Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: The Bearded One on October 21, 2018, 10:34:59 PM
One week countdown to my first marathon in Dublin. Took a notion of doing it and started training in mid Jul,  inspired by a few family members and friends who have done or who are doing Dublin. Wouldn't say I've stuck rigidly to any plan but have got myself in reasonable shape and have banked 4 or 5 long runs as well as mixing it up with shorter faster runs midweek. Ran Armagh 10 mile last weekend and have more or less started to ease back since. Struggling to get my head around very little running this week, feel like it will leave me in a bad place but assured it is the way to go for the week ahead!

Good luck, and you'll be grand, physically you're probably grand, mentally is where (for me on my one and only) it may let you down..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

One week countdown to my first marathon in Dublin. Took a notion of doing it and started training in mid Jul,  inspired by a few family members and friends who have done or who are doing Dublin. Wouldn't say I've stuck rigidly to any plan but have got myself in reasonable shape and have banked 4 or 5 long runs as well as mixing it up with shorter faster runs midweek. Ran Armagh 10 mile last weekend and have more or less started to ease back since. Struggling to get my head around very little running this week, feel like it will leave me in a bad place but assured it is the way to go for the week ahead!
Can't wait for it now myself.
A morning like this morning would be absolutely perfect for it. 
What time are you hoping for? The majority of the first half is uphill, second half is a bit easier. The last half mile is brilliant with the crowds cheering.Enjoy it though if you're like me you'll be in a world of pain at that stage  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lfdown2

Best of luck to ye all doing it. Had signed up but wee lad arrived in July which scuppered any plans I had of training and having experienced last year after a full training plan complete there is no way I would show up half cooked!!

Bit of advice; one of the lads I done it with last year got 3 of us T-Shirts done up (were raising money for charity in memory of his sister), anyway, he had our names put on the front of them, brilliant job, plenty of encouragement the whole way round!

Done Paris and Dublin last year and the crowd in Dublin was 100 times better, great marathon and disappointed I won't be there next week, just managing to get back doing a bit now that the wee lad is sleeping through the night!

The Bearded One

Quote from: laoislad on October 22, 2018, 11:28:25 AM
Can't wait for it now myself.
A morning like this morning would be absolutely perfect for it. 
What time are you hoping for? The majority of the first half is uphill, second half is a bit easier. The last half mile is brilliant with the crowds cheering.Enjoy it though if you're like me you'll be in a world of pain at that stage  ;D

Thanks Laoislad, appreciate the advice. I am going to aim for 3.30...first marathon and probably ambitious but the plan I loosely followed always had runs aimed at 1min over marathon pace, 30sec below marathon pace etc so had to pick a time to train towards. Really I am a running novice, stopped playing football and ran a few 10ks here and there and in the last 18 months upped the mileage a little bit and enjoyed it. Good luck to you and anyone else going, I am really looking forward to it now.
It is what it is. Presumably.

laoislad

Sean Cox's family said on the Late Late show that Sean was signed up to do Dublin this year. Sure enough I checked the programme given out at the expo today and his name is on it.
Just goes to show you how lucky we are to be even lining up at the start line to run it.
Enjoy it tomorrow who ever is doing it. It's a great Marathon with a wonderful atmosphere.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2018, 04:56:58 PM
Sean Cox's family said on the Late Late show that Sean was signed up to do Dublin this year. Sure enough I checked the programme given out at the expo today and his name is on it.
Just goes to show you how lucky we are to be even lining up at the start line to run it.
Enjoy it tomorrow who ever is doing it. It's a great Marathon with a wonderful atmosphere.

Enjoy everyone doing it, very jealous now

Baile an tuaigh

Good luck tomorrow everyone remember 20 miles is the half way mark. Keep a bit in the tank for last six. Enjoy the craic you cant beat the Dubs for humor.

manfromdelmonte

First 5K run this morning for over a year
Finished in 21:00
Time to start shaving time off that

SHEEDY

Looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time  ;D time for bed, looking forward to a few deserved beers tomorrow. Good luck to everyone running, enjoy it if you can.
nil satis nisi optimum

magpie seanie

Good luck to eveyone in the marathon tomorrow.

Don Johnson

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2018, 09:23:06 PM

Humblebrag.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Don Johnson on October 27, 2018, 10:44:29 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 27, 2018, 09:23:06 PM

Humblebrag.
It's 2 mins slower than my best time.
Best of luck to marathon runners today
I'll never run one

Baile an tuaigh

My youngest brother ran the marathon today with no training. He finished 4 hours 40 minutes. My sister who registered to run couldn't commit and gave him her bib. It was literally a last minute decision. He has ran Dublin a few times finishing once at 3 hours 15 minutes so he had previous experience. But still it's a long haul with zero preperation.

The Bearded One

First marathon completed and a huge itch scratched!

I have to say it really was a fantastic experience. I trained towards a 3.30 time and finished in 3.25. I felt fairly comfortable throughout and had a plan to keep it nice and steady until I got over that infamous hill and then push a little harder for home and I stuck to the plan. Enjoyed the last 3 miles despite a bit of cramp that took about 20 seconds to stretch out. Once I saw the finish line in sight and knew my 3.30 target was safe I eased off and soaked up the atmosphere which was unbelievable! Managed to stop for a hug with the family near the end and that started the tears, it was an emotional moment.

The event itself is a credit to all those involved in making it happen. From the expo to the finish line and beyond, everyone I encountered had a smile and a word of encouragement and the support along the route was incredible. Well done to everyone else here who made the start line, hope you all got around it ok.
It is what it is. Presumably.

Milltown Row2

Well done and a smashing time! Sounds like you had a great time! I was emotional also when I saw the family at such an event!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea