The Unofficial Sunderland Thread

Started by Mentalman, January 24, 2008, 12:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 27, 2008, 04:32:13 PM
I dunno Lynchbhoy,

I think a team like Everton would have allowed him to acclimate to the premiership, and it's not like he'd be joining Accrington Stanley. If he had time to find his feet in the premiership without being under pressure for his place, and in the white heat of Old Trafford, it may have suited him.

Of course it was a gamble to go there, that he chose to take and it hasn't worked out. There's no guarantee my way would have been a better bet, but I'd have preferred the cautious approach.
IMO the cautious approach was to stay where he was, accept the new contract with larger pay packet, learn from proven seasoned veterens, get more experience playing in CL,

taking a step back into lesser clubs (they are not bad but you know what I mean) with no CL exposure, no chance of winning titles etc would not have been the way to go.

By going to man u, he proved he was ambitious, but it was just too soon and in that team youneed to be at your peak, there is no time for beginners or improvers in their quest for silverware.
pity, I really thought he could be good. Now he's only a shadow of the player he looked like being (and on occasion was - even as a young player)

Rem Celtic farmed him out to Aarhus (I think it was) in scandinavia for a year to get exp and to help recouperate from inj.

magpie seanie

Surprised to see Miller getting moved along given some of his recent form being decent. Must have dirtied his copy book a bit. In all truth though if Sunderland have aspirations of being in the top half of the table lads like Miller aren't good enough. Reid would be a better player all told than Miller though a bit injury prone too.

The Real Laoislad

Have to agree with lynchbhoy..
I think he would have been far better off staying at Celtic,He was fast becoming a fans favourite after good displays in Champions League games
And the experience of playing in CL games and with far more seasoned pros around him compared to clubs like Everton etc it would have been an overall better decision..
Dare i say Keane has now twice upset this lads career? Once in being the go between in his move to Old Trafford and now by letting him go?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 27, 2008, 05:16:20 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 27, 2008, 04:32:13 PM
I dunno Lynchbhoy,

I think a team like Everton would have allowed him to acclimate to the premiership, and it's not like he'd be joining Accrington Stanley. If he had time to find his feet in the premiership without being under pressure for his place, and in the white heat of Old Trafford, it may have suited him.

Of course it was a gamble to go there, that he chose to take and it hasn't worked out. There's no guarantee my way would have been a better bet, but I'd have preferred the cautious approach.
IMO the cautious approach was to stay where he was, accept the new contract with larger pay packet, learn from proven seasoned veterens, get more experience playing in CL,

taking a step back into lesser clubs (they are not bad but you know what I mean) with no CL exposure, no chance of winning titles etc would not have been the way to go.

By going to man u, he proved he was ambitious, but it was just too soon and in that team youneed to be at your peak, there is no time for beginners or improvers in their quest for silverware.
pity, I really thought he could be good. Now he's only a shadow of the player he looked like being (and on occasion was - even as a young player)

Rem Celtic farmed him out to Aarhus (I think it was) in scandinavia for a year to get exp and to help recouperate from inj.

Ah yeah, I agree he should have stayed at Celtic too. I should have said that seeing as how he was determined to move, he should have moved to a club where he was in with a good chance of playing every week.

magpie seanie

QuoteDare i say Keane has now twice upset this lads career? Once in being the go between in his move to Old Trafford and now by letting him go?

Roy is also to blame for global warming, the carnage on our roads and our obviously falling standards of education....

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 27, 2008, 08:39:44 PM
QuoteDare i say Keane has now twice upset this lads career? Once in being the go between in his move to Old Trafford and now by letting him go?

Roy is also to blame for global warming, the carnage on our roads and our obviously falling standards of education....

The Bastard !
You'll Never Walk Alone.

longball

didnt keane give an interview on MUTV that time and slate Miller as well saying united would get nowhere with players like Liam Miller and Darren Fletcher!!!! Miller then went on to join Leeds on loan where he shud of styed because he was playing good ball for them in championship! where will he go now??? my guess is Wolves! or Hibs!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Croí na hÉireann

Apparently Liam has problems with his time keeping, if he starts getting in on time he has a future there. Poor sod has to be in for 10.30...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Mentalman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 28, 2008, 11:08:36 AM
Apparently Liam has problems with his time keeping, if he starts getting in on time he has a future there. Poor sod has to be in for 10.30...

Wouldn't be surprised if it's something like that.

The other way to look at that is that Keane facilitated a dream move to one of the biggest clubs in the world. When that didn't work out, at his earliest opportunity, he made Liam one of his first signings of his new management career. It's all about perspective, but to me there would definitely an element of someone showing faith and giving opportunities, which for one reason and another haven't been taken?
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Declan

Sunderland boss Roy Keane has confirmed Liam Miller was transfer-listed because of poor time-keeping.

The 27-year-old Republic of Ireland international was told he could leave the club yesterday after arriving late for training on several occasions.

Keane, who once left three players behind on Wearside after they turned up late for the bus to an away match, had little hesitation in asserting his authority once again.

He said: "The problem is Liam's time-keeping, it is as simple as that. It is nothing to do with Liam as a player or as a lad.

"I have got a lot of time for Liam, but we set a very high standard at the football club and unfortunately, Liam has not been unable to match that, so we have put him on the transfer list and we will see what happens.

"You have got to be on time for training. If a player is late once or twice, well and good; if he is late three or four times, maybe well and good.

"But when it goes beyond five, six, seven times, then you have got to draw the line. In any walk of life, you have got to be on time.

"We had an incident last year when players were late for the bus, and you move on. We cannot wait for anybody at the club."

Miller played in the reserves' 1-0 defeat at Bolton last night on his return from a calf injury hours after being told of the decision, although it remains to be seen whether he will be included in the senior squad for Saturday's Barclays Premier League trip to Derby.

However, while his future looks bleak on Wearside, Keane has not entirely closed the door on him.

He said: "Liam played last night and if he performs like he did last night and nobody comes in for him, then who knows?

"As long as he is under the roof, you feel, as with lots of other players, they have always got a chance.

"We have got a lot of other players who have not been involved in the first team for the last few months, but if they keep working hard, then you never know when they will get the opportunity."

Uladh

AZOffaly

What a bad reflection on Liam Miller. If a professional footballer can't be arsed turning up on time, then it really doesn't auger well for his professionalism elsewhere.

That's poor form out of Miller.

Billys Boots

Quotebut to me there would definitely an element of someone showing faith and giving opportunities, which for one reason and another haven't been taken?

I'm with you there Mentalman.  You're really a Longfordman at heart - come back from the dark-side.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mentalman

There ya go, kind of goes back to something that came up in the Gazza context last week - discipline, but more importantly self discipline. Who knows what going on with the guy, but for his sake I hope he pulls his socks up and gives it a right lash and takes the chance available to him.

Mentalman

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 28, 2008, 12:17:36 PM
Quotebut to me there would definitely an element of someone showing faith and giving opportunities, which for one reason and another haven't been taken?

I'm with you there Mentalman.  You're really a Longfordman at heart - come back from the dark-side.

LOL that's the granny coming out in me alright. Then again with a grandfather from Meath I'm probably where I deserve to be - stuck in the middle!