Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: SkillfulBill on May 29, 2018, 12:11:11 PM
Quote from: bigtogs on May 29, 2018, 11:38:29 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 29, 2018, 10:55:47 AM
Errigal were also good last night.  They performed well in beating Clonoe, the end score line probably flattered Clonoe.  Clonoe didn't really come out for the 2nd half. Errigal blitzed them in the opening stages of that half and Clonoe didn't have the answer.  Was impressed by their CHF P McAnenly, he give Clonoe the runabout the full game.

Cant disagree with that we have lost a lot of players and are in a period where we just dont have the replacements we are fighting for our right to still play senior football make no mistake about that we have some tough games coming up but hopefully we will be ok..ayharan galbally and derrylaughan are must win games for us....

Just looking at the Div 1 table and it makes for interesting reading this year are we starting to see a changing of the guard with a few clubs slipping down the rankings Clonoe Coalisland Carrickmore and possibly Killyclogher finding the going more difficult this year. I have no doubt that these clubs will stay up but its not normal to.see them entering the second half of the league with their Div 1 status in question. Who are the likely clubs to replace them as top half challengers or is the league likely break down into 3-4 real top teams with the other 12 also rans.

Interesting point Bill. The consensus I have heard over the past few years is that the strength in depth of Tyrone club football is massive compared to other counties. For example while Derry and Armagh have had stand out clubs in Slaughtneil and Cross, Tyrone have had 7 or 8 teams all at a similar level who are capable of winning the championship. Over the past few years these have been Errigal, Omagh, Clonoe, Coalisland, Dromore, Killyclogher, Trillick and Carrickmore to a lesser extent although they did reach a few finals.

Over the last number of years there was a clear divide between these teams and the bottom half of Division 1, with few shock results. However as you say there is a changing of the guard slightly this year with Clonoe, Coalisland, Killyclogher and Carmen all having poor starts to the league. This is even evident in a few Last Man Standings that I have been involved in where there has been a tonne of early exiters, whereas in previous years these went on in to the very final stages of the League.

I'm wondering if this all means if there has been a drop in standards across the board, and we areseeing a few teams like Trillick, Errigal, Omagh and Dromore start to break away with the rest of the division remaining tight enough. Another possible explanation is that moreso than previous years we have the best 16 teams in the county in Division 1 this year. No disrespect to these teams but in previous years there was always an Urney, Strabane or Greencastle (mainly thinking of last year with Greencastle after they lost a few players) who struggled to pick up any points at all. There doesn't seem to be a standout weak team as such this year.

I think this can even be seen in the fact that a huge majority of the Tyrone panel this year is playing their club football in Division 1, leading to a greater depth of quality in that division. Previous years would have seen maybe 10 county players in Division 2, whereas this year there is only Padraig McNulty and Cathal McShane.

So basically either there is a drop in standards with a smaller group of teams beginning to stand out from the pack, or there is a greater spread of quality throughout the division with most sides capable of being each other on their day. I am leaning towards the latter.

TyroneOnlooker

Personally i think standards have dropped across the board this year. Most teams are capable of beating each other on their day with the exception of a couple of fixtures in Div 1 where there would be no contest. However if you look at Div 1 and 2, Trillick unbeaten in Div 1 and Eglish in Div 2. I think it's more a case of other teams slipping rather than those 2 improving that much. In Div 2 literally any team could beat the other with a couple of injuries or boys going to america being the difference between challenging or midtable, staying up or relegation.

Tyrone Gaa

2 big points for derrylaughan tonight, Ardboe were very disappointing and offered little as an attacking threat. Derrylaughan showed all the hunger and fight. Not 2 often you see an Ardboe side lie down, this side did.
Living the dream!!!

Dire Ear

Would that be a first for Derrylaughan?

bigtogs

Quote from: Dire Ear on May 30, 2018, 09:39:34 AM

First time to beat Ardboe?? No chance Derrylaughan where the last team never to be out of senior football with Carrickmore until the got relegated about 1990 or so.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: bigtogs on May 30, 2018, 10:21:46 AM

First time to beat Ardboe?? No chance Derrylaughan where the last team never to be out of senior football with Carrickmore until the got relegated about 1990 or so.

Junior Football Champions in 1949??

Ty4Sam

Revised fixture plan out...starred games for next few weeks, God knows what will happen after if Tyrone reach Super 8's.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Ty4Sam on May 30, 2018, 10:50:36 AM
Revised fixture plan out...starred games for next few weeks, God knows what will happen after if Tyrone reach Super 8's.

Where is this plan available?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

bigtogs

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 30, 2018, 10:34:11 AM

Junior Football Champions in 1949??

Correct they had a Junior and senior team then..

Therealdonald

I thought them hallions were never relegated either? Were they not top of the league 1 year then mowed Omagh in the Cup and got banned for a year and relegated then? So not a de-facto relegation I suppose....big result for the DKB's anyway

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Therealdonald on May 30, 2018, 04:08:54 PM

I thought them hallions were never relegated either? Were they not top of the league 1 year then mowed Omagh in the Cup and got banned for a year and relegated then? So not a de-facto relegation I suppose....big result for the DKB's anyway

Not sure about that Relegation but they were relegated in the 2000's with very few points maybe 0.  I remember winning a last man standing from always picking the other team.  They've got their house in order and wont be relegated this year.  What is the average relegations points total.  In the Premier League they say 40 points is safe.  In Div 1 would 14 points be the required number to say 100% safe?
Living the dream!!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 30, 2018, 11:14:23 AM

My own club whatsapp group has the same information, games first three weekends of June. Taking it as emailed to club secretaries.

If Tyrone get to Super 8s there'll be no football played whatsoever. Maybe reserves.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 30, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

Not sure about that Relegation but they were relegated in the 2000's with very few points maybe 0.  I remember winning a last man standing from always picking the other team.  They've got their house in order and wont be relegated this year.  What is the average relegations points total.  In the Premier League they say 40 points is safe.  In Div 1 would 14 points be the required number to say 100% safe?

I'd say if you get 10 this year you'll be safe.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 30, 2018, 04:41:54 PM

I meant Ardboe were never relegated as far as I can remember. 10 I'd say is the magic number. 5 wins would keep you up

Ty4Sam

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 30, 2018, 04:43:41 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 30, 2018, 11:14:23 AM

My own club whatsapp group has the same information, games first three weekends of June. Taking it as emailed to club secretaries.

If Tyrone get to Super 8s there'll be no football played whatsoever. Maybe reserves.

Yeah, sent out to club secretaries this morning. Dates for U14, minor and senior/reserves for next 2 months. Good move from CCC with a bit of clarity.