Racisim and Discrimination in Knock.

Started by An Gaeilgoir, August 17, 2007, 01:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

According to the indo. today, travellers are been "racially discriminated against"becuase they are not allowed to park their vans and caravans in the car parks around the shrine.Boulders and height restrictors are in place to stop large vans and caravans entering some of the car parks around the shrine. According to Rose Marie Maughan of the Mayo traveller support group, the travellers are been made "unwelcome and degraded by this unchristian, discriminatory and racist act". Rose wants Mayo County Council to build a halting site so that they can pull in and use during the annual novena, but locals fear that this site would be used all year round. However Local senator John Carty said the travellers are not in Knock to practice religion but to sell carpets and furniture. Senator Mc Carty also said that if travellers wanted to use the car parks they should pay for them like everybody else.

Same problem every year and following Knock they will all head to Murrisk to "climb the reek" while parking in the car park for a couple of weeks, leaving behind a mess for the council to clean up.

Donagh

I think that's very unfair. Just a personal observation but all the Travellers I've met in Mayo (Knock and Achill) have been extremely devout so I doubt they take advantage in such circumstances. Besides, it's not as if there's actually that many people living in Knock to buy all of these carpets and furniture.

Tubberman

QuoteJust a personal observation but all the Travellers I've met in Mayo (Knock and Achill) have been extremely devout so I doubt they take advantage in such circumstances. Besides, it's not as if there's actually that many people living in Knock to buy all of these carpets and furniture.

You must be taking the p*ss!  :D Far from devout they are. They are there to sell their 'wares' and little statuettes etc.
No particular harm in that, only they clog up the entire village and leave the place in a complete mess when they do decide to move on. And Knock is fairly packed when the Novena is on - it's not the locals the Traveller's are targetting - it's those who travel to the Novena Masses.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Donagh

I'm not. Have been to the Prayer House on Achill many times and it's always packed with Travellers. Despite first appearances, I've always found them extremely friendly, polite and devout Catholics.

magpie seanie

guy crouchback

a load of travellers came to achill this year and camped out on the dunes in Keel. they wrecked the place. I know a lad who is a lifeguard on the beach they he said it was a nightmare.

ludermor

was that 2 weeks ago Guy? the place was full of them. They have a 'understanding' with the minuan pub and it grand until a rival family came to the island. I think they had there battle on keem

guy crouchback

the first lot have been there for a while the second crowd arrived a few weeks ago. the guards set up a check point on the bridge but they rammed it and kept going.
         i believe its not so much an understanding with the minaun as that the owner of the minaun has been given little choice in the matter. keep serving or else.  if you know the minuan you will understand why they can expect little help from the cops. they have been trying to close the place down for years due to the owners extreme republican leanings.

full back

The Senator is spot on. If they want to use the car parks they should pay for it like me or you

Donagh

Surely the point is that they can't pay even if they wanted to i.e. the height restrictors preventing them from entering? Can't say I've ever had to pay for parking in Knock though.

The Minaun – aye the PDs club by the sea alright...  :D

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Boolerhead Mel

You have to love these traveller support groups

These middle class liberal bullroots would jump a mile and scream blue murder if travellers pulled up side thier houses and left shite everywhere. Why can these people not live in houses and stop trying to rob every pensioner in Ireland. 

pintsofguinness

i drive a van to donagh i think i should be compensated for the hassle and annoyance of not being fit to drive into car parks everywhere because barriers need to be put in place to stop travellers from taking up residence.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?