Pomeroy GAA and the IRA

Started by iluvni, July 05, 2008, 12:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: dodgy umpire on July 07, 2008, 05:05:53 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 07, 2008, 02:07:52 PM

In previous posts on this thread i stated what my view of an United Ireland should be, i just dont think bombing our way there is the solution or is forcing a UnitedIreland on the Unionist side!

british rule was forced on us
Just because that why we're in the current situation doesn't necessarily mean it's the way out. Two wrongs etc...

dodgy umpire

but its hardly a wrong if the majority of people claim to support it?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Hardy

It's an oldie and a bit trite, but the majority of Germans supported Hitler.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2008, 09:52:41 AM
It's an oldie and a bit trite, but the majority of Germans supported Hitler.

It's also incorrect. The Nazis never got more than 35% of the vote in any General Election they ever contested. By exploiting the political chaos of the time, they eventually got accepted into a coalition government, then intimidated and/or banned the other parties in it, passed Emergency Legislation giving them overall power, then banned further elections.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

Good. I can stop using it then.

Tankie

Quote from: dodgy umpire on July 07, 2008, 05:05:53 PM
Quote from: Tankie on July 07, 2008, 02:07:52 PM

In previous posts on this thread i stated what my view of an United Ireland should be, i just dont think bombing our way there is the solution or is forcing a UnitedIreland on the Unionist side!

british rule was forced on us

I was talking more so about the furture as POG said that he would gladly take poverty and a terrorist campaign from the unionist for a United Ireland. I said I would not be in favour of this and i think the best united ireland will be one that comes through peaceful means only.
Grand Slam Saturday!

iluvni

Relatives of July 7 bomber hold PARTY at his grave to 'celebrate his life'

By Rebecca Camber
Last updated at 10:26 AM on 08th July 2008

It was three years to the day since the July 7 bombers brought carnage to the heart of London.

In Britain yesterday, families of the victims wept for their loved ones.

In a village in Pakistan, a banquet was held to honour one of the young men who committed the murderous crimes.

Yesterday the families of the victims reacted with outrage to the secret ceremony held at the village where 70 guests gathered to offer prayers and blessings for the suicide bomber whose grave is considered to be a 'shrine of a big saint'.

Bradford-born Tanweer, whose father emigrated from Pakistan and ran a chip shop in Leeds, detonated his bomb at Aldgate station on July 7, 2005, killing seven innocent people as well as himself.

Together with Mohammed Sidique Khan, 30, Hasib Hussain,18, and 19-year-old Jermaine Lindsay, the four bombers blew up three Underground trains and a bus.

As thousands mourned in Britain yesterday, in Pakistan there were prayers uttered for his soul and verses of the Koran were read out.

At the commemorative dinner held by Tanweer's uncle, 42-year-old property developer Tahir Pervez at his home in Samundari, guests were treated to two courses of sweet rice and salted rice with curry and beef prepared by a renowned local chef.

etcetc.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1032699/Relatives-July-7-bomber-hold-party-grave-celebrate-life.html

---

No different to Pomeroy really.

dodgy umpire

so you would ban relatives and friends of the dead commemerating their lives if you dont agree with their politics?

Hardy

Grief is private. Respect is dignified. Commemoration is reflective. Marches or parades are none of these things, which is what prompts me to feel that "commemorative parades" are about something other than grief, respect and commemoration.

deiseach

Quote from: iluvni on July 08, 2008, 11:03:03 AM

Yeah, he should have turned tens of thousands of civilians into ash. Then they'd have erected a statue of him.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: iluvni on July 08, 2008, 11:03:03 AM
Relatives of July 7 bomber hold PARTY at his grave to 'celebrate his life'

By Rebecca Camber
Last updated at 10:26 AM on 08th July 2008

It was three years to the day since the July 7 bombers brought carnage to the heart of London.

In Britain yesterday, families of the victims wept for their loved ones.

In a village in Pakistan, a banquet was held to honour one of the young men who committed the murderous crimes.

Yesterday the families of the victims reacted with outrage to the secret ceremony held at the village where 70 guests gathered to offer prayers and blessings for the suicide bomber whose grave is considered to be a 'shrine of a big saint'.

Bradford-born Tanweer, whose father emigrated from Pakistan and ran a chip shop in Leeds, detonated his bomb at Aldgate station on July 7, 2005, killing seven innocent people as well as himself.

Together with Mohammed Sidique Khan, 30, Hasib Hussain,18, and 19-year-old Jermaine Lindsay, the four bombers blew up three Underground trains and a bus.

As thousands mourned in Britain yesterday, in Pakistan there were prayers uttered for his soul and verses of the Koran were read out.

At the commemorative dinner held by Tanweer's uncle, 42-year-old property developer Tahir Pervez at his home in Samundari, guests were treated to two courses of sweet rice and salted rice with curry and beef prepared by a renowned local chef.

etcetc.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1032699/Relatives-July-7-bomber-hold-party-grave-celebrate-life.html

---

What's the issue with this?
Surely these people are entitled to grieve to?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2008, 05:08:55 PM
Grief is private. Respect is dignified. Commemoration is reflective. Marches or parades are none of these things, which is what prompts me to feel that "commemorative parades" are about something other than grief, respect and commemoration.

how are commemorative parades not about commemoration?????????

Maguire01

Quote from: dodgy umpire on July 08, 2008, 07:51:13 PM

Different people can attach different meanings to the same words. See the 'republican' debate earlier.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 08, 2008, 07:13:04 PM
Maybe that's different. It appeared to be private.

Just out of interest, if some of your family had been murdered by loyalists, would you be happy to see these murderers publically celebrated in your locality? Would you accept it as a 'commemoration'?

pintsofguinness

Just out of interest, if some of your family had been murdered by loyalists, would you be happy to see these murderers publically celebrated in your locality? Would you accept it as a 'commemoration'?

I mighten like it but we go through life not liking things. 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2008, 11:46:19 PM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on July 08, 2008, 07:51:13 PM

Different people can attach different meanings to the same words. See the 'republican' debate earlier.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 08, 2008, 07:13:04 PM
Maybe that's different. It appeared to be private.

if the majority of the people in my locality wanted to commemerate these people then id have to accept that. i doubt many will be offended in pomery. everyone is allowed to remember their dead as they choose, provided its not designed to annoy people, which this march in pomery is unlikely to do so