The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Did Mcgregor ever get shares in the company that time??

trailer

Quote from: The Iceman on October 08, 2018, 01:56:39 PM
I enjoyed the card from top to bottom, some great highlight reel finishes, comeback wins, all out wars and then the main event and antics afterwards.
Well worth the money.

I thought Conor did surprisingly well in the fight. Khabib is as elite as they come on the ground. His style is exhausting. He's like a pitbull who inches closer and closer to the neck.  How he ties up the legs is instinctual and only comes with years of training. There is no escape on the ground once he has you.  Conor did well to delay the inevitable and hoped to crack him on the feet. But he was so focused on avoiding the takedown he ate a huge shot from Khabib that would have KO'ed many fighters.  I see no shame in tapping out. He avoided injury and lives to fight another day. He could still technically fight on the November card in MSG.

I think there was some orchestration Khabib's teams part, to the antics afterwards. The lads climbing in to the cage when the fight was on the other side just seems too suspect. Granted McGregor swiped at a lad climbing out of the cage in to the fight but those two lads both went for him - real dirt.

Rematch.... Conor will want one for the money and can market it.  But he can't beat this boy. There's no adjustments he can make in a short amount of time that would equip him for Khabib.  His ground game is just too far behind. His only chance in a rematch was his same chance in the first fight - to catch him on the way in with the left or a knee.

I'm disappointed with the continued begrudgery from many Irish fans and the delight in his loss.  His antics before a fight are "all business" and if you meet the man in person he's completely different. His real persona is the man who was interviewed by Karen Bryant a couple of days before the fight. A happy, grateful man who came from nothing and now has it all, who still loves the sport and the competition.

He's a f**king asshole.

Wildweasel74

I think when you call a lad a traitor to his country and insult another religion; his father etc and then be suprised what went down sat night!  When you look at McGregor record how many 1-3 seeded fighter did he actually beat! As for holding 2 titled he never bothered to defend 1 of them!

The Iceman

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 08, 2018, 06:29:21 PM
I think when you call a lad a traitor to his country and insult another religion; his father etc and then be suprised what went down sat night!  When you look at McGregor record how many 1-3 seeded fighter did he actually beat! As for holding 2 titled he never bothered to defend 1 of them!
Nobody in MMA overlooks McGregor. They all recognize his skill. How many 1-3 seeded fighters did he beat? Well for starters you don't fight 1-3 ranked fighters until you're at that level.  His last fights have been Mendes at FW (meets your top 3 request), Aldo (#1 at FW and many people P4P top 3 at the time they fought), Diaz, twice (not ranked because of absence but definitely top 3 at LW) Alvarez (#1 at LW).... then he left to fight Floyd.

How do you think he makes his money? Just his showmanship and promotion? He can actually fight!
He got the FMW fight because he has skills and could promote the fight. If he was a quiet Katie Taylor type person nobody would really know who he is, let's be honest.  He would never have had the rise in MMA he had, he would never have been offered a chance at FMW and his name wouldn't be on the famous gaaboard....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

This reads like someone who hasn't the barest clue about McGregor's record or MMA in general. So many seem so keen to get a dig at him that they don't realise they're making a fool of themselves in the process.

nrico2006

Quote from: MoChara on October 07, 2018, 11:38:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 07, 2018, 10:16:11 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on October 07, 2018, 09:21:36 PM
It could be that McGregors lifestyle is catching up with him. Once he has lost that edge and hunger he has lost something intangible as a UFC fighter at the elite level. His primary motivation appears to be money and he already has enough of that.

Absolute nonsense.

McGregor is a striker, he fought maybe the best wrestler in the history of the UFC. There was no lack of heart or effort from him but I doubt you even watched fight. You'd rather feign concern on a thread.

But McGregor didn't even win the stand up last night, khabib knocked him down and everything

McGregor was too focused on Khabib gping for take downs, that itself led to him being more cautious on his feet and staying out of his normal attacking range more often than normal.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Quote from: Syferus on October 08, 2018, 07:56:31 PM

This reads like someone who hasn't the barest clue about McGregor's record or MMA in general. So many seem so keen to get a dig at him that they don't realise they're making a fool of themselves in the process.

