Tg4. & eir live weekend games 17/18 march for allianz 2018

Started by cornetto, January 20, 2018, 12:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Wouldn't have said either team was the better side. Ghealtach had far more possession but never looked like doing anything with it. If a team doesn't shoot in the first 21 minutes then goes 24 minutes in the second half without scoring they don't deserve to win. The fact An ghealtacht didn't score enough against them despite 80% possession makes me question an Ghealtach though. Were they really the better side?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

longballin

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 27, 2018, 04:44:32 PM
That was shocking stuff where the better team were clearly beaten, Moy got very very lucky; They showed no ambition to win in the last 15 minutes, their manager is a very lucky man as the win had nothing to with anything he did.

probably be relegated next year  :D

theticklemister

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on January 27, 2018, 04:43:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 27, 2018, 04:40:43 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 27, 2018, 04:32:36 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 27, 2018, 04:28:55 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 27, 2018, 04:27:05 PM
Puke football alive and well in Tyrone.  Awful to watch

Alive and well in Kerry more like.

I'd have no grá for Kerry teams, but Moy were a man up, losing the game and yet they were defending with everyone back and no ambition going forward until injury time smash and grab.
The impetus should have been with them to attack

And An Gaeltacht had 80% of the possession, they had numerous chances to take shots on but were too preoccupied with keeping possession that they let scoring chances pass by.

That's Puke football to me.

I'm not trying to defend An Ghaeltacht - they contributed to an awful spectacle. But surely the reason they didn't take on the shots was becauw3 there were so many blue jerseys around them.
Some think the end justifies the means, some think there should be some entertainment and positivity from a game of football

Like the teams out west. Real football.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Tubberman on January 27, 2018, 04:43:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 27, 2018, 04:40:43 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 27, 2018, 04:32:36 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 27, 2018, 04:28:55 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 27, 2018, 04:27:05 PM
Puke football alive and well in Tyrone.  Awful to watch

Alive and well in Kerry more like.

I'd have no grá for Kerry teams, but Moy were a man up, losing the game and yet they were defending with everyone back and no ambition going forward until injury time smash and grab.
The impetus should have been with them to attack

And An Gaeltacht had 80% of the possession, they had numerous chances to take shots on but were too preoccupied with keeping possession that they let scoring chances pass by.

That's Puke football to me.

I'm not trying to defend An Ghaeltacht - they contributed to an awful spectacle. But surely the reason they didn't take on the shots was becauw3 there were so many blue jerseys around them.
Some think the end justifies the means, some think there should be some entertainment and positivity from a game of football

It was because they were too preoccupied with killing time and holding onto rather than putting that dominance onto the scoreboard. They were 3/1 outsiders and won.

befair

A depressing spectacle, but as long as the rules reward the defensive approach it will only get worse. Entirely typical of many club games I watched during the year; the lower the grade, the more defensive it gets. Don't know what the solution will be.

lenny

Quote from: befair on January 27, 2018, 07:01:12 PM
A depressing spectacle, but as long as the rules reward the defensive approach it will only get worse. Entirely typical of many club games I watched during the year; the lower the grade, the more defensive it gets. Don't know what the solution will be.

Brutal game. Moy were lucky but cavanagh seemed to have a clear point waved wide with a minute or 2 to go.

Syferus

Quote from: lenny on January 27, 2018, 07:34:32 PM

Brutal game. Moy were lucky but cavanagh seemed to have a clear point waved wide with a minute or 2 to go.

Clear point? Seemed to trail wide.

lenny

Quote from: Syferus on January 27, 2018, 07:35:32 PM

On the replay from behind the goals the ball seemed to be inside the line of the posts all the way even after it was well over.

bennydorano

Quote from: ned on January 27, 2018, 02:42:14 PM
Heads up for anyone outside Ireland, Free Sports Sky channel 424 is showing Dublin v Offlay and Cork v Kilkenny tonight.
Available on the black north ok.

imtommygunn

Quote from: lenny on January 27, 2018, 07:37:29 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 27, 2018, 07:35:32 PM

On the replay from behind the goals the ball seemed to be inside the line of the posts all the way even after it was well over.

I thought it looked wide too.

Tyrone Dreamer

That was shocking stuff where the better team were clearly beaten, Moy got very very lucky; They showed no ambition to win in the last 15 minutes, their manager is a very lucky man as the win had nothing to with anything he did.

That sums up some of the rubbish talked on here.

On the one hand we had an ghaeltacht the 1/4 favourites considered almost unbeatable at this level. They were second in division one in kerry this year, won the west Kerry championship and won the Munster final by 20 points. They contested an all Ireland senior final just over ten years ago.

They are up against a mid table division 2 Tyrone side that on league form were 23td best in the county. A team that has only won something like  4 games in the last 60 played without their county players. A team that won their first championship in 35 years in Tyrone and with virtually no championship history.

Both teams played defensively and it was tough January football. If anything an ghaeltacht showed less ambition with the possession they had. With 15 minutes to go the Moy were out on their feet giiven the work they'd put in. If they'd pushed up the kerry team would probably have countered and won easy. The Moy stuck to their task and got their rewards when the game was there to be won. Yet after an unbelievable victory against the odds you question their management. That says more about your knowkege of the game that anything.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on January 28, 2018, 02:17:10 AM

That sums up some of the rubbish talked on here.

On the one hand we had an ghaeltacht the 1/4 favourites considered almost unbeatable at this level. They were second in division one in kerry this year, won the west Kerry championship and won the Munster final by 20 points. They contested an all Ireland senior final just over ten years ago.

They are up against a mid table division 2 Tyrone side that on league form were 23td best in the county. A team that has only won something like  4 games in the last 60 played without their county players. A team that won their first championship in 35 years in Tyrone and with virtually no championship history.

Both teams played defensively and it was tough January football. If anything an ghaeltacht showed less ambition with the possession they had. With 15 minutes to go the Moy were out on their feet giiven the work they'd put in. If they'd pushed up the kerry team would probably have countered and won easy. The Moy stuck to their task and got their rewards when the game was there to be won. Yet after an unbelievable victory against the odds you question their management. That says more about your knowkege of the game that anything.

Exactly but we all know one thing that really upsets southern GAA fans is Northern upstarts coming down and upsetting the natural order.

omagh_gael

Excellent post TD. Quite ironic that the FA cup was also on this weekend. I watched a couple of games where a team were clearly at a lower level than the opposition. Their game plan was completely focused on stopping the better team as going toe to toe would invariably end in failure.

The Moy were going there for one thing only and that was to get a result, they did just that against a team operating at a much higher level. Fair play to them and feck the begrudgers.

skeog