What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: BennyCake on April 04, 2018, 03:16:20 PM

- black card = a penalty kick
Would be a bit daft to be awarded a penalty for a third man tackle at the other end of the field. The black card is past its sell by date IMO it should go back to the yellow and red cards only.

munchkin

At this stage I'd be in favour of some sort of restriction of the handpass.

Maybe limiting it to 5 or 6 is a little hard to implement (as the steps rule shows), and even if you do then people will do a 2m foot pass to reset the clock.
What you could have is a ban on handpassing between the 45s, forcing teams to play the ball down the field with a foot pass as they cant run the ball with 200 hand passes when theres a zone in the middle where hand passes are banned. 

Ball Hopper

What about an "over-and-back" ban, where the ball cannot come back over some line...maybe a team's own 65 (midfield would be the logical one, if the line went from sideline to sideline)?  Loss of possession and no score allowed from resulting free kick for infringement. 

Zulu

I'd be reluctant to introduce a ban on handpassing or limiting it as it could lead to teams just flooding back knowing that at some point a kick will have to be made into the scoring zone.

The problem IMO is the competition structure which isn't encouraging of attacking risky football and if you come up against a blanket then you have to mirror it unless you are much stronger than your opponents.

I think the rules are largely fine, albeit the tackle is very difficult to referee, but it's our approach to the game that's the problem.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Zulu on April 04, 2018, 05:47:24 PM
I'd be reluctant to introduce a ban on handpassing or limiting it as it could lead to teams just flooding back knowing that at some point a kick will have to be made into the scoring zone.

The problem IMO is the competition structure which isn't encouraging of attacking risky football and if you come up against a blanket then you have to mirror it unless you are much stronger than your opponents.

I think the rules are largely fine, albeit the tackle is very difficult to referee, but it's our approach to the game that's the problem.

A rule saying the kick must go forward would help. 

While we are at it, no kicks or passes to the goalkeeper unless the player making the pass in inside the large parallelogram.

From the Bunker

Dublin footballers should have no home games in the League.

manfromdelmonte

Referee makes a 'mark' where the free has to be kicked before
Otherwise it's a throw up at that spot

tippabu

Do we really need any changes? I think it's better left as is. I don't like the black card, I'd rather a ref having the discretion to give a red for serious foul play, the likes of the famous Sean cavanagh incident, he'd happily have accepted a black at the time, if it was a red and suspension that would have been a more fitting. Most black cards issued in games should only warrant a yellow for me in that I don't think the punishment fits the crime

BennyCake

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 04, 2018, 04:50:46 PM

Would be a bit daft to be awarded a penalty for a third man tackle at the other end of the field. The black card is past its sell by date IMO it should go back to the yellow and red cards only.

Black card does work for cynical fouls. Would Dublin forwards have cynically dragged Mayo men to the floor in last years final, if a penalty was the punishment? And them only a point up? A penalty kick is the only way to really punish a cynical foul.

seafoid

No keep the ball a la les Dubs or back passes to gk. Rugby league has ball to opposition after x phases.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Ball Hopper

Quote from: seafoid on April 04, 2018, 06:29:14 PM
No keep the ball a la les Dubs or back passes to gk. Rugby league has ball to opposition after x phases.

Basketball has a shot clock, I suppose you want that too?

No need to imitate every other sport or any other sport for that matter.

Defining a gaelic football tackle and legal means of dispossessing an opponent will fix a lot of our ills.  If a team can get 4 players around an opponent and the player in possession cannot find an open player, then maybe the 4 tacklers should get possession for assuming the risk of leaving their own markers?

tippabu

If Dublin or anyone else are good enough to put themselves in a position to be able to play like that then fair play and use it. Let the opposition push up and the you can try punish them. There's 15 on 15 out there, it's easy for Dublin to do it because teams still set up defensively, have their sweepers and defensive wall in place. I love how they see out games

larryin89

Quote from: BennyCake on April 04, 2018, 06:27:22 PM

Black card does work for cynical fouls. Would Dublin forwards have cynically dragged Mayo men to the floor in last years final, if a penalty was the punishment? And them only a point up? A penalty kick is the only way to really punish a cynical foul.

Yes but if the penalty kick is deemed too severe a punishment , add significant time and award possession against team doing the cynical stuff.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BennyCake

Quote from: larryin89 on April 04, 2018, 06:42:20 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 04, 2018, 06:27:22 PM

Yes but if the penalty kick is deemed too severe a punishment , add significant time and award possession against team doing the cynical stuff.

A team in the same position as Dublin could waste 20 additional minutes by lying down, grabbing, scrapping to waste time and disrupt the flow to hold that 1 point lead. If they knew a cynical foul in injury time could result in a penalty and losing an AI title, they'd think again.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 04, 2018, 06:33:58 PM

Basketball has a shot clock, I suppose you want that too?

No need to imitate every other sport or any other sport for that matter.

Defining a gaelic football tackle and legal means of dispossessing an opponent will fix a lot of our ills.  If a team can get 4 players around an opponent and the player in possession cannot find an open player, then maybe the 4 tacklers should get possession for assuming the risk of leaving their own markers?
There is a definition of a tackle - a legal attempt to win or dispossess an opponent