tools & equ from the usa

Started by oakleaf stateside, August 16, 2007, 09:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaf stateside

i live in the u.s and thinking of goin back to live in ireland (home) i no that the 110v tools work at home but i want to no do i need to bring anything other than the tools for them to work in ireland. do any of u no if tvs froom the us work in ireland?
Dont Do It

mylestheslasher

You'll need a heavy duty transformer to run your tools. They aren't a great job as after a time they overheat and catch fire. I'd sell them if I was you and buy new ones when you get home. I suppose it all depends on the type of tools. Have no idea about the tvs.

new devil

TV'S work ....have to get small transformer, as for tools ive heard they work for a while and then burn out, DONT GO  :'( :'(

oakleaf stateside

Dont Do It

The Real Laoislad

If its Dewalt stuff your bringing home don't bother they are a load of dung,I know a fella who bought a big shipment of Dewalt gear from America and he replaced it all after 6 months
Hilti is the best power tool maker bar none in my opinion,I wouldn't buy anything else only Hilti
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Donagh

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 17, 2007, 12:15:47 AM
If its Dewalt stuff your bringing home don't bother they are a load of dung,I know a fella who bought a big shipment of Dewalt gear from America and he replaced it all after 6 months
Hilti is the best power tool maker bar none in my opinion,I wouldn't buy anything else only Hilti

I've been using Dewalt power tools for years and never had a problem with them. In fact I wouldn't buy anything else if I could help it.

J70

Yet DeWalt is very popular in the states. Each to his own I guess. I'm sure there are quite a few fellas out there with horror stories about Hilti tools.

J70

My family moved home from the states when I was a kid and took quite a bit of American equipment, including household appliances with them (no tv though!). Many of them worked for years with transformers. My father brought quite a few tools as well to be used with transformers, although he gave up professional carpentry on his return to Ireland (still got quite a bit of use from them on the farm and building a house though). The transformers at the time were heavy three or four pound monsters (this was the late 70s), but I'm sure they've been significantly miniaturized at this stage. If you can get transformers that are practical to use on the sites, go for it.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Donagh on August 17, 2007, 01:30:31 AM

I’ve been using Dewalt power tools for years and never had a problem with them. In fact I wouldn’t buy anything else if I could help it.

Have used both Hilti, Dewalt and others. The best I have come across is Panasonic, their 15.6 V series is lightweigt and can run all day on a single charge.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014