11th night bonfires

Started by Fear Boirche, June 20, 2007, 11:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:24:59 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:10:21 AM
Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:01:27 AM
And you all just sit back and do nothing about it...

What would you suggest big lad?
I don't live there so I don't care. You boys do nothing but complain about it. Got off the internet and go do something about it.
The former Deputy First Minister has been unable to do anything. The media have raised it and can't do anything. Where do you live? Do you not follow the news here?
Careful now

Franko

Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:34:00 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:30:58 AM

I don't live there so I don't care. You boys do nothing but complain about it. Got off the internet and go do something about it.

Ah right, fcuk all to add then.  Useful boy you.

I suppose you're 'alright' where you are?  ;)
I'm fine thank you.
You keep complaining about it on the internet though. That will get you places alright.

What though?  We're all ears.  You're full of the bluster but you're light on the substance.

You keep complaining about people complaining on the internet?  Maybe you should get out and do something about that?

LCohen

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:29:32 AM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 12, 2017, 11:23:24 AM
Virtually every bonfire in N.Ireland last night broke regulations, bye-laws and laws and nothing is being done about by the municipal bodies, the PSNI or the usual handwringing politicians who depend on this part of the community for support.

The true cost of the bonfires should be calculated and fed to the British media who are now so interested in the DUP and their supporters to allow them to highlight the waste of public resources on the 11th night alone.  The best that should be done is for the council and government agencies to leave the mess created by the bonfires until all other priority areas are dealt with as part of their statutory duties.  Don't repair the play parks, the playing fields and the road surfaces until new funds can be allocated to doing so and leave the smouldering remains and other bonfire detritus to be cleaned up by whoever wants in these communities. 

Business and property owners should sue the Belfast City Council and other municipal authorities for damage and not rely on their insurance to pay for the damage. It is clear that the injunctions and removal of funding was due to legal advice provided to BCC about their responsibility for allowing bonfires on their land and as a licensing authority.

On the plus side the level of violence associated with 11/12th activities is now at its lowest for as long as many care to remember.

In terms of money lost on the 11th, money must be lost hand-over-fist on the 12th too. Go to any city centre in Ireland or the UK on a bank holiday and it's pure black with people shopping, going to restaurants, cafés, pubs, cinema etc. Judging by the pictures on BBC1, the whole of Belfast city centre grinds to a standstill. It's full of people sure, but the majority of them look like they'd think a fish supper was cultural.

The irony of them burning EU flags but their bands playing Ode to Joy is something!

It's worse than that. A lot of restaurants etc closed for the week and some for 2. Hard to build a tourist industry around that in July.

The British Open golf will hopefully spark some progress

dclane

Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:38:58 AM

I'm fine thank you.
You keep complaining about it on the internet though. That will get you places alright.

What though?  We're all ears.  You're full of the bluster but you're light on the substance.

You keep complaining about people complaining on the internet?  Maybe you should get out and do something about that?
Keep deflecting from the fact that you are doing nothing about it but complain on the internet. You can call me names all you want but it's you who wants it to change but still wont do anything.
Start small. Go and start a protest. I don't care.

Kilkevan

Quote from: LCohen on July 12, 2017, 11:35:45 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:16:59 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI out of curiosity. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Out of interest, could any Belfast posters tell me what Catholics/nationalists/republicans do on these days? I had heard that there is a rebel fest on the Falls with wall-to-wall rebel singers in the pubs but I don't know if that's true.

Catholics do the same as most of the the rest of us.

Get out of the place is less of an option when it falls on a Wednesday. I cut the lawn. About to start on the hedges and then the weeds. I like to think of it as green fest

Lol

Look at this pair...

The darker one said "we plan it every year, plan what we're going to wear..."

The Minnie Mouse look must be in in 2017!

lmfao!!!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:23:40 AM
Quote from: Franko on July 12, 2017, 11:18:59 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Out of interest, could any Belfast posters tell me what Catholics/nationalists/republicans do on these days? I had heard that there is a rebel fest on the Falls with wall-to-wall rebel singers in the pubs but I don't know if that's true.

A good many go to work.  If you manage to get there and home again, it's the best place to be to ignore the shite.

Is everyone not off with it being a bank holiday though? I know not everyone, bar staff, nurses, police etc, gets a bank holiday but I presumed the majority would.

