Pomeroy GAA and the IRA

Started by iluvni, July 05, 2008, 12:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tankie

did you two read the title of the thread or just do the usual and go off ina tangent

the tread question:
QuoteDoes a parade which organises at and leaves from Pomeroy Plunketts GAA club in memory/celebration of an IRA 'man' meet with the approval of the majority of GAA fans who read this board....or is there unease at yet another demonstration of a relationship between clubs in the GAA and support for IRA terrorists.

read the focking thread before you start your crap!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Tankie

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 05, 2008, 01:44:49 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 05, 2008, 01:33:38 PM
well heres another thread ruined by people talking crap.

If the gaa know its an IRA event they should not rent out their clubhouse etc, hotels are businesses and it upto them to decide on what they want to do.

Wankie you do spout some shite sir, away back to playing with funny shaped balls!  ::)

There is no such thing as an IRA event, the last I heard the IRA chose to try and keep themselves quite secret, now you can have a Republican event, but it just doesn't sound as good does it - troll.  ::)

also do you even have anything decent to say?
Grand Slam Saturday!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tankie on July 05, 2008, 01:50:51 PM
did you two read the title of the thread or just do the usual and go off ina tangent

the tread question:
QuoteDoes a parade which organises at and leaves from Pomeroy Plunketts GAA club in memory/celebration of an IRA 'man' meet with the approval of the majority of GAA fans who read this board....or is there unease at yet another demonstration of a relationship between clubs in the GAA and support for IRA terrorists.

You do understand that it's not the IRA that arranges these things, it's generally Sinn Fein - a legal political party. 

TYP makes a lot of sense in his post, have a read of that.

Typical Dub.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tankie

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 05, 2008, 02:02:22 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 05, 2008, 01:50:51 PM

the tread question:

You do understand that it's not the IRA that arranges these things, it's generally Sinn Fein - a legal political party. 

TYP makes a lot of sense in his post, have a read of that.

Typical Dub.

Sinn Fein or IRA it doesnt make a difference, GAA clubs should stay away for these types of events!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Tankie on July 05, 2008, 01:55:16 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 05, 2008, 01:44:49 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 05, 2008, 01:33:38 PM
well heres another thread ruined by people talking crap.

If the gaa know its an IRA event they should not rent out their clubhouse etc, hotels are businesses and it upto them to decide on what they want to do.

Wankie you do spout some shite sir, away back to playing with funny shaped balls!  ::)

There is no such thing as an IRA event, the last I heard the IRA chose to try and keep themselves quite secret, now you can have a Republican event, but it just doesn't sound as good does it - troll.  ::)

also do you even have anything decent to say?

Tankie you clearly have a problem with SF and anything Republican, which taints your thought process, lose the blinkers (and before you say anything, have a read of some of your previous posts), this thread was started by someone on the "mix", hence I don't think it deserves comment, but if you want a reasonable retort then check out TYP response. I can't work out if your constantly on the wind-up or are just an opinionated, self satisfied Dub, with crap opinions about women.
Tbc....

iluvni

'mischief maker', 'on the mix'....good excuses to avoid the issue at debate in the thread, I suppose.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: iluvni on July 05, 2008, 02:38:04 PM
'mischief maker', 'on the mix'....good excuses to avoid the issue at debate in the thread, I suppose.

Good to see "another opinion" on this board, hopefully you will stay and involve yourself in other discussions which happen here, not just pop in infrequently as you have in the past.

To answer your question, I believe it is an issue which is local to that club, and they have deem a parade to be appropriate.

BTW imho you did start this thread to "mix", as I have done in the past.  ;)
Tbc....

iluvni

nah, just a family connection to Pomeroy which lead me to have more of an interest than usual this time.

Main Street

Quote from: Tankie on July 05, 2008, 02:11:42 PM
Sinn Fein or IRA it doesnt make a difference, GAA clubs should stay away for these types of events!
Who said the GAA were there?
The thread title?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: iluvni on July 05, 2008, 03:04:47 PM
nah, just a family connection to Pomeroy which lead me to have more of an interest than usual this time.

If you were interested in real debate you could tell us what the gaa club has got to do with the parade.  Is your only objection that people meet outside it?  If so, what do you want the gaa to do? 

Also if you were interested in debate you could address Typ's post. 

Tankie

Quote from: Main Street on July 05, 2008, 03:08:50 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 05, 2008, 02:11:42 PM
Who said the GAA were there?
The thread title?

The open question was what do u think in general, and that is how i feel in general. does anyone read on this board anymore?
Grand Slam Saturday!

balladmaker

I have no problem with such a parade or the fact that it commences from a GAA club.  When you consider the fact that the vast majority of GAA members are either nationalist, republican, Catholic or all three, and when you consider that Sinn Fein are nationalist and republican, then it is not surprising that there is some cross over between GAA membership and Sinn Fein membership.

I don't see anything here for the Pomeroy club to apologise for to anyone.  But what I do see is another vain attempt by someone with a bigoted agenda to try to stir things up.

