Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: heffo on December 19, 2019, 02:05:16 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 19, 2019, 11:31:59 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 19, 2019, 10:47:03 AM
I see Terry Hyland has retired Emlyn Mulligan!

Seems like Hyland didn't take to kindly to him walking away from the panel last summer. Reading his interview today, he's not retired but knows he won't play for Leitrim again until a new manager is in place.

He announced his retirement then he expected to not contact the manager to make himself available but for the manager to go cap in hand to him?

I don't believe he ever did that, just walked away after the provincial championship exit last summer, (that will happen plentyful next summer for players from the "lesser" counties) Going by his recent interview he expected to return for the 2020 season but Hyland has moved on without him.

Westside

"As much as my mind wanted me to stay, the knees were starting to give me a lot of trouble. I was having to ice them constantly. Not starting the last day was maybe the push I needed to call it quits. I won't say I'm retired, but it'll be good to go back and give the club my full commitment for a while"

Now he's saying the body still feels as good as it ever has... A large ego who looks out for No. 1, his absence will be better for Leitrim in the long term.

BennyCake

Cian Mackey retired from Cavan

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BennyCake on January 10, 2020, 05:23:42 PM

Good player, could score some long range points that few other Cavan forwards. Made his debut in 2005? Serious commitment to the cause

rodney trotter

The Hill is Blue

Clucko is staying on  ;)
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Lar Naparka

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on January 10, 2020, 06:10:39 PM
Clucko is staying on  ;)
So is Dermo. Glad to see the pair are staying on. Pure class, the pair of them.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mrdeeds

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 10, 2020, 05:44:07 PM

Good player, could score some long range points that few other Cavan forwards. Made his debut in 2005? Serious commitment to the cause

Yeah 2005 while still a minor.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on January 10, 2020, 10:11:57 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 10, 2020, 05:44:07 PM

Yeah 2005 while still a minor.

Mixed feeling on this. Grateful for all the great games he played but also a sense of he could've been better went on longer if his discipline and professionalism was better and I think he will regret that when he gets to 40. Sounds harsh but that's how I see it.

Captain Obvious

Another 2012 Donegal All Ireland winner retires. Leo McLoone.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 28, 2020, 06:20:07 PM
Another 2012 Donegal All Ireland winner retires. Leo McLoone.

An underrated player at inter county level, Leo. Often popped up with an important and nicely finished goal, and a very good ball carrier and winner. Rory Gallagher sidelined him one season, and I could never understand why. Was arguably the best performer through the season in the U21 team that lost the 2010 AI to Dublin when Murphy missed the last minute penalty.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 26, 2020, 04:02:04 PM
Kieran Fitzgerald announces his retirement, some career he had.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/galway-and-corofin-stalwart-kieran-fitzgerald-announces-his-retirement-39157902.html?

Yes, and hit with the death of his girlfriend Mairead Meehan (sister of the Meehans Caltra) in 2007.

GalwayBayBoy

Duine Eile

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 26, 2020, 06:33:02 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 26, 2020, 04:02:04 PM
Kieran Fitzgerald announces his retirement, some career he had.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/galway-and-corofin-stalwart-kieran-fitzgerald-announces-his-retirement-39157902.html?

Yes, and hit with the death of his girlfriend Mairead Meehan (sister of the Meehans Caltra) in 2007.

Not sure what place that has here, I don't think Kieran himself would appreciate comments like that.