USFC 2020 Semi-Final Armagh v Donegal

Started by Orior, November 03, 2020, 12:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omochain

With the exception of Kennedy our back 4 are not up to it. We must have no other players in the county who are better or we would play them!!! Right. It seems the team management are forced into making adjustments out the field to compensate for this weak defense and evidence today's game... that's not working

An Watcher

Let's not make distinctions between ulster and the wee six. Spend our lives hoping for a united Ireland without people on here distinguishing between them

general_lee

Quote from: bennydorano on November 14, 2020, 03:26:49 PM
Shane McConville, either McEntee? At least a different goalie might get a run.
And what are they going to do different with the backs we have?

Quote from: omochain on November 14, 2020, 03:32:17 PM
With the exception of Kennedy our back 4 are not up to it. We must have no other players in the county who are better or we would play them!!! Right. It seems the team management are forced into making adjustments out the field to compensate for this weak defense and evidence today's game... that's not working
I'm not sure the players are there right now in Armagh club football. I thought Forker done ok, Shields is great going forward and agree Kennedy is decent. We have no decent man markers nor a commanding goalkeeper

Captain Obvious

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 14, 2020, 03:14:20 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 14, 2020, 02:55:58 PM
Armagh was a million miles away from the competitive performance against Donegal in 2014. Only positive was no fans was in attendance to witness that.  Major improvement required in defence and midfield for 2021 to avoid seven division 1 defeats.
as a team we aren’t as good as 2014. We don’t have the same quality of players. Donegal are probably better now also.

Especially defensively. Hard to know with Donegal, 2014 they reached the All-Ireland final and hamerred Dublin on route.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: sid waddell on November 14, 2020, 03:04:18 PM
Six county Gaelic football has declined something shocking

Only Down left carrying the fleg in this year's championship now

Since the decline of the great Tyrone team there has been no outstanding team from the wee six

Down 2010 and Tyrone 2018 reached All-Ireland finals but Down 2010 were a flash in the pan and Tyrone 2018 stumbled into the final almost by default in a year when other potential challengers were taken out

7 of the last 9 Ulster Championships have gone to the saorstát and that looks almost certain to be 8 out of 10

Only Tyrone have maintained any sort of pretensions of being near the top table, Armagh, Down and Derry are in long slumbers, Fermanagh and Antrim can throw their hats at it

This is the first year since 2014 that an Ulster team has progressed further than Tyrone

bennydorano

Quote from: general_lee on November 14, 2020, 03:45:26 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 14, 2020, 03:26:49 PM
Shane McConville, either McEntee? At least a different goalie might get a run.
And what are they going to do different with the backs we have?

Quote from: omochain on November 14, 2020, 03:32:17 PM
I'm not sure the players are there right now in Armagh club football. I thought Forker done ok, Shields is great going forward and agree Kennedy is decent. We have no decent man markers nor a commanding goalkeeper
Well that's the joy of a new approach, trying something new, who knows? Maybe try something different with different personnel.

Sportacus

You'd have to wonder what all these development squads and Ulster council coaches is actually achieving. Armagh, Derry, Antrim, Fermanagh- the list goes on. all very average. It's a simple game.

bannside

Donegal are doing something right. I have a contact there who is well tuned in told me about Langan Farah Mogan a few years ago. 3 very classy acts. Add in 2 other class acts O Boille Ferry and Gillespie and theres no doubt Donegal are developing a better class of player than just about anybody else.

tbrick18

More or less as expected.
I predicted 10+ points to Donegal after the Tyrone game and watching Armagh v Derry.
Donegal, imo, are a full head and shoulders above everything else in Ulster. I think they have a real shot at all Ireland this year.
I'm not sure where Armagh go from this. I hear Mickey Harte is available.
Like most of the other Ulster teams, they just don't have enough players at that top level.

Someone commented on the development squads. I think they are a waste of time if you don't have top level coaches running them. That certainly hasn't always been the case in Derry, can't comment on other counties. I think it's also very important to get the right players into Dev squads. In Kerry I'm told they send the players who are behind the star players in clubs. It brings them on and when they return to the club, they push the star players on more. Might be something in that.
I'd prefer the money is pumped into the club's than these Dev squads. Improve the quality of coaching on a club by club basis at all under age levels...that's the way to improve imo.

