The Official Aston Villa supporters thread

Started by Doogie Browser, October 23, 2008, 10:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

?

Doogie Browser

You must have some fond memories of Robertson, the man is a Forest legend.  O'Neill has had him alongside him all throughout his managerial career and leaves most of the coaching to him and Stevie Walford. They seem to have a great dynamic, dare I say like Clough and Taylor?...

ONeill

They're hanging in there. John Gregory had the same run of form around 98/99 at this stage. I wonder can MON do better.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hoof Hearted

John Robertson set up the winner in the '79 European Cup Final and scored the winner in the '80 European Cup final, would be a legend alright, not many have that claim to fame. As a Derry man, i would always look out for O'Neill now no matter where he went to.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Doogie Browser

I think O'Neill will be revered slightly more than Gregory by the Villa faithful.  Gregory took Villa to a cup final, but was always more concerned with himself, he had to hog the limelight with his highlights.

Doogie Browser

Robertson was renowned for enjoying a half time cigarette during his playing days - those were the days, he never had the look of a natural athlete but there is no doubt he has made his mark in the game. 

ONeill

If I remember rightly Villa led the league under him for a month or so then. Was there when Villa beat the then reigning champions Arsenal 3-2 and Santa fell off the roof.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ONeill on December 14, 2008, 11:00:38 PM
If I remember rightly Villa led the league under him for a month or so then. Was there when Villa beat the then reigning champions Arsenal 3-2 and Santa fell off the roof.

Think there was a big thing about them having an all English XI at the time too.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Doogie Browser

Villa did lead the league during 98/99 for a while then some rabble won a couple or three trophies.

shark

Quote from: ONeill on December 14, 2008, 11:00:38 PM

Yeah that was late 1998.  Arsenal were 2-0 up and Villa came back to win, think Dion Dublin got a couple of them.  Santa parachuted down at half-time and his parachute got caught on the side of the roof.  Villa topped the league up until late January but ended up 6th.  Injuries took their toll on a small squad and they went about 10 games without a win.
It was nearly an all-English team alright, i'm sure at some stage they could have lined out with Oakes, Charles, Southgate, Ehiougu, Barry, Wright, Draper, Taylor, Merson, Dublin, Joachim.  Scimeca, Hendrie and Thompson all regulars too. In fact its hard to think of what non-English players, outside of Bosnich they would have had around that time.

nifan

Was milosevic there at that stage? He was there a couple of seasons

Doogie Browser

Savo - the enigma, scored a bullet in the League Cup Final against Leeds in 1996 so will always be remembered fondly by Villa fans for that.  He went to Euro 2000 and ended up joint top scorer with Kluivert I think.

shark

Quote from: nifan on December 15, 2008, 11:17:57 AM

Left in the summer of 98, but his Villa career effectively finished months earlier when he spat at the Villa fans during an away match v Blackburn.  Just googled it, Bosnich was one of only two non-English players to play for Villa that season.
The other suprisingly enough was Dwight Yorke.  Didnt sign for Man Utd until after the first game had been played.

FermPundit

Quote from: nifan on December 15, 2008, 11:17:57 AM

13 December 1998

Aston Villa 3 2 Arsenal

Villa Goals - Joachim 62, 64, Dublin 83

Oakes, Wright, Southgate, Ehiogu, Watson, Taylor, Thompson, Hendrie ,Barry, Dublin, Joachim
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Doogie Browser

Another excellent result yesterday, a game which MON said we would not have won in previous years, third in the league is hard to fathom but we are there on merit.  Hoping Liverpool can beat Arsenal today but I have an inkling for the gunners to be honest, if Liverpool can do us a favour though we would have a four point cushion going into the Arsenal game on Boxing day.  Martin Laursen has to be the best centre half in the league at present, commanding displays every time he goes on the pitch. 

bigfrank

A stubborn villa perfomance which is needed so much these days!! these 1-0 wins are the difference between the bif four and the rest,villa learning how to grind them out with the best!! Arsenal next fri at villa park on sky,wat a cracker that will be:):)