The official Premier League 2018/19 Thread

Started by heganboy, July 03, 2018, 12:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thewobbler on July 03, 2018, 08:33:50 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 03, 2018, 07:43:44 AM
Arsenal the e/w value there.

No they're not.

Arsenal don't have a single player who gets a game at City or Chelsea, possibly even at United or Spurs. The gap is much bigger than their name suggests.

Rubbish!
#newbridgeornowhere

mrdeeds

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2018, 04:39:32 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 03, 2018, 08:33:50 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on July 03, 2018, 07:43:44 AM
Arsenal the e/w value there.

No they're not.

Arsenal don't have a single player who gets a game at City or Chelsea, possibly even at United or Spurs. The gap is much bigger than their name suggests.

Rubbish!

Aubameyang gets a game anywhere.

gawa316

At Chelsea he would start but wouldn't be in front of Aguero, Kane and can't see mourinho starting him ahead of Lukaku

Kidder81

This "wouldn't get a game at United, City" etc is a nonsensical, moronic argument

Boycey

Aye, I think Fabian Delph played in over half of Citys games last season so that renders any argument pointless...

Cunny Funt

Season predictions

1st Man City
2nd Liverpool
3rd Spurs
4th Chelsea

Relegated Cardiff,Huddersfield and Watford

laoislad

1 Liverpool
2 City
3 Chelsea
4 Spurs

Relegated
Brighton
Cardiff
Fulham
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: laoislad on August 06, 2018, 06:17:24 PM
1 Liverpool
2 City
3 Chelsea
4 Spurs

Relegated
Brighton
Cardiff
Fulham

Good man..,proper scud on us!!!  Fulham will stay up as will other promotion team Wolves

shark

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 06, 2018, 06:21:46 PM
1 Liverpool
2 City
3 Chelsea
4 Spurs

Relegated
Brighton
Cardiff
Fulham

Good man..,proper scud on us!!!  Fulham will stay up as will other promotion team Wolves

Fulham will be quite comfortable I suspect.

manfromdelmonte

1 Liverpool
2 City
3 Chelsea
4 Spurs

Relegated
Brighton
Cardiff
Fulham
Book the victory bus again

thewobbler

Given a general lack of transfer activity, it should be relatively straightforward - compared to most years - to nail colours to a mast. Only thing is it'll take everyone a month or so to get a settled XI after the World Cup.

City will win it. They can pass you off the pitch or can destroy you on the counter, and like last season, not many clubs will have answers to both. Mahrez is a gem of a player too and a serious upgrade on Sterling. Probably the best hope the rest have is that De Bruyne misses a few months of the season through injury, a few poor results are picked up in a row. Also, here's hoping the bottom 10 clubs go all out route one against them. If they have a weakness, it's physicality.

United could plod into second again for simple reason that they're bloody difficult to breakdown and have the individual talents to always nick a goal. It's rudimentary football and generally awful to watch, and Mourninho's biggest dilemma is that if City pull out early with 6-7 straight wins, it's hard to see them keeping anywhere near that pace. So he would be pressured from within and out to be more attacking. At which point, José dies inside and walks with a big payout around March.

That scenario seems all too likely to me, so I'd expect Spurs and Liverpool to move above them.

Spurs are struggling to find improvements to their first XI, and the last couple of seasons have proven that they need a bit more before they can really claim to be challengers. If they get a mostly injury-free season out of Dembele, Eriksen and Kane, once again they'll swat off the bottom 14 clubs with little issue, and will build up a bank of points to guarantee top 4. But it'll be at least 10 short of City, unless Harry goes up another gear. Which he won't do in August, and as a result will always be chasing.

Liverpool are harder to call. Allison should immediately be worth 9 points more than last season, so poor was who he is replacing. But not many keepers adjust quickly to the levels of crosses they have to face in the EPL, so it might take a few months before he settles in. Further up the field, I genuinely doubt Fabinho is any improvement on Henderson or Milner, who know the league inaidenout and know their roles inside out. Keita should have more spark about him, but Liverpool don't really need a sparky central midfielder, more of a game controller. Ultimately, Liverpool's potential to challenge boils down to whether Salah is genuinely a worldie, or (just) a top class player who had an exceptional season. If it's the latter, Liverpool will be top 4. If the former they might even give City a challenge for a while.