P.S. Sinn Fein are a legal political party.

iluvni

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 05, 2008, 03:10:52 PM

If you were interested in real debate you could tell us what the gaa club has got to do with the parade.  Is your only objection that people meet outside it?  If so, what do you want the gaa to do? 

Nonsense.
If the parade is permitted to form in the grounds of the club, there's clearly approval for it to take place from the committee of that club. That leads  to the question as to whether the GAA is happy for one of its clubs to sanction involvement in a celebration of the life of a terrorist...or if they object to that term whether the GAA as a whole still regards such people as 'freedom fighters'.

The GAA cant contiue to claim they are a sport open to all whilst their position on IRA terrorism isnt crystal clear.

Now you, pint ofguinness, can continue to try and waffle your way out of this debate as is your right, but some of us would mind a little clarity and honesty.

(I hear there's also a sporting aspect of the celebration planned. If this is in the form of a GAA game at the club in question, we are in even dodgier territory really, arent we?)

Puckoon

Quote from: balladmaker on July 05, 2008, 04:14:18 PM
I have no problem with such a parade or the fact that it commences from a GAA club.  When you consider the fact that the vast majority of GAA members are either nationalist, republican, Catholic or all three, and when you consider that Sinn Fein are nationalist and republican, then it is not surprising that there is some cross over between GAA membership and Sinn Fein membership.

I don't see anything here for the Pomeroy club to apologise for to anyone.  But what I do see is another vain attempt by someone with a bigoted agenda to try to stir things up.

P.S. Sinn Fein are a legal political party.

Just because it is so, does not mean that ordinary GAA folk, with no allegiance to Sinn Fein or the IRA, need be subjected to a parade like this through the GAA. There are gaels who will have no problem with this parade because of the cross over you mention - and there are gaels that wouldnt want a similar parade being organised through their club. There are clubs where the majority of the members will be of Sinn Fein persusasion. Again - this doesnt mean that it is acceptable.

However, in address to this post:

Quote from: iluvni on July 05, 2008, 06:09:13 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 05, 2008, 03:10:52 PM

Nonsense.
If the parade is permitted to form in the grounds of the club, there's clearly approval for it to take place from the committee of that club. That leads  to the question as to whether the GAA is happy for one of its clubs to sanction involvement in a celebration of the life of a terrorist...or if they object to that term whether the GAA as a whole still regards such people as 'freedom fighters'.

The GAA cant contiue to claim they are a sport open to all whilst their position on IRA terrorism isnt crystal clear.

Now you, pint ofguinness, can continue to try and waffle your way out of this debate as is your right, but some of us would mind a little clarity and honesty.

(I hear there's also a sporting aspect of the celebration planned. If this is in the form of a GAA game at the club in question, we are in even dodgier territory really, arent we?)

I believe that this particular parade - is in memory of the deceased as a member of the GAA club in pomeroy. Surely any club has a right (maybe even an obligation) to remember deceased members any way that they see fit - or does this change depending on the departure of the deceased and/or the nature of his/her lifestyle?

You have mentioned the GAA position and its lack of crystal clarity - however what you need to remember when you discuss something like this is that you are dealing with individual communities and they will remember their deceased as they see fit. Im sure there has been more than one rangers supporters club venue used for something similar on the other side. Being as the orange order would probably be reluctant to offer their hall as a gathering point for such a parade - and being that pomeroy aint quite new york city and bursting at the seams with venues, and considering the fact that the deceased was a member of the GAA club there - it makes sense enough to me (although I wouldnt attend).  We all know it goes on, there is no right, or wrong answer to this. If the GAA were to ban such parades, they would run the risk of alienating a large majority of the crossover GAA members/Sinn Fein supporters that exist in the north of ireland. Especially in communities like Pomeroy.

Are the GAA excited to have these types of parades? Probably not.

pintsofguinness

Iluvni
Nonsense.

What a ridiculous post. 
The GAA, as a whole, need to clarify their position on the IRA?  The GAA can't do this because it's made up of quite a big membership with all differing views but what does it matter?  That's like asking what  FIFA think of the Israel conflict or the Iraq war?  ::)

I wouldn't be so sure that the committee of the club have approved the gathering of people because there's not much they can do to stop it. 
Parades have to start somewhere - a few local parades I know of (of the top of my head) all start at local pubs and I doubt it anyone's approval was asked for.   ::)

Btw, you don't know an awful lot about the GAA if you think headquarters hand down instructions to clubs.

Puck
Just because it is so, does not mean that ordinary GAA folk, with no allegiance to Sinn Fein or the IRA, need be subjected to a parade like this through the GAA. There are gaels who will have no problem with this parade because of the cross over you mention - and there are gaels that wouldnt want a similar parade being organised through their club. There are clubs where the majority of the members will be of Sinn Fein persusasion.
The only gaa members that this parade affects is the members of Pomeroy and I'm sure if there are people within the club that are unhappy with it they have their chance to say so.