"GAA in Armagh" Exhibition in Cardinal O'Fiaich Library.

Started by T Fearon, May 30, 2007, 11:44:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Visited this for the first time yesterday (in the Cardinal O' Fiaich Library just behind the Cathedral and my alma mater) and was mightly impressed. Brought back a lot of memories and some great club exhibits on show as well. Amazing how far Armagh football has come in thirty years, in 1973 we couldn't even field a team in Leitrim for a NFL Game, and newspaper reports at the time highlight the dilemma facing Armagh football, with the County Board threatening to resign en masse.A few great photos of a baby faced Neil Lennon with St Michael's HS Lurgan team in 1984 as well.

Good to see the visitors book signed by people from as far away as Cork.

The only downside is the plethora of Armagh CBS photos etc. Granted they were technically more successful in the 70s and 80s than St Pats, then again they were only playing B Football ;D

rolloutking

Is the Mac Rory cup there? By this i mean the Armagh Hurling Championship, not the Colleges one?

Donagh

Quote from: T Fearon on May 30, 2007, 11:44:27 AM
A few great photos of a baby faced Neil Lennon with St Michael's HS Lurgan team in 1984 as well.

No way he was there in '84 and it was St Michael's GS even then...

ONeill

He'd have been 13 then. Lennon did collect an All-Ireland with Lurgan in 87.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DrinkingHarp

Another great place to visit is the Cardinal O'Fiaich Center in Cullyhana. Full of history of the Cardinal and South Armagh.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Aerlik

Aye, I reckon you messed up there TF.  I was on the St.Pat's Maghera panel that day, and that would have made Lennon about 12 or 13.  And we all know that the youngest ever MacRory finalist/winner(?) was a certain St.Pat's Maghera a few short years before that.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

T Fearon

Er I think if you check my post, you will find that I did not mention anything about Neill Lennon playing in the Mc Rory Cup nor was his photo in connection with a Mc Rory side. I can confirm that there is a photo of Neil, baby faced with a full wee head of ginger hair, with a St Michael's High or Grammar School team circa 1984. Seamie Heffron has a full head of black hair in the same photo!

There is also the team sheet/programme from the Ulster Minor Football  Final of 1989, with Neil at right half forward on the minor team that day, alongside the likes of Cathal O'Rourke, and Neil's photo has been extracted from the team photograph.

Lecale2

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on June 02, 2007, 07:36:27 AM
Another great place to visit is the Cardinal O'Fiaich Center in Cullyhana. Full of history of the Cardinal and South Armagh.

I know the place you mean. Pathetic! It's like something you'd find on Craggy Island.

armaghniac

Quoteeveryone knows Joe Kernan invented Gaelic Football in 2002

everyone doesn't know this, you only see this sort of shite in your contributions. Sure Armagh was winning Ulster titles for 60 years before Down got started.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Five Times, you have won one more All Ireland than Wexford, though unlike Down, they have long since stopped boasting

Onlooker

Just for the record, Wexford have won the same number of All Irelands as Down (5 each).  Kildare and Tipperary are the counties with 4 All Irelands each.

armaghniac

QuoteJust for the record, Wexford have won the same number of All Irelands as Down (5 each).  Kildare and Tipperary are the counties with 4 All Irelands each.

and those numbers are likely to stay that way for a long time to come.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

And just like Down's five wins, they too have been forgotten too ;D.

Whats the old adage, you're only as good as your last game?

Uladh

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 04, 2007, 05:57:55 PM
Even Wexford and Kildare have more Sams than Armagh and they dont think they invented the game.

you think they think that.... or rather thereĀ“s not a single argument you can make to change that status of our counties today and it pisses you off no end!

Uladh

Armagh are one of the best teams in ireland and down are.... well, shite.