Chelsea's almost relentless knack of sacking a manager then winning a major trophy has always been dependent on Abramovich's spending power and while it's difficult to see them winning a league no matter what, if Hazard has a wantaway season, they just won't have the cutting edge to trouble the top 4.

Arsenal haven't just replaced a manager, they've replaced a footballing culture, and I'd expect they'll take a few seasons to come close to top 4 again. Wenger has left behind a truly mediocre squad and we are about to find out just how poor. I honestly expect them to pick up less than 55 points this season, and Aubyemang will be the new Defoe, a fine goalscorer, but like playing with 10 men, especially away from home.

NAG1

Quote from: thewobbler on August 06, 2018, 06:48:30 PM
Given a general lack of transfer activity, it should be relatively straightforward - compared to most years - to nail colours to a mast. Only thing is it'll take everyone a month or so to get a settled XI after the World Cup.

City will win it. They can pass you off the pitch or can destroy you on the counter, and like last season, not many clubs will have answers to both. Mahrez is a gem of a player too and a serious upgrade on Sterling. Probably the best hope the rest have is that De Bruyne misses a few months of the season through injury, a few poor results are picked up in a row. Also, here's hoping the bottom 10 clubs go all out route one against them. If they have a weakness, it's physicality.

United could plod into second again for simple reason that they're bloody difficult to breakdown and have the individual talents to always nick a goal. It's rudimentary football and generally awful to watch, and Mourninho's biggest dilemma is that if City pull out early with 6-7 straight wins, it's hard to see them keeping anywhere near that pace. So he would be pressured from within and out to be more attacking. At which point, José dies inside and walks with a big payout around March.

That scenario seems all too likely to me, so I'd expect Spurs and Liverpool to move above them.

Spurs are struggling to find improvements to their first XI, and the last couple of seasons have proven that they need a bit more before they can really claim to be challengers. If they get a mostly injury-free season out of Dembele, Eriksen and Kane, once again they'll swat off the bottom 14 clubs with little issue, and will build up a bank of points to guarantee top 4. But it'll be at least 10 short of City, unless Harry goes up another gear. Which he won't do in August, and as a result will always be chasing.

Liverpool are harder to call. Allison should immediately be worth 9 points more than last season, so poor was who he is replacing. But not many keepers adjust quickly to the levels of crosses they have to face in the EPL, so it might take a few months before he settles in. Further up the field, I genuinely doubt Fabinho is any improvement on Henderson or Milner, who know the league inaidenout and know their roles inside out. Keita should have more spark about him, but Liverpool don't really need a sparky central midfielder, more of a game controller. Ultimately, Liverpool's potential to challenge boils down to whether Salah is genuinely a worldie, or (just) a top class player who had an exceptional season. If it's the latter, Liverpool will be top 4. If the former they might even give City a challenge for a while.

Chelsea's almost relentless knack of sacking a manager then winning a major trophy has always been dependent on Abramovich's spending power and while it's difficult to see them winning a league no matter what, if Hazard has a wantaway season, they just won't have the cutting edge to trouble the top 4.

Arsenal haven't just replaced a manager, they've replaced a footballing culture, and I'd expect they'll take a few seasons to come close to top 4 again. Wenger has left behind a truly mediocre squad and we are about to find out just how poor. I honestly expect them to pick up less than 55 points this season, and Aubyemang will be the new Defoe, a fine goalscorer, but like playing with 10 men, especially away from home.

1) Agreed
2) Agreed although I expect them to be better to watch this season
3) Need a bit more and havent added anything, expect the WC to hit them harder than most
4) If he can back it  up then yeah they will be close if not similar story to last year
5) Looked very ordinary and dont see a quick fix for them
6) Agreed

laoislad

No surprise here.. Referees favouring Man United..They didn't need a study to determine that sure every one knew it anyways.
https://www.balls.ie/football/liverpool-unluckiest-man-united-394361
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on August 07, 2018, 05:02:01 PM
No surprise here.. Referees favouring Man United..They didn't need a study to determine that sure every one knew it anyways.
https://www.balls.ie/football/liverpool-unluckiest-man-united-394361

Happy days so we only have to make up a 10 point deficit as opposed to the 20 odd pints we finish behind city!😊

Predictions
1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Utd
4. Spurs

7. Wolves

18. Southampton
19. Cardiff
20. Watford

Captain Obvious

Right or wrong for Sky to bring back Jamie Carragher?