Renting a car at Dublin Airport

Started by omaghjoe, September 24, 2016, 10:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

I felt I got ripped off the last time I done this so I was wondering does anyone have any good tips for the cheapest and best way to do this?

Also got a loch o car seats I need to rent to 

:o $$$ :o

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 24, 2016, 10:31:00 PM
I felt I got ripped off the last time I done this so I was wondering does anyone have any good tips for the cheapest and best way to do this?

Get the insurance online before you go
do not buy insurance from the rental company
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on September 24, 2016, 10:41:40 PM

Tried that last time and the f**kers wouldn't accept it...

Itchy

Arguscarhire, all costs are listed up front on site. They are a broker for numerous car hire companies but provide their own insurance. When you collect the car the hire company (eg hertz) will try sell you more insurance- say no as argus will have you covered.

armaghniac

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 24, 2016, 10:46:44 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 24, 2016, 10:41:40 PM

Tried that last time and the f**kers wouldn't accept it...

take the CDW, but not any of the super-CDW type stuff. There are decent policies to ensure this elsewhere for a fraction of the price. They will put a hold on your credit card for the excess say €1500, but once they do this what other insurance you have is your own business.

Some US credit cards have insurance for the CDW also and they may accept these if you check in advance.

Some of the f***ers will try and gouge you for driving to the 6 counties, Enterprise have been fingered for this recently. Give them a wide berth as others don't charge anything extra.

You'll get a pretty good deal at this time of year, not so much in the summer or at Christmas, when there simply aren't enough yokes to go around. 

Quote from: Itchy on September 24, 2016, 10:48:59 PM
Arguscarhire, all costs are listed up front on site. They are a broker for numerous car hire companies but provide their own insurance. When you collect the car the hire company (eg hertz) will try sell you more insurance- say no as argus will have you covered.

Argushire, autoeurope etc will insure the excess, but remember you will still have the excess on your card if you do not buy the insurance at the desk.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omochain

This works for me
1 Join hertz gold
2. Get a credit card that covers insurance ( It will cost you $75 to $100 but worth it) Try Aadvantage MasterCard)
3. Get the credit card company to send you a letter verifying the coverage.
4. You have to use the credit card to pay for the car hire.

cadhlancian

i
I went home ( Coalisland) in July for my brothers wedding. It would have cost me $1200 from the airport for 2 weeks. I went to enterprise ( craigavon ) and got a new motor for the 2 weeks for $295😳
No hassle , great service and WAY cheaper
If you can get picked up at the airport , and borrow a couple of booster seats, you're good.
DONT RENT A CAR AT THE AIRPORT IF POSSIBLE

cadhlancian

I was coming from San Diego , me the wife and 2 eight year olds.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: omochain on September 25, 2016, 12:09:47 AM
This works for me
1 Join hertz gold
2. Get a credit card that covers insurance ( It will cost you $75 to $100 but worth it) Try Aadvantage MasterCard)

This is how I do it. The insurance from my credit card is better than the insurance the rental car offer up to $50000. A World MasterCard card is what you need, I use Chase Bank. Make sure you have the letter saying they coverage works in Ireland.

Puckoon

Quote from: FL/MAYO on September 25, 2016, 02:58:01 PM
This works for me
1 Join hertz gold

This is how I do it. The insurance from my credit card is better than the insurance the rental car offer up to $50000. A World MasterCard card is what you need, I use Chase Bank. Make sure you have the letter saying they coverage works in Ireland.

I have the chase sapphire FL and last year they accepted my insurance but only after putting a €5000 hold on my card.

omochain

You can avoid the $5000 hold if you bring proof of insurance. Call the credit card company and they will refer you to the insurance carrier who will email you proof of coverage. You have ask the insurance company to state specifically the countries you will be driving in ( Ireland and UK ). If you do not do that the note will refer only to worldwide coverage and the car hire agent will use it as an excuse to upsell you. Last time I was home. June 2016 a VW golf cost me $11 per day. Total cost for a week was $73.

T Fearon

Why would an Omagh man want to rent a car at Dublin Airport? Surely it would be cheaper to either bring one of your own or rent one in advance up North?

gallsman

Quote from: T Fearon on September 25, 2016, 07:35:46 PM
Why would an Omagh man want to rent a car at Dublin Airport? Surely it would be cheaper to either bring one of your own or rent one in advance up North?

Some people have ventured further than a fifteen mile radius of the shit home they grew up in.

armaghniac

Quote from: Puckoon on September 25, 2016, 04:26:08 PM
Quote from: FL/MAYO on September 25, 2016, 02:58:01 PM
This works for me
1 Join hertz gold

I have the chase sapphire FL and last year they accepted my insurance but only after putting a €5000 hold on my card.

The join hertz Gold approach is one way of reducing this. If they "know you" they will put a lower hold on the card.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Good answers chaps gonna try them out and see what fits best..... will report back.

However I was told that the creidt card insurance thing didnt work... Ireland North and south was one of only a few countries that it didnt work for. Is this true?