The Unofficial Sunderland Thread

Started by Mentalman, January 24, 2008, 12:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 28, 2008, 06:35:00 PM
Quote from: full back on August 28, 2008, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 27, 2008, 11:24:04 PM
Quote from: Yes I Would on August 26, 2008, 11:57:03 PM
Roy certainly isnt afraid to splash the cash. 8 million snoops for Anton Ferdinand.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/7580244.stm

When i heard on the radio that Keane had signed Ferdinand i thought for one second that Keane had lost the plot totally and bought Rio "I didn't mean to miss a drugs test" Ferdinand then i realised it was Anton and thought yeah maybe not a bad signing for Sunderland

::)
Bet a few scousers wouldnt mind Rio

Heard somewhere Keane said the cups are the only chance he has of silverware this season so he wont be resting any players or doing squad rotation for cup games this year

Why would we want him?

Please tell me you are on the wind up LL  :D

BTW, A Ferdinand is a decent signing. Suprised West Ham let him go

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on August 29, 2008, 08:42:05 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 28, 2008, 06:35:00 PM
Quote from: full back on August 28, 2008, 11:36:40 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 27, 2008, 11:24:04 PM
Quote from: Yes I Would on August 26, 2008, 11:57:03 PM
Roy certainly isnt afraid to splash the cash. 8 million snoops for Anton Ferdinand.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/7580244.stm

When i heard on the radio that Keane had signed Ferdinand i thought for one second that Keane had lost the plot totally and bought Rio "I didn't mean to miss a drugs test" Ferdinand then i realised it was Anton and thought yeah maybe not a bad signing for Sunderland

::)
Bet a few scousers wouldnt mind Rio

Heard somewhere Keane said the cups are the only chance he has of silverware this season so he wont be resting any players or doing squad rotation for cup games this year

Why would we want him?

Please tell me you are on the wind up LL  :D

No not at all
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

Have to agree to disagree again LL

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

Keane is trying to sign Mc Cartney from the Hammers before the deadline.
North or South, as long as there is an Ireland in your place of origin Keane will take you.
If he does sign how many players from Ireland will he have on the books?

ExiledGael

Quote from: full back on September 01, 2008, 08:31:00 PM
North or South, as long as there is an Ireland in your place of origin Keane will take you.

BBC quoting six million quid!! About four million too much.

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on September 01, 2008, 08:55:28 PM
Quote from: full back on September 01, 2008, 08:31:00 PM

BBC quoting six million quid!! About four million too much.

A bit harsh Exiled. I actually thought he had a pretty good season for the hammers last year.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

He's a decent player. £4.5 million I hear it is now, closer to the truth.

Mentalman

Some mark up, when you consider he went to West Ham from Sunderland for 1 million & CLive Clark went the other way.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Donagh

Roy Keane in 'clown' attack on Jack Warner

Short shrift: Keane let the Fifa vice-president know exactly what he thinks of criticism over Dwight Yorke's availability for Trinidad & Tobago
Times Online

Roy Keane has attacked Jack Warner, the Fifa vice-president, by branding him "a clown".

Warner, a special advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation, wrote to Keane this week to accuse him of "insensitivity and disrespect" after Dwight Yorke, the Sunderland midfielder, was withdrawn from the squad to face the United States in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday. But Keane, who was unhappy that the letter had been leaked to the media, called him to tell him exactly what he thought, and his contempt has apparently grown during the ensuing days.

The Sunderland manager was also upset that Warner has never tried to contact him about Kenwyne Jones, his striker, who suffered knee ligament damage playing for his country in a friendly against England in June. "It's just ridiculous," Keane said. "This clown is writing letters through the media.

"I spoke to Yorkie, who has officially retired a number of times. He is 36, and if they are depending on a 36-year-old to get them through to the World Cup in two years ... I spoke to the man on Wednesday myself and I told him exactly what I thought about him. He has not once called or dropped a letter about Kenwyne.
Related Links

"Carlos Edwards was over and has played a couple of games for them - Carlos was selected last year when he had a broken leg.

"[Warner] is probably a small man and he has got this 'Small-Man Syndrome'. The world is against him. If he is writing a letter representing Trinidad, why is he putting it under Fifa? If he is vice-president - and remember, he is vice-president, he is not president yet - God help us.

"People worry about the game and agents and directors of football and managers losing their jobs - we should be worried about people like him."

Yorke, who can also expect a rebuke from his club manager, captained his country in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Guatemala in Port of Spain, but was missing when they lost 3-0 to USA in Chicago four days later.

Yet, Keane, who insisted he has never prevented a player from linking up with his country, was adamant he has an arrangement with his former Manchester United team-mate. "Kenwyne got injured playing in a friendly," he said. "I don't know what deal was going on with England that time, obviously a deal for [World Cup] votes or whatever. Kenwyne injured his knee even though he had broken his wrist in the last game for us and I was pretty sure he wasn't available. Then I saw Yorkie coming on for a 20-minute cameo appearance.

