Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: moysider on December 30, 2016, 09:10:06 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2016, 10:57:03 AM
Getting new trainers this week, want to get a decent pair for doing long runs in my build up for marathon training, any decent deals on at minute? I've always bought asics

Ran every day since being off, been torture due to late nights and copious amounts of food and alcohol!!

Bought new Saucony Ride2s today after having had 3 pairs of Nike Pegasus. They weren't a bargain though. Then in TK Max I came across a pair of New Balance 790v6 in my size. They were 45euro. Probably more suited to shorter stuff.

I'd hold off on then asics if I were you. They are supposed to be coming out with a new range as their popularity has fallen off. They persisted with the gel which fell out of favour. It's just too heavy. I have to admit that I was never an asics fan though.

If you're sure about size in a runner, best value probably online. I changes make so went to shop.

Are they changing to a different style in line with New Balance and the Nike runners?? I've always used asics and never had any issues which keep me using them... Marathon not till October so probably need another pair before that!!

Not worried on price just whether or not they'll make the running easier/comfortable
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

How often do you replace the trainers? do you keep track of the miles ran, or number of times used or just length of ownership?

I was advised when younger to buy 2/3 pairs of the same runners and to rotate their use

imtommygunn

You get 400-500 miles out of a pair of trainers they reckon...

Hokas have become very big in the running scene but they would mean a shift in running style.

moysider

Quote from: laoislad on December 30, 2016, 10:52:06 PM
The Nike Pegasus 33 are the best pair I've owned, expensive enough but worth it. In fairness the Adidas boost ultra I had before that were decent also. Can't wear Asics at all.

I've seen those Hoka runners. They have massive cushioning on them, can't help but think you'd  only be bouncing along rather than running.

The Hokas look like 1970's platforms. Shop today were sold out of them though!!
I did Dublin in Pegasus33 and 2 other marathons in the 32s. Liked them but inclined to heel strike so decided to go with a shoe with less dip from heel to toe. The Saucony ride is also an ounce lighter. Kayano is 2oz heavier that the saucony.
Never a fan of asics. Cumbersome and heavy. They seem to be addressing this. Gel is a gonner.
If you know anybody goin to the US get them to bring back a pair of Pearl Izumi. Class shoe.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: moysider on December 30, 2016, 11:34:42 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 30, 2016, 10:52:06 PM
The Nike Pegasus 33 are the best pair I've owned, expensive enough but worth it. In fairness the Adidas boost ultra I had before that were decent also. Can't wear Asics at all.

I've seen those Hoka runners. They have massive cushioning on them, can't help but think you'd  only be bouncing along rather than running.

The Hokas look like 1970's platforms. Shop today were sold out of them though!!
I did Dublin in Pegasus33 and 2 other marathons in the 32s. Liked them but inclined to heel strike so decided to go with a shoe with less dip from heel to toe. The Saucony ride is also an ounce lighter. Kayano is 2oz heavier that the saucony.
Never a fan of asics. Cumbersome and heavy. They seem to be addressing this. Gel is a gonner.
If you know anybody goin to the US get them to bring back a pair of Pearl Izumi. Class shoe.

My old pairs were gel style but my last asics were natural runners fluidaxis so these hokas go against a lot of the thinking on previous styles..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mrdeeds

Signing up for Longford Royal Canal Marathon at the end of April. Has anyone ever done it? It's a 5km loop. I suppose I was wondering is that monotonous? It's supposed to be flat.

lfdown2

Bit of advise if you would - since I started running a few years ago I have been using Asics Hyperspeed racing shoes (not flats), I kind of fell into wearing them and as they never caused me any problems I was wary of changing. Now to date my longest run has been around the 14km mark but I am in the process of training for Paris marathon in April.

I suppose my question is whether you would look at going for something with a bit more support or leave well enough alone.

These are the trainers I am in at the minute; http://www.asics.com/us/en-us/gel-hyper-speed-6/p/0010212673.4293

lfdown2

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/11/21/high-tech-trainers-likely-cause-injury-new-study-suggests/

As above the likes of this is what has me doubting new fancy trainers - while I'm sure there is a counter study which dispels this I would welcome experience of yourselves.

Walter Cronc

Guys whats the best smart/fit watch to go with? Looking at fitbit and tomtom with a of a budget around £100

lfdown2

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 11, 2017, 10:54:15 AM
Guys whats the best smart/fit watch to go with? Looking at fitbit and tomtom with a of a budget around £100

Depends what you are looking it for - I have a Nike+ watch, have it since Christmas '13 nothing fancy but it has done the job for me, can grab a heartrate monitor for it if required and a shoe pod for treadmill running, it is powered by TomTom, I would vouch for that at the cost as well but it is GPS running watch only.

manfromdelmonte

Complete waste of money

laoislad

Hard to go wrong with a Garmin. I bought a forerunner 225 on ebay last year for £90. Can't fault it. Has an optical heart rate sensor built into it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

moysider

Quote from: laoislad on January 11, 2017, 08:19:15 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Garmin. I bought a forerunner 225 on ebay last year for £90. Can't fault it. Has an optical heart rate sensor built into it.

I have te 220 and love it. I don't bother with heart rate to be honest. At my age your heart still works or it doesn't!

imtommygunn

I have a 620 which is a great job. It has the hrm too. 200 odd quid though.