Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 23, 2017, 08:51:00 PM
While all new money is good for Antrim GAA I hope, if you are right and Antrim get money for 10 new coaches for the schools, there is money to run a proper fixture schedules for juveniles. As a coach across a number of age ranges in Belfast our main problem is the season is so short i.e. April to September with no matches in July so 5 months only. This isn't enough matches to stop lads drifting off to other sports. We need money for full time competition administrators to book 4-G pitches, run winter leagues etc so lads will have enough of a season to dedicate themselves to GAA and fulfill their potential. Simply lads want to be play more than be coached and ignoring the lack of a 9/10 month fixture calendar and concentrating on coaching only is a mistake - like to hear others thoughts on this issue...............

Throw money at Belfast GAA and it'll fix it.

Milltown Row2

Listen Belfast needs it, we've the worst clubs in the land sure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hectic

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 23, 2017, 10:38:46 PM
Listen Belfast needs it, we've the worst clubs in the land sure

I would throw a large chunk of resource at Belfast if it was available. Bullshit to say worst clubs in the land and I know ypu are being facetious but there is simply a large population not being fully exploited and rather than being good a lot of Belfast clubs have the potential to be outstanding if it could be more harnessed.

Milltown Row2

Getting money and doing the right thing with it can prove very difficult...Antrim needs to follow a model that's worked but of course what works in, let's say Dublin, might not 100% apply to Belfast, different needs different outlook... course Belfast can and should have more potential so be interesting to see the blueprint
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I was talking to a person a few days ago who should know what he's talking about (played for county for years, won 3 or 4 cship medals with club, managed too) and he is connected to a large Belfast Grammar/Secondary school. He has his finger on the pulse too of colleges football etc etc. So I take his opinion seriously.

He is adamant that for the dozens of good footballers that left his school over the last two decades to go on to play county football, he could name dozens of others too who were AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER, who slipped through the net for different reasons, but in quite a lot of cases, to play soccer.

That's the wastage rate Antrim is suffering from, and that's the hole we need to try to plug. Hopefully extra coaches (and games too Belfast GAA man) will help to promote the sport better and the New Casement stadium might help to sex up our games a bit too (especially in non traditional GAA families) when that great facility is ready.

These are challenges we need to face up to, but it's not unrealistic to believe that collectively it will make a positive difference.

bannside

Anyone here remember the O Hara report or better still got a copy of it?

country bumpkin

Can your knowledgeable teacher mate remember when a Belfast college last won a Mc Crory cup  BS......?

bannside

bannside

The strong influence from his school played a pivotal role in that years Antrim minor team.

bannside

They won the Ulster minor championship too. This demonstrates the importance of a strong Belfast. Does this help shape your thinking a bit better CB?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 24, 2017, 11:29:00 AM
Can your knowledgeable teacher mate remember when a Belfast college last won a Mc Crory cup  BS......?

When was the last Donegal college to win MacRory cup CB? And Donegal have done pretty well at football at senior level

JimStynes

Who's running that u13 football tournament that was advertised last week?

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on September 24, 2017, 11:34:26 AM
They won the Ulster minor championship too. This demonstrates the importance of a strong Belfast. Does this help shape your thinking a bit better CB?
My thinking is I have heard it all before BS......and I have seen  a few excellent county managers subjected to whispering campaigns to force them out.....John Morrison...Baker  for example....Ditzy joins the band.
Incidentally see u have abandoned ur previous support for Austerity in Saffron....no more packed lunches.
Think ur teacher friend has gotten his dates a trifle mixed...St Marys were last Mc Crory winners in 1986....afraid Antrim last win an Ulster minor football title was/82....remember it well....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 24, 2017, 06:32:23 PM
My thinking is I have heard it all before BS......and I have seen  a few excellent county managers subjected to whispering campaigns to force them out.....John Morrison...Baker  for example....Ditzy joins the band.
Incidentally see u have abandoned ur previous support for Austerity in Saffron....no more packed lunches.
Think ur teacher friend has gotten his dates a trifle mixed...St Marys were last Mc Crory winners in 1986....afraid Antrim last win an Ulster minor football title was/82....remember it well....

And Donegal's ability to never win college football but win some all Irelands means it doesn't mean a strong school success works out at senior county! How many titles have the SW schools managed?

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2017, 07:11:57 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on September 24, 2017, 06:32:23 PM

And Donegal's ability to never win college football but win some all Irelands means it doesn't mean a strong school success works out at senior county! How many titles have the SW schools managed?
No colleges in the S West MR2......thought a smart lad like u would know that even though u never seem to make it this far.
Can assure you that their are more than a. few Mc Crory medals jangling in the pockets of S West based players.....think they have picked up 9 or 10 this year