"Yorkie is 36 bloody years of age - I'm blaming him anyway. He's a clown as well. You retire and then go on an ego trip. He has not played in the Premier League since he busted his cheekbone [in pre-season], and he goes over and he played the first game, 90 minutes.

"He couldn't play Saturday, Wednesday and then try to get involved for us on Saturday, no chance, absolutely no chance. If I had known that, he probably wouldn't have got another year's contract from me. You have got to prioritise certain things at his age.

"All my other eight or nine players who were away, no problem. They have all been selected for every friendly match - I have never, ever once spoken to one of my players about missing a game, never. Certain managers do - certain managers look after certain national teams, I know that. The man [Warner] is a clown."

Whether Yorke makes the squad for tomorrow's Barclays Premier League trip to Wigan remains to be seen as Keane and his players attempt to avenge their 3-0 defeat at the JJB Stadium last season, and bounce back from their mauling by the same score on their own turf by Manchester City last time out.

Recent signings Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney could be included, but Edwards is unlikely to figure after his gruelling trip to the Caribbean, while Dean Whitehead is struggling with a hip injury.

Main Street

I can't work it out

Yorke played for T&T on the Saturday

4 days later Yorke did not play for T&T against the USA.

Warner is upset with Keane
Keane is upset with everybody

On second thoughts, do I really want to know why.

bingobus

It gets better, from RTE sport;

FIFA's Warner makes Keane Saipan jibe
Friday, 12 September 2008 16:50
The war of words between Roy Keane and Jack Warner has intensified with the FIFA vice-president making a personal attack on the Sunderland manager and refrencing the Saipan incident, after the Irishman had called him 'a clown'.

Warner is special advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago FA and incurred Keane's wrath for criticising his decision to withdraw Dwight Yorke from international duty.

The Sunderland boss described Warner as 'a clown' and said: 'If he is vice-president of FIFA, then God help us', and suggested he wrote letters on FIFA-headed writing paper 'just to impress everybody'.

Now Warner has retaliated with a new letter attacking Keane - and making a dig about his own conduct in walking out on the Republic of Ireland before the 2002 World Cup.

Today's letter says: 'The disrespectful tone of your reported comments further demonstrates the total disrespect that you and others of your ilk have generally for players and officials from "small" countries.

'It is obviously difficult for you to accept the fact that someone from a "small" country could rise to become a vice-president of FIFA.

'I chose to respond on a FIFA letter-head because that is a privilege afforded me owing to my said status and the fact that your callousness showed utter disregard for FIFA's regulations re the release of players for international duty. Regrettably, but not surprisingly, you did not grasp the message.

'In closing may I remind you that a player's greatest honour is to represent his country in spite of the fact that you chose to walk away from yours during the 2002 Korea/Japan World Cup after publicly abusing your manager... indictment that you will no doubt be proud of up to today. Poor Sunderland.'

No love for Keane but this clown from T&T sounds like a right ejit.

Main Street

I am beginning to warm to this crook Warner.

thebandit

Quote from: Main Street on September 12, 2008, 04:57:18 PM

And thats exactly what he is - he was found to be dealing in World Cup tickets for over face value!

Evil Genius

Quote from: thebandit on September 12, 2008, 05:24:13 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 12, 2008, 04:57:18 PM

And thats exactly what he is - he was found to be dealing in World Cup tickets for over face value!

That's only part of it. The "Official World Cup Travel Agent" to the T&T Football Federation (i.e. the only Tour Operator able to offer packages including match tickets) was owned by a certain Jack Warner. When this was exposed by journalists independently of FIFA, they reluctantly ordered him to divest himself of any contact with the Travel Agency (after the WC Finals were over and the profits made, mind).

This Warner did by selling the Agency. To his son.

Of course, this is by no means the o0nly questionable dealing involving Warner. His own World Cup players had to take him to Court to secure the bonuses they were promised for getting to the World Cup Finals. He has point blank refused to pay them, even after they won their Court case:
http://playthegame.org/Home/News/Up_To_Date/Trinidad_and_Tobagos_national_team_resigns_in_row_over_World_Cup_bonus.aspx
http://playthegame.org/News/Up_To_Date/Arbitrators_rule_in_favour_of_players_in_dispute_over_World_Cup_earnings_23050001.aspx

Closer to home, T&T played Scotland at Hampden as part of their World Cup warm-up. After the game, Warner asked for the SFA to make the cheque for T&T's appearance fee out to him personally, rather than the Federation, as would invariably be the case. The Clerk involved was put under so much pressure by Warner, that the Secretary of the SFA had personally to issue a direct instruction to the Clerk NOT to do so in any circumstances.  

Which all came back to haunt the SFA when (Scot) John McBeth, prompted by experiences such as above, made some unguarded comments to journalists about corruption amongst African and Caribbean FA's. McBeth was nominated by the four UK Associations to be their representative FIFA Vice President, until he was "blackballed" by a number of Associations, led by (you've guessed it) Jack Warner. Which was convenient for him, since Warner was (again) being investigated by the FIFA Ethics Committee at the time...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article1857290.ece
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"