Well done Donegal.

thewobbler

I'm thinking that Donegal have cottoned onto what Dublin / Gavin have largely mastered over the past few years.

The key to coaching a team in attacking football, isn't about percentages. It isn't about trying to get the players to make a preprogrammed decision based on an algorithm that derives from where they are on the field, and how they rank in terms of creativity among the team. It's about coaching players to move in such a way as to continually present options to the ball carrier, and then allowing him to make up his own mind. Then, when he makes up his mind, to do it with absolute conviction.

Whereas the key to defensive play isn't about setting up intricate systems and rules. It's first and foremost about winning your own personal battle, then looking for a bit of help when it's not possible to do so.

——

This isn't to say that Dublin and now Donegal don't have tactics or a style of football. But both play a remarkably simple game of football. Run into positions where you create an advantage to your team, then demand the ball. If you don't get it, repeat.

——

With the point being that Armagh, while not as slavishly bound to a system as Tyrone, Monaghan or Kerry have shown this year, don't play like this. Their defenders don't take personal responsibility. Their midfielders want to catch first, ensure possession second. Their forwards are talented, but not in terms of interplay. Donegal are pretty much the opposite.

redzone

What ever happened c ohanoln from armagh. He was touted to be the next big thing when he was younger

keeperlit

Quote from: Sportacus on November 14, 2020, 06:26:13 PM
You'd have to wonder what all these development squads and Ulster council coaches is actually achieving. Armagh, Derry, Antrim, Fermanagh- the list goes on. all very average. It's a simple game.
Very simple what it is achieving- a load of lads who can't make their way in the real
World milking the system and getting a complete clondyke out of it and it is all based on bluff.

MK

Quote from: thewobbler on November 14, 2020, 07:46:34 PM
I'm thinking that Donegal have cottoned onto what Dublin / Gavin have largely mastered over the past few years.

The key to coaching a team in attacking football, isn't about percentages. It isn't about trying to get the players to make a preprogrammed decision based on an algorithm that derives from where they are on the field, and how they rank in terms of creativity among the team. It's about coaching players to move in such a way as to continually present options to the ball carrier, and then allowing him to make up his own mind. Then, when he makes up his mind, to do it with absolute conviction.

Whereas the key to defensive play isn't about setting up intricate systems and rules. It's first and foremost about winning your own personal battle, then looking for a bit of help when it's not possible to do so.

——

This isn't to say that Dublin and now Donegal don't have tactics or a style of football. But both play a remarkably simple game of football. Run into positions where you create an advantage to your team, then demand the ball. If you don't get it, repeat.

——

With the point being that Armagh, while not as slavishly bound to a system as Tyrone, Monaghan or Kerry have shown this year, don't play like this. Their defenders don't take personal responsibility. Their midfielders want to catch first, ensure possession second. Their forwards are talented, but not in terms of interplay. Donegal are pretty much the opposite.

Remarkable the similarities of todays Donegal performance with what we've come accustomed to see from Dublin.13 scorers in a game against a team recently promoted to Div.1 and after being level after almost 10 minutes they proceeded to close out Armagh for the next 20 minutes which determined the final result.

After seeing Aidan Forker's performances in the Armagh Club  Championship this year is it not a little  surprising to see him in a role as a man marker thus negating his obvious offensive ability?

bennydorano

Quote from: thewobbler on November 14, 2020, 07:46:34 PM

——

——

Having the best players helps tho

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: MK on November 14, 2020, 08:51:32 PM
After seeing Aidan Forker's performances in the Armagh Club  Championship this year is it not a little  surprising to see him in a role as a man marker thus negating his obvious offensive ability?

Not surprising when there isn't anyone else up to the task.

Quote from: redzone on November 14, 2020, 08:32:07 PM
What ever happened c ohanoln from armagh. He was touted to be the next big thing when he was younger

On and off the panel for a few years. Went abroad for a bit. Back now. Still young enough and talented enough to be involved - should be on the panel for 2021, if he wants to be.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.