A"  division in under 14. These are Portlaoise,  Portarlington,  Ballyroan and St Josephs. The other 12 clubs are in the "B". Some of the results make grim reading. 

3 of the 4 semi finalists in that grade  are dual clubs,graigue being the exception

It begs the question what are the football only clubs at?.

Nameless

We need a complete change in approach and attitude. That's from everybody. Those involved in running things, coaching, clubs and supporters. We actually had someone in charge of this group of players who was in touch with the modern game and what was needed. Justin McNulty had them strong, fit and set up to compete but he was ran out of the county. We replaced him with a list of old school amateurs and we've paid the price. This group of players have paid the price. They are forced to compete against teams who've had 4 or 5 years of superior strength and conditioning programs in place.
And it works from the top down. If the senior team isn't getting adequate preparation then how will the underage teams get it? Our underage teams have been overran and overpowered for a good few years now and nothing is changing. We're living in the past, trying to produce nice dandy footballers and watching them being swathed aside year on year. Hopefully this is rock bottom and something changes from here but I doubt it.

Keyser Söze

Very little heart and passion shown.
The fact is that we are now a soft touch on two fronts.

1) For well set up teams like Kildare who destroy us on a regular basis

and

2) For mediocre managers on the well paid merry go round.

Eamon McGee's take on his post match interview was telling. Still, what would he know!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Laoiseabu

Creedon wants four or five seasons including this season and he reckons we will be in division 1 ? Opinions?

County Man

Gutted with another heavy loss to Kildare. Never expected to win but thought we could make them earn the win.

Started ok for first 20 minutes. Sublime goal by Donie Kingston as well. Then we ran out of steam.

I thought we would put up some sort of battle in 2nd half but really Kildare won at a canter.

The big difference was the lack of fitness, strength and conditioning.

Hopefully we can get a home draw now in the qualifiers and try to make amends for the defeat. Try to finish off whats left of the season on a positive note.

Laois Abu.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Laoiseabu on June 05, 2017, 01:31:13 PM
Creedon wants four or five seasons including this season and he reckons we will be in division 1 ? Opinions?

Anyone is entitled to time, or to look for it in any case.

BUT!

I have seen or heard nothing that suggests he is capable of improving this (or any other) intercounty team.
He wasn't appointed late, had all possible resources available to him, and has been given an extremely easy ride by supporters and press.
Nobody expected a Leinster title. All he had to do was get the team organised and fit enough to compete in Division 3 (i.e. Don't get relegated) and look competitive yesterday. Failed miserably.
The usual excuses have already been presented by some here;
     Takes time to get a team fit....
     We don't have the players.....
     He's trying to make up for the previous manager......

We were bloody competitive v Dublin and beat Armagh (twice!!) last Summer. It wasn't FatClub he was coming into.

He has failed miserably, who would have done better- I don't know.
It would be some leap of faith to give this fella 3-4 years!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

SCFC

Quote from: clonadmad on June 05, 2017, 12:59:11 PM

3 of the 4 semi finalists in that grade  are dual clubs,graigue being the exception

This is a good point. By the way, who are Na Fianna Og? Is it the two Arles teams seeing sense at last and coming together?

The only other A under 14 team is St Pauls which is 2 intermediate teams together.

Graigue should never be in B, that's just not on. And between Stradbally, Timahoe and Annanough, surely they should be A?

Of course Mountmellick abandoning the Ballyfin amalgamation was crazy too. What is B football doing for them?

ILikeStrawberryJam

Thats twice in tullamore in a month we looked clueless.
Obviously this is much bigger than Creedon and i wanted to give him time but
we were a shambles. I just dont see any tactics. I dont see any movement in the forwards.
Horse it into Donie and hope for the best.

I remember someone saying a couple of years ago we're heading the way of offaly.
We've past them .. carlow would fancy their chances now ..

Maybe Creedon is a good underage coach not a county manager and thats where all the focus has to be for the next 5 or 6 years ..

SCFC

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on June 05, 2017, 02:42:01 PM
Thats twice in tullamore in a month we looked clueless.
Obviously this is much bigger than Creedon and i wanted to give him time but
we were a shambles. I just dont see any tactics. I dont see any movement in the forwards.
Horse it into Donie and hope for the best.

I remember someone saying a couple of years ago we're heading the way of offaly.
We've past them .. carlow would fancy their chances now ..

Maybe Creedon is a good underage coach not a county manager and thats where all the focus has to be for the next 5 or 6 years ..

I would have said back Creedon until the championship was over. Maybe we'll get a fantastic run in the qualifiers but right now you'd have to say that's unlikely. I'll judge him then but it doesn't look like it's going to be a pass mark.
But then, you wonder, what the hell is changing to our 3rd manager in 3 years going to do, our 4th in 5 years?
I don't know the answer but I have to disagree with some previous posters. We do not have the players. There are sod all players out there not committing to the county panel that would improve our lot. Healy maybe (he is 31 or 32 though). Boyle and Cahillane from Portlaoise. Possibly young Murphy in Port who is a fine player. Maybe Matty Campion? We have been turning out poor to average minor and under 21 teams for far too long now and the upshot is the senior squad is slowly deteriorating year by year.
On a side note, I wonder was that Ross's last appearance in a county jersey? If so, what a sad way for him to finish up after such a wonderful contribution to the cause for 15 years.

clonadmad

Quote from: SCFC on June 05, 2017, 02:39:53 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on June 05, 2017, 12:59:11 PM

This is a good point. By the way, who are Na Fianna Og? Is it the two Arles teams seeing sense at last and coming together?

The only other A under 14 team is St Pauls which is 2 intermediate teams together.

Graigue should never be in B, that's just not on. And between Stradbally, Timahoe and Annanough, surely they should be A?

Of course Mountmellick abandoning the Ballyfin amalgamation was crazy too. What is B football doing for them?

Na Fianna are the 2 Arles,finally some heads being knocked together over there,even if it is at least 10 years too late.

The likes of SPG need to have a good look at themselves too,all very saying well they should be in A,when their results are saying the opposite.

Whats going on at this grade will see chickens coming home to roost around 2026/27,no doubt it will be the Senior County Manager's fault then also.