It seems to be getting less crowds every year. I am working ( self employed ) so no impact there
It only gets to you if you let it, they used to March up
Our Main Street in dunloy but annual road sit downs and protest have changed all that
A prodestant friend of mine asks my once did it bother me
I said
No if someone wants to wear a bowler hat and a orange sash and walk somewhere looking like that to commemorate a Dutchman crossing a river in the republic 400 years ago then knock yourself out

The confrontation only happens because they don't want to March in their own areas they want to go to as many nationalist areas as they can and rub your nose in it
See Ardoyne today

The parades commission has changed most of that but not all see things are slowly changing

Imm not a shrink but when you try and analyse their mental state it's just insecurities about their national identity
They know deep down this is Ireland and not the U.K. from a moral perspective so it's really a case of
"Thou  doth protest to much "
I bit like who are are you trying to kid here us or yourselves

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Kilkevan

Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:43:05 AM

I'm fine thank you.

Keep deflecting from the fact that you are doing nothing about it but complain on the internet. You can call me names all you want but it's you who wants it to change but still wont do anything.

If you don't care, why comment?

dclane

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 12, 2017, 11:49:19 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

A good many go to work.  If you manage to get there and home again, it's the best place to be to ignore the shite.

Is everyone not off with it being a bank holiday though? I know not everyone, bar staff, nurses, police etc, gets a bank holiday but I presumed the majority would.

It seems to be getting less crowds every year. I am working ( self employed ) so no impact there
Our Main Street in dunloy but annual road sit downs and protest have changed all that
I said
No if someone wants to wear a bowler hat and a orange sash and walk somewhere looking like that to commemorate a Dutchman crossing a river in the republic 400 years ago then knock yourself out

The confrontation only happens because they don't want to March in their own areas they want to go to as many nationalist areas as they can and rub your nose in it
See Ardoyne today

The parades commission has changed most of that but not all see things are slowly changing

Imm not a shrink but when you try and analyse their mental state it's just insecurities about their national identity
They know deep down this is Ireland and not the U.K. from a moral perspective so it's really a case of
Fair play. Ye got off yer holes and did something about it.
Kudos to your people.

dclane

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:51:17 AM

I'm fine thank you.

Ridiculous comment. If I want to comment I'll comment. Caring or not makes no difference.  Now can we put that stupid retort to bed once and for all.

BennyCake

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:45:43 AM
Just looking at the Twelfth coverage on BBC1 NI out of curiosity. I never realised they marched through the city centre of Belfast. I assumed these days that they mainly marched through unionist/loyalist areas save the odd place where they passed areas of friction. I've been to a few nationalist/republican parades in Belfast, but they've always gone along the Falls Road. I always recognised the orange parades as sectarian but letting this pish march through the city centre is pure sh1te, basically telling Catholics they're not welcome downtown on the day.

Get out of the place is less of an option when it falls on a Wednesday. I cut the lawn. About to start on the hedges and then the weeds. I like to think of it as green fest

Lol

Look at this pair...

lmfao!!!

Christ almighty. Then again, I think the same when I see people on St Patrick's day wearing stupid lephrachaun hats.

Kilkevan

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 12, 2017, 11:49:19 AM

I said

See Ardoyne today

Agree wholeheartedly, I was born in Kilkenny but grew up in Wales before returning Noreside in adult life. I can honestly say that 95% of Welsh people have zero interest and those who do think it's bizarre that there are Irish people who think they're British, particularly as almost no Welsh people really consider Britishness to be a significant part of their identity. I always say Britishness exists only in the ruling classes in the Home Counties and in unionist/loyalist areas of Belfast; the Scottish consider themselves Scottish, the Welsh Welsh and the vast majority of the English English.

Kilkevan

Quote from: BennyCake on July 12, 2017, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:45:43 AM

Lol

Look at this pair...

lmfao!!!

Christ almighty. Then again, I think the same when I see people on St Patrick's day wearing stupid lephrachaun hats.

Yeah but I'm going to go with the notion that the vast majority of those wearing leprechaun hats on St. Patrick's Day are tourists... and almost none "plan it".

Franko

I'm fine thank you.

Again nothing then.  Good man.

Why mention it then?  Also, what names did I call you?

Franko

Quote from: dclane on July 12, 2017, 11:53:11 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 12, 2017, 11:51:17 AM

I'm fine thank you.

Ridiculous comment. If I want to comment I'll comment. Caring or not makes no difference.  Now can we put that stupid retort to bed once and for all.

Right, and if someone else wants to complain about, they can complain about it.  Stupid retorts he says  ::).  Or is the irony lost on you?

Kilkevan

Congratulations to the BBC on interviewing the clown in the Rangers tshirt with "We Are The People" stitched underneath the badge. That kind of stuff would land the interviewer her P45 if it was bigotry against anyone but the Irish.