The Unofficial Sunderland Thread

Started by Mentalman, January 24, 2008, 12:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Its seems now they are safe. Fair play to Keane, watched Sunderland a few times at the beginning of the season and thought they were very poor and had no chance of surviving.He must have done something right!

Mentalman

Fair dues to the Mackems, it seems they are definitely safe after todays win, Chopra and Murphy contributing crucial strikes again - right decision made not to loan out  both. They'll be hoping to make it more comfortable next year and not supper second season syndrome. Speaking of which it's really squeeky bum territory for Reading - hope they escape.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

stew

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on April 06, 2008, 02:29:35 PM
Its seems now they are safe. Fair play to Keane, watched Sunderland a few times at the beginning of the season and thought they were very poor and had no chance of surviving.He must have done something right!

:D

You taking the piss right?

What he did was spend a ton of money and still nearly managed to get relegated.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Mentalman

Quote from: stew on April 26, 2008, 10:18:22 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on April 06, 2008, 02:29:35 PM

:D

You taking the piss right?

What he did was spend a ton of money and still nearly managed to get relegated.

Jasus Stew, I thought this has already been more than fleshed out on the thread so far  :D

The various transfers were mentioned further up the thread.

Found this elsewhere to show the sheer level of spending, worldwide. City surprised me coming in top in the Premiership. The Fulham figures kind of bear out what Tony said the other day, without getting in digs at Sanchez - that's a lot of dollars and still looking relegation down the barrel.

"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Carmen Stateside

nifan

I hope sunderland buy Jonny Evans in the summer.
Id probably have liked him to go to a bigger club in the past, but he seems to have done well under Keane so it may be a decent move for him

full back

Start of the clear out?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/7389966.stm

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has begun his summer cull by telling four players he will not be renewing their deals.

Veteran striker Andy Cole along with defenders Ian Harte, Stanislav Varga and Stephen Wright have all been released by the Wearside club.

Keane vowed to shake up his squad after securing the club's Premier League future for next season.

He now reportedly wants the Sunderland board to give him another £50m to bring in new players for the next campaign.

Keane said: "I have sat down with Andy, Ian, Stephen and Stan and they won't be getting new contracts."

Cole and Varga had only just returned to training with Sunderland from their respective loan spells at Burnley.

606: DEBATE
Dwight Yorke is still negotiating, but more of a coach role

DS
Cole, 36, joined up with his former Manchester United team-mate Keane on a one-year deal last summer but only made five appearances for the Black Cats.

Former Leeds player Harte was also brought in by Keane, who he played alongside for the Republic of Ireland, in 2007.

Varga joined Sunderland from Celtic in 2006, while Wright joined from Liverpool in 2002 for £3m and recently had a spell on loan at Stoke.

Tommy Tibbs

Sunderland have completed the surprise signing of Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Nick Colgan.

The 34-year-old has penned a one-year deal at the Stadium of Light after leaving Ipswich at the end of last season.

Colgan recently had a trial at Bradford, but failed to win a deal at Valley Parade.

However, Keane has decided to offer the former Chelsea man the chance to play in the Premier League and he will provide cover for No.1 Craig Gordon.

"It's a huge challenge which I'm really looking forward to," Colgan told the club's official website.

"I got the call from the gaffer and he gave me 24 hours to think about it, but I think it took me about 24 seconds to decide!

"He told me he wants to carry a good squad of goalkeepers and it's my job to bring my experience to the other keepers and to add some pressure on them and keep them on their toes, and I'm looking forward to getting started."

Many of Keano's purchases leave a lot to be desired, Colgan cant even make it at Bradford but gets a deal at Sunderland.  ::)

The Real Laoislad

El Hadji Diouf signs for Sunderland....
How will himself and Keane get on?
One is a full of himself,always thinks he's right opinionated ignoramus the other is Diouf  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

First Diouf and now Cisse,Keane going for Liverpools rejects..I expect to see Djimi Traore Igor Biscan next to sign for Sunderland  :D

Cisse set for Sunderland
Marseille agree to loan striker to Black Cats

Marseille have confirmed that there is an 'agreement in principle' for Djibril Cisse to join Sunderland on a season-long loan deal.

Former Liverpool striker Cisse has been strongly linked with a return to the Premier League over the summer.

Bolton Wanderers were mooted as suitors of the France international, but he is now set for a move to the Stadium of Light.

The French club's chairman Pape Diouf has revealed that there is a deal in place for Cisse to spend the season with Roy Keane's side.

"An agreement in principle has been reached between OM and Sunderland for the loan of Djibril Cisse to the English club until the end of the season," Diouf told the club's official website.

"Some details still need to be sorted out ahead of the confirmation of the loan."

Black Cats boss Keane revealed earlier on Wednesday that he was hoping to bring in more new signings within the next 48 hours.

Keane had agreed deals for three players, and was also aiming to land a fourth, with Cisse the first of those set to arrive in the North East.

Cisse has spent the past two years at Marseille after originally joining the club on loan following an injury-hit stint at Liverpool.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

fred the red

I see david healey is having a medical at sunderland today.

I wonder how his flute playing antics will go down with the strong irish element at the club!

Main Street

Quote from: fred the red on August 21, 2008, 05:36:23 PM
I see david healey is having a medical at sunderland today.

I wonder how his flute playing antics will go down with the strong irish element at the club!
You mean the air flute  ;D
Anybody who upsets a group of díckheads has something going for them. More power to Healy.

Roy Keane  looks to be setting up an All Ireland team by proxy.

Longshanks

I still think Healy will be a backup to Jones and Cisse when everyone is fit though and more of an impact sub..

magpie seanie

Looks like Keane is beefing up the squad again. While some of these players have failed at just below the highest level they will probably be good enough to get Sunderland higher up the table than last year.

Can't wait to see Fearon's reaction to Keane buying Healy! Should be comical.

Uladh

Depending on what he paid, Healy may not be a bad buy for the squad. Murphy and Cisse are the obvious starting 2 until jones displaces Murphy. Healy would be decent cover i suppose.