The Unofficial Sunderland Thread

Started by Mentalman, January 24, 2008, 12:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Sunderland have parted company with manager Roy Keane, skysports.com understands.

Keane had been locked in talks over a new deal, which had refused to sign until he was fully happy with the terms.

Now the Irish legend has walked away from the job, following weeks of speculation about his position.

Keane took charge in August 2006 and he made an immediate impact as he guided Sunderland to the Championship title the following May.

Last season the club consolidated their place in the top-flight and Keane's task this term was to make an assault on the top-half of the table.

With that in mind, Sunderland backed Keane by spending nearly £30million on new players with the likes of Djibril Cisse, Pascal Chimbonda, Anton Ferdinand, El-Hadji Diouf and George McCartney all coming in.

Coupled with the plus £30million spent the previous summer, expectation levels were high on Wearside.

However, despite a morale boosting Wear-Tyne victory over rivals Newcastle - their first since 1980 - Sunderland's form and place in the league has plummeted.

Just two wins in ten league games sees them in the bottom three, and speculation has been rife in the North East over the last month that Keane was ready to walk away from the club.

And now the former Manchester United has left his first managerial post, leaving Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn with the task of finding somebody to guide the club to Premier League safety.

The Real Laoislad

Sunderland win again,amazing what a club can do with A) A manager who knows what he is doing and B) A manager who is respected by the players
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Donagh

Who have they beaten without him? Oh that's right West Brom and Hull  ::)  Think I would have a fair chance of matching that and I couldn't even explain the offside rule to you.

new devil

corn02

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Donagh on December 20, 2008, 05:23:48 PM
Who have they beaten without him? Oh that's right West Brom and Hull  ::)  Think I would have a fair chance of matching that and I couldn't even explain the offside rule to you.

The same Hull who are 6th in the League.........
You'll Never Walk Alone.

corn02

Quote from: Donagh on December 20, 2008, 05:23:48 PM

Very disrespectful to Hull. Have you watched them play this year. Extremely well organised, superb workrate, great mentality and half-decent players. They are playing very, very well and fully merit their lofty position.

new devil

Quote from: corn02 on December 20, 2008, 05:30:10 PM
Quote from: new devil on December 20, 2008, 05:27:53 PM
Maybe Rafa should walk to  ;D

Yeah because Liverpool are only top like?

What have yous won in last 2 years again?

corn02

Quote from: new devil on December 20, 2008, 05:32:40 PM

Brilliant, what did yous win in the two years prior to that? If you want to revert back to the past lets strecth it past two years, let's stretch it back a 150 years and we have won more than you, see you lose.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: new devil on December 20, 2008, 05:32:40 PM

What Primary school are you a student at again?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 20, 2008, 05:04:24 PM
Sunderland win again,amazing what a club can do with A) A manager who knows what he is doing and B) A manager who is respected by the players

To try to claim that Keane wasn't a success at Sunderland is a nonsense arguement. Yes he shouldn't have walked out so quickly but fundamentally his time at the club was a success and he showed more positive qualities for management than negative ones.

QuoteBrilliant, what did yous win in the two years prior to that? If you want to revert back to the past lets strecth it past two years, let's stretch it back a 150 years and we have won more than you, see you lose.

Another 2 years should sort that one out Corn  ;)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on December 20, 2008, 05:43:27 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on December 20, 2008, 05:04:24 PM

To try to claim that Keane wasn't a success at Sunderland is a nonsense arguement. Yes he shouldn't have walked out so quickly but fundamentally his time at the club was a success and he showed more positive qualities for management than negative ones.

Your entitled to your opinion....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magpie seanie

Sunderland are quite clearly a better team then Liverpool judging by results of the last two weekends.

The Real Laoislad

That would make them better than Man United so.....
You'll Never Walk Alone.