The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

anportmorforjfc

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Doogie Browser

Ok, massive game for us today.  A game we have to approach with a positive attitude, we have to play to our strengths (pace & power up front), Chelsea are missing cashley who I think has been their best defender this season and has pace to match Young & Milner (if fit). 
Simple game plan today get Young on the ball down the left flank as often as possible as I think he would have the beating of Bosingwa all day long.  Petrov is having a great season and has plenty of power in the middle to match Fat Frank and Mikel, if he can stop these two getting into the game it will be key for us.  With Petrov holding it will allow Barry to get on the ball and he has the vision/skill to direct affairs. 
The only disadvantage today is that Guus Hiddink might get the 'first game' peformance that so many teams seem to produce after a manager is sacked, Chelsea I am sure feel they have underachieved this season in the PL so have plenty of motivation, notwithstanding the fact they have not won at Villa Park in almost 10 years.
We can win this though and I think MON smells blood here today...

longball

Jamie Redknapp's suit is rotten. Big game 2day for Villa would Villa fans take a draw now.... if i was i wudn't Chelsea there for the taking
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

shark

Not great today.  Can't say Villa were unlucky but at the same time the chances were there.

On the plus side Arsenal couldn't beat Sunderland so the gap is a healthy 6 points.

deaconblue

poor today, lacked any vision in m/f,also team seemed very flat. a trip to moscow hardly seems ideal but that tie is there to be won and i think we can still qualify ,i hope we go for it . arsenal drawing was good for us and they clearly are not the arsenal of recent years,we can still get 4th but must beat stoke in next game.
however we will need to improve in the summer as our current team will do well to get past the 2 qualifying rds needed to finally play in the league stages.we are at least 4 quality  players short of been able to impress on the big stage yet.

Doogie Browser

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7905058.stm

Good interview with a true Villa legend here.

O'Neill has firmly nailed his colours to the mast now regarding the UEFA Cup given the squad he is taking to Moscow, vital we beat Stoke on Sunday to arrest our 'slump' in past three games.

tyroneboi

Quote from: deaconblue on February 21, 2009, 10:30:10 PM
poor today, lacked any vision in m/f,also team seemed very flat. a trip to moscow hardly seems ideal but that tie is there to be won and i think we can still qualify ,i hope we go for it . arsenal drawing was good for us and they clearly are not the arsenal of recent years,we can still get 4th but must beat stoke in next game.
however we will need to improve in the summer as our current team will do well to get past the 2 qualifying rds needed to finally play in the league stages.we are at least 4 quality  players short of been able to impress on the big stage yet.

Not a Villa fan but always keep an eye out for their results probably because of Martin O'Neill. Which areas do you think they need strengthening? From the outside looking in a reliable goalscorer in the form of a Michael Owen seems to be missing from the current squad.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: tyroneboi on February 24, 2009, 04:06:01 PM
Quote from: deaconblue on February 21, 2009, 10:30:10 PM

Not a Villa fan but always keep an eye out for their results probably because of Martin O'Neill. Which areas do you think they need strengthening? From the outside looking in a reliable goalscorer in the form of a Michael Owen seems to be missing from the current squad.
Therein lies the problem with Michael Owen who I think is great, a proven scorer no doubt but far to injury prone to take a gamble with IMO.
Heskey was infuriating on Saturday against Chelsea and showed the poor side of his game, going down to easy, not chasing enough, need him to play with more fight as he def is capable of a lot better.  Carew on the other hand was a handful when he came on and looked more of a threat.
I do feel Villa need an established 20 league goals a season man, but where do you find them?   ???
Saturday showed clearly that Villa lack the class in the middle of the park that the bigger teams have, Lampard in particular had acres of space for the first half, then Barry came into it a lot more and pressed and harried.

Doogie Browser

Its been a barren few weeks and few would bet against it ending tomorrow, no league victory over Liverpool since september 2001, a bin laden curse of sorts?  I don't know, but we should have won at Anfield last year when leading with 10 mins to go.  Hoping to catch them full of over confidence as their tails have been up in recent weeks, but I doubt they would be like that.  Anyway O'Neill getting fierce criticism on the Villa forums this past 3/4 weeks, some warranted ok but people need to remember how far we have come in 2 and a half years.  Arsenal should and will win at newcastle tonight to move three clear so if that is not enough of an incentove for the players tomorrow I don't know what else is.  lets see some fight, Barry will have the game of his life tomorrow as the Liverpool fans wil want to see what they have missed.  All said if we got a point tomorrow I would be happy.  Lets see.