Is this what they call irony?

Muck Savage

Its a money game and Conor Mac makes a lot of money for UFC. The Russian would beat him 9 time out of 10 and maybe even 10 times. UFC are going to look very hard to keep their cash cow as the main fighter in this weight. I'm expecting Khabib to get a long ban from this if not kicked out all-together. Thats sets up Conor up for a Ferguson fight and anther pay-day for UFC. Its that or keep Khabib in this and they make a fraction of the money.
After seeing fans fight on the street after, LV and Nevada won't want this guy around again.

JimStynes

What's the chances of the rematch being in Russia?

Wildweasel74

So he found 3 top seeded fighter out of 25 odd fights; was Diaz not rated at only no:5,

Syferus

Quote from: Muck Savage on October 08, 2018, 10:47:45 PM
Its a money game and Conor Mac makes a lot of money for UFC. The Russian would beat him 9 time out of 10 and maybe even 10 times. UFC are going to look very hard to keep their cash cow as the main fighter in this weight. I'm expecting Khabib to get a long ban from this if not kicked out all-together. Thats sets up Conor up for a Ferguson fight and anther pay-day for UFC. Its that or keep Khabib in this and they make a fraction of the money.
After seeing fans fight on the street after, LV and Nevada won't want this guy around again.

McGregor has a million other fights he can make that are bigger than Khabib.

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on October 08, 2018, 10:52:54 PM
What's the chances of the rematch being in Russia?

On Christmas Day perhaps?

gallsman

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 08, 2018, 09:21:48 PM
It could be that McGregors lifestyle is catching up with him. Once he has lost that edge and hunger he has lost something intangible as a UFC fighter at the elite level. His primary motivation appears to be money and he already has enough of that.

Absolute nonsense.

McGregor is a striker, he fought maybe the best wrestler in the history of the UFC. There was no lack of heart or effort from him but I doubt you even watched fight. You'd rather feign concern on a thread.

But McGregor didn't even win the stand up last night, khabib knocked him down and everything

McGregor was too focused on Khabib gping for take downs, that itself led to him being more cautious on his feet and staying out of his normal attacking range more often than normal.

That's not what happened at all. Khabib stood in front of him pretty much the entire third round. Only focusing on his own strengths would have been a disaster and the fight would have been more of a mauling than it already was. It was by virtue of the fact that he clearly trained his wrestling so much that he was able to give a good account of himself defensively on the ground.

Khabib is just a horrible, horrible match up for him. He didn't fear the power and that gave him the ability to shoot whenever he wanted. Once he grabs hold of you it's over.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on October 08, 2018, 11:57:00 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on October 08, 2018, 09:21:48 PM

Absolute nonsense.

That's not what happened at all. Khabib stood in front of him pretty much the entire third round. Only focusing on his own strengths would have been a disaster and the fight would have been more of a mauling than it already was. It was by virtue of the fact that he clearly trained his wrestling so much that he was able to give a good account of himself defensively on the ground.

Khabib is just a horrible, horrible match up for him. He didn't fear the power and that gave him the ability to shoot whenever he wanted. Once he grabs hold of you it's over.

Third round was after about ten minutes of him laying on top of McGregor wearing him down. Very different to standing and trading in the first round when McGregor was fresh. Grappling in MMA is shite to watch and someone like Khabib should never have been given a contract in the UFC to begin with. Sport needs to be entertaining to be sellable and Khabib's style is anything but.

gallsman

Doesn't matter. If he doesn't have KO power 10 minutes into a 25 minute fight, regardless of energy expenditure, that points to bigger problems.

But if you insist, go back five minutes earlier to round 2, five minutes less of grappling dominance when Khabib was still happy enough to attend and trade with him to the extent he put him in his arse.

"One of the most outstanding and dominant performers in UFC history shouldn't have been given a UFC contract"

Intriguing, but unsurprisingly stupid, take on things.