Buying a car

Started by blast05, August 14, 2007, 03:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

Someone might have experience of this before ......

Am buying an 18 month old car on carzone that has a 3 year manufacturers warranty. Can anyone confirm for 100% that this warranty will pass on to me as the new owner. The car looks spotless and as good as new with very low mileage. Engine looks clean enough to eat your dinner off it - question is would you bother spending €100+ on a mechanic to give it the once over given the 3 year warranty that i am presuming passes on to me ?

the Deel Rover

once the car has the dealers service history blast i wouldn't bother getting a mechanic to give it the once over.I'm 99% sure the warranty passes on to yourself but just verify that with the dealer your buying it off.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

blast05

Buying the car privately hence why i was a little concerned.
Of course if i engaged brain for 2 seconds i would have rang the dealer who sold the car orignially to confirm rather than automatically coming on here asking - and yes, the warranty is on the car, regardless of how many owners. ........ so given the full service history then no need for me to part with €100+ to get it checked ... i think !!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: blast05 on August 14, 2007, 03:37:08 PM
Buying the car privately hence why i was a little concerned.
Of course if i engaged brain for 2 seconds i would have rang the dealer who sold the car orignially to confirm rather than automatically coming on here asking - and yes, the warranty is on the car, regardless of how many owners. ........ so given the full service history then no need for me to part with €100+ to get it checked ... i think !!

ye you should be sound blast just make sure there is 4 good tyres on it and ask him to throw in a full tank of petrol for luck ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

blast05

QuoteWhat type of a car is it?

Volvo S40 SE 1.8 - herself just loved the interior and a batch of extras so that was that  :-\

Hardy

Why would you want to knock them off?

Hardy

I have mine on all the time (well, while I'm driving!). I think it should be law, as it is in some countries. No harm in being seen and it doesn't cost anything (much).

blast05

QuoteThe new model S40 is a great car, what extras are on it? What dealer did it originally come from?

Well its an SE and also has a heated front leather seats, headlamp cleaning system, sunroof, xenon lights (haven't a clue), rear park assist (haven't a clue), blind spot info system (haven't a clue), premium sound system (i guess more powerful speakers an more of them ??), power drive seat (i think adjusts the seat to your pre-programmed settings by the press of a button). Came from Koping motors in Dublin.
All in all, the extra stuff means nothing to me, don't even know what the half of it means.

For anyone buying a car, if not going through a dealer directly then i would recommend to start looking at carzone up to a couple of months in advance. Over this length of time, you will see the prices of certain cars dropping. They are the cars to pounce on as the seller usually need to sell urgently and will almost certainly knock another good chunk off the price.

BTW, anyone know what this "lights are always on" is about ?

wrecked_em

you probably have, but on a car that age its well worth checking any outstanding finance etc, you could get into a bit of a hanlin if there is

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2007, 10:00:14 PM
I have mine on all the time (well, while I'm driving!). I think it should be law, as it is in some countries. No harm in being seen and it doesn't cost anything (much).

Aye, it's a real bastard in the blazing sunlight when a car goes past and you don't see it.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

blast05

Quotewell worth checking any outstanding finance etc

Ah ffs, never thought of that. How would i know ? Do the finance company have a claim on the car  while their is an outstanding loan on it? ..... albeit that i would be very confident i could trust the guy i am buying it from.

wrecked_em

have no idea what way to go about checkin cars for the free state but i have checked a few online with http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/hpi_check.jsp there are loads of others available, can be found through rac and aa, some may be cheaper

you need car reg and you get a report about outstanding finance, police reports, import info, market value. Should give peace of mind. There are samples on the webpage

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on August 14, 2007, 10:38:39 PM
Quote from: Hardy on August 14, 2007, 10:00:14 PM

Aye, it's a real bastard in the blazing sunlight when a car goes past and you don't see it.

Ok then, I'll do me best:

Yes that blazing sunshine has me blinded all summer. But it's not the ones that go past that would worry me.

maddog

Apologies for hijacking a car thread but i have a wee question for any of you petrol heads out there. If you disconnect the battery from a car and the radio starts asking you for a code, and the missus decides that she is going to guess this code in one go ::), then the radio just has this on the display - - - - how do i reset it. I've tried disconnecting the battery but still getting the flat line. Killer is the radio code was written on the bottom of the radio.