Uladh

An Aston villa thread indeed.

Raises issues of dereliction of duty amongst the mods

charlie stubbs

have to laugh at villa fans criticising o neill.  he has worked wonders with a wafer thein squad and is getting critised.  you will finish 5th but again that is improvement.  fans seem to be so shallow.  couldnt believe they booed agbonlahor last week.  some people at villa park have very short memories.  be interesting to see how barry gets on 2mara

Doogie Browser

Villa will never get a better chance to beat United at Old Trafford, it was a poor Utd side yesterday decimated by injury/suspension, I don't recall a worse united back 4, plus Van Der Sar proved again that he is not to be trusted with crosses, he flapped at everything yesterday, punched when he should have caught etc.  The first goal was a gift, terrible communication between Milner & Friedel.
We controlled the play between 15-80 minutes, Barry was giving Carrick a midfield masterclass and Agbonlahor was turning Neville inside out (Gary is finished now), big Carew gave the watching Heskey a lesson in centre forward play.  Then O'Neill shit the togs, again, I said at 2-1 we will need another goal and we were playing well enough to get it but then he does the unthinkable and brings on Hokey-Coker for Milner who was having a great game down the right, always an outlet and was holding it up well all day and drawing frees in dangerous areas.  Utd do what they do best though, kick teams in the balls when they look dead and buried.
Villa are 6 behind Arsenal now less than 4 weeks ago if we had beat Stoke at home we would have been 8 ahead! Everton are looming large a point behind us now too, so it gets worse!  Finishing 5th is not really an option anyway given the disrespect MON showed the UEFA cup this season after busting a gut to get into it in the first place  ???
Its United's league now after yesterday which is a pity but as an Irishman I detest Rafa for the way he treated Robbie Keane so not that bothered.
Looks like Barry will now leave in the summer and I can't fault him, he has been immense this season again with Petrov (didn't think I would ever say that about Stan!).  We will keep at it though!

mrsandman

Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 06, 2009, 09:44:01 AM
Villa will never get a better chance to beat United at Old Trafford, it was a poor Utd side yesterday decimated by injury/suspension, I don't recall a worse united back 4, plus Van Der Sar proved again that he is not to be trusted with crosses, he flapped at everything yesterday, punched when he should have caught etc.  The first goal was a gift, terrible communication between Milner & Friedel.
We controlled the play between 15-80 minutes, Barry was giving Carrick a midfield masterclass and Agbonlahor was turning Neville inside out (Gary is finished now), big Carew gave the watching Heskey a lesson in centre forward play.  Then O'Neill shit the togs, again, I said at 2-1 we will need another goal and we were playing well enough to get it but then he does the unthinkable and brings on Hokey-Coker for Milner who was having a great game down the right, always an outlet and was holding it up well all day and drawing frees in dangerous areas.  Utd do what they do best though, kick teams in the balls when they look dead and buried.

Villa are 6 behind Arsenal now less than 4 weeks ago if we had beat Stoke at home we would have been 8 ahead! Everton are looming large a point behind us now too, so it gets worse!  Finishing 5th is not really an option anyway given the disrespect MON showed the UEFA cup this season after busting a gut to get into it in the first place  ???
Its United's league now after yesterday which is a pity but as an Irishman I detest Rafa for the way he treated Robbie Keane so not that bothered.
Looks like Barry will now leave in the summer and I can't fault him, he has been immense this season again with Petrov (didn't think I would ever say that about Stan!).  We will keep at it though!

Cant really blame o'neill, united always looked like scoring and to be fair gareth barry never really gave carrick a masterclass. Ashley Young was anonymous. Agbonlahor for all the 'turning Neville inside he did' only scored one and it was with his head.
All in all Villa are still capable of gaining fourth place.
Constipated People Don't Give A crap.

Minder

Quote from: mrsandman on April 06, 2009, 09:58:38 AM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on April 06, 2009, 09:44:01 AM

Cant really blame o'neill, united always looked like scoring and to be fair gareth barry never really gave carrick a masterclass. Ashley Young was anonymous. Agbonlahor for all the 'turning Neville inside he did' only scored one and it was with his head.
All in all Villa are still capable of gaining fourth place.

Arsenal are unbeaten in 17 and Villa last won a league game two months ago.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"