The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Doogie Browser

Massive blow to Villa  >:( - Gooners have Eduardo to come back and Arshavin signing so will def make battle for fourth interesting now.  O'Neill does have Davies, Knight and Cuellar but Laursen has such a presence and IMO him and Vidic were the best two centre halves this season to date.

Laursen facing two-month lay-off 

Aston Villa captain Martin Laursen will be out for two months after undergoing an operation on his right knee.

The 31-year-old centre-back was injured during the 1-0 win over West Ham on 20 December but returned to action against West Brom earlier this month.

However, the injury was worse than first feared and it was decided the defender should be operated on.

Villa stressed the injury was not linked to a previous career-threatening injury to Laursen's left knee.

Laursen has been in inspirational form for Villa this season, helping the club to their current position of fourth in the Premier League.

The former AC Milan player's absence means Zat Knight and Carlos Cuellar will be battling for a place alongside Curtis Davies in central defence.

deaconblue

laursen is big blow , expect a defender to sign b4 window closes, heskey is a good signing and he will fit into this villa side very well.
tricky tie tmorr id say  but portsmouth and wigan next week far more important/

charlie stubbs

doubt o neill sign a centre  half surely be able to cope with knight,cueller,davies.  money could be invested in other areas eg left back rather than having 5 centre halves of a good standard competing 4 2 poositions in 2 months time

bigfrank

bigfrank

Think he wore that number at a few clubs including liverpool if my memory serves me right!!Mite try and watch a bit of the game online here,see if i can spot it!! Thanks Homer

slow corner back

Doogie Browser

6 successive away wins on the trot a new club record, in fairness lucky to get the three points but defended like lions all night and Pompey could not break us down.  Knight and Davies were immense.  Delighted for big Bruno to score on his debut, he put in a great performance and offers Villa so much at set pieces at both ends of the pitch.  
Level on points with Liverpool who are away to a decent Wigan side tomo night and hoping Everton take at least a point of Arsenal.   Villa are def gaining momentum and with hopefully 1/2 more players to come in we should be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 27, 2009, 10:07:12 PM
6 successive away wins on the trot a new club record, in fairness lucky to get the three points but defended like lions all night and Pompey could not break us down.  Knight and Davies were immense.  Delighted for big Bruno to score on his debut, he put in a great performance and offers Villa so much at set pieces at both ends of the pitch.  
Level on points with Liverpool who are away to a decent Wigan side tomo night and hoping Everton take at least a point of Arsenal.   Villa are def gaining momentum and with hopefully 1/2 more players to come in we should be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

Don't rate Davis and Knight overly so surprised they are doing as well as they are. It definately looks like Lpool, Chelsea or Arsenak could be squeezed out of fourth the year! Heskey took his goal very well too by the way.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

shark

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on January 27, 2009, 11:03:03 PM

Don't rate Davis and Knight overly so surprised they are doing as well as they are. It definately looks like Lpool, Chelsea or Arsenak could be squeezed out of fourth the year! Heskey took his goal very well too by the way.

Davies is quite good in fairness to the lad.  He is still only in his early 20's.  Knight has all the attributes but loses concentration very easily, he was outstanding tonight.

Doogie Browser

I rate Davies very highly and always have together with Laursen he has been great this season, always a wee bit sceptical about Knight but he has done very well the past 5/6 games, a settled run seems to help him.  Cuellar is another one I was not too happy with but he has upped his game too and was very good tonight again.
Villa must beat Wigan on Saturday now given Liverpool and or Chelsea will be dropping points on Sunday.

shark

Quote from: Doogie Browser on January 27, 2009, 11:11:44 PM

Villa must beat Wigan on Saturday now given Liverpool and or Chelsea will be dropping points on Sunday.

Will be there myself, picked up cheap flights in November.
Can't beat a bit of forward planning  :)

Doogie Browser

Enjoy Shark, hope they do the business, I see the games against Spurs at home and Liverpool away have been moved to accomodate TV today, so if anyone has booked for these watch out.

Doogie Browser

7 changes for Villa tonight, saturdays result against Wigan has shown that players like Gabby and Barry need a rest, they have been on the go since Mid July.  Every time MON has weakened his hand this season we have struggled though so hope tonight is different as I would love a cup run.

On a sadder note Ex Villa player Paul Birch passed away earlier this week from cancer at the age of 46. RIP.  He was a tidy player in his time and served the club with distinction for over ten years. 

Doogie Browser

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlive/bbc_wm/

On live here, an impeccable minutes silence well respected by everyone at the game.