Amazon Echo/Google Home

Started by gallsman, July 21, 2017, 12:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Anybody got any of these? Bought a few Echo devices on Prime Day last week and have been very impressed so far.

Don Johnson

I got a Dot to take on holidays to use as a speaker, really liked it. Since got an Echo as well, use one upstairs and one downstairs. I have Amazon Prime so I get a lot of music through it.

It's useful even for the weather updates in the morning, then setting timers for cooking etc.

Taylor

If you are someone that embraces technology it is fantastic device.

Have it in kitchen and it can compile your shopping list etc for you

Don Johnson

I would like to eventually have it hooked up to Hive or smart bulbs when we move house next year or so.

gallsman

I have one Echo, two dots and one fancy speaker that I connect them to. Playing music and radio is great but I'm only discovering the extent of the various skills now - ordering Uber, or a pizza from Dominos etc.

Have watched a video online about a workaround for how to get Google Assistant working on Echo devices, which would be brilliant as could then sync reminders, alarms etc. Think you have to go "Alexa, ask Google to..."  :) :)

Tony Baloney

Could I run Spotify through these yokes or will I be tied to playing music through Prime etc?

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 21, 2017, 02:02:49 PM
Could I run Spotify through these yokes or will I be tied to playing music through Prime etc?

Spotify is a built in in skill, works flawlessly. Google Play Music won't work however for anyone (like me!) who uses it.

If you intend on really using it for music at high quality, I'd recommend getting the combination of the Echo Dot and a good Bluetooth speaker.

take_yer_points

I've the echo dot. I bought a couple of TP Link smart plugs to control the heating in the house. Can either use the echo dot or an app on the phone, great job. Use it for podcasts, radio and music as well

StephenC

I have one but have never (and probably will never) take full advantage of.

I use it for Spotify mainly. For some fun ask Alexa ... Tell me a joke ... What have the Romans ever done for us?

Owen Brannigan

Should I buy a Dot to start or go for the Echo?

gallsman

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 21, 2017, 09:34:04 PM
Should I buy a Dot to start or go for the Echo?

I rushed to buy the Echo on Prime Day and then bought Dot because they had good Dot/Speaker combos.

Depends on what you want it for I guess. If you want high quality sound, the Echo is better than the Dot, but the Dot connected to a good speaker would be better than the Echo by itself. Functionally, the Dot can do everything the Echo can, so if you just want out for maybe radio in the morning and occasional query, a Dot on its own might suffice.

balladmaker

Have the dot, great for the radio using TuneIn, also great for Spotify.  Find myself talking to it, asking meaningless questions just for the craic, don't think I'll ever use it to it's full potential.

Mikhail Prokhorov

how lazy are people getting, holy feck

DickyRock

I have a Dot but I unplugged it when I heard that they were keeping what you say to it.That was a few months ago. I'm glad it is where it is as there is now this -> https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/12/15960596/amazon-alexa-echo-speaker-audio-recordings-developers-data

MoChara

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on July 22, 2017, 01:10:30 AM
how lazy are people getting, holy feck

I'm not sure, I'll ask my phone