Bobby Sands Movie

Started by stiffler, May 16, 2007, 12:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

firstly dont be a smart arse.
Secondly he was in for possession of firearms, this is a fact, come up with some facts about what else he did?

Will you be going to see the film?
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 16, 2007, 03:23:54 PM
firstly dont be a smart arse.
Secondly he was in for possession of firearms, this is a fact, come up with some facts about what else he did?
Have a look at one of David McKittrick's books and you'll find lists of those murdered during Sands 'leadership'.
Quote from: his holiness nb on May 16, 2007, 03:23:54 PM
Will you be going to see the film?
It's a TV movie and I'll probably watch it, as I've an interest in Irish history. However the intial write-up sounds more like an art project rather than any sort of historical document.

Main Street

I thought it was a wind up with the director being named Steve McQueen.
If it's the last 6 weeks of the hunger strike then it will start with the lead up to him being elected MP.
The world's most famous IRA man.  

His Holiness, it's no big secret what Sands was involved in.
He was an active member of the IRA.
Actual proof was a handgun found in a car with 5 occupants, 14 years sentence.

SammyG

Quote from: hardstation on May 16, 2007, 03:37:11 PM
QuoteSecondly he was in for possession of firearms, this is a fact, come up with some facts about what else he did?
QuoteHave a look at one of David McKittrick's books and you'll find lists of those murdered during Sands 'leadership'.
Question not answered.

What question isn't answered?

his holiness nb

"His Holiness, it's no big secret what Sands was involved in.
Actual proof was a handgun found in a car with 5 occupants, 14 years sentence"

so theres no proof of him doing anything else.
Sammy would rather I wasted my time trawling bookshops and reading for a few hours rather than admit this.
Ask me holy bollix

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 16, 2007, 03:43:56 PM
"His Holiness, it's no big secret what Sands was involved in.
Actual proof was a handgun found in a car with 5 occupants, 14 years sentence"

so theres no proof of him doing anything else.
Sammy would rather I wasted my time trawling bookshops and reading for a few hours rather than admit this.

So you think that the OC of the Belfast IRA wasn't involved in the activities of the Belfast IRA.  ::)

Bensars

As soon as i seen this thread go up i knew straight away that the two, sammy g and gwanker would be to the fore.

I hope their oppisition was as strong when the press release regarding Paisleys movie was announced

SammyG

Quote from: hardstation on May 16, 2007, 03:45:25 PM
QuoteQuote

Have a look at one of David McKittrick's books and you'll find lists of those murdered during Sands 'leadership'.
Question not answered.

What question isn't answered?
How many questions can you see?

He asked me for some facts about Sand's activities. I directed him to a well known and authoritative source, how is that not answering his question?

SammyG

Quote from: Bensars on May 16, 2007, 03:48:23 PM
As soon as i seen this thread go up i knew straight away that the two, sammy g and gwanker would be to the fore.

I hope their oppisition was as strong when the press release regarding Paisleys movie was announced

Certainly was from me. Paisley is was and always will be a hateful cnut and I've never said anything else.

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on May 16, 2007, 03:48:55 PM
He asked me for some facts about Sand's activities. I directed him to a well known and authoritative source, how is that not answering his question?

No it is most certainly not answering a question.
More like saying "go look for this book for the answers"

As I said, you made a comment you couldnt back up, I aint going reading books for you to get you off the hook!

And I am not saying he did nothing, I am merely asking exactly what you think he did
Ask me holy bollix

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on May 16, 2007, 03:19:10 PM
secondly he was the officer commanding the Belfast Brigade of the Provisional IRA at a time

No he wasn't.

SammyG

Quote from: Donagh on May 16, 2007, 03:53:39 PM
secondly he was the officer commanding the Belfast Brigade of the Provisional IRA at a time

No he wasn't.

OK, thanks. So all those memorials, biographies, commemorations etc etc are wrong and Donagh's right.  ::)

Donagh

Quote from: SammyG on May 16, 2007, 03:55:49 PM
Quote from: Donagh on May 16, 2007, 03:53:39 PM

No he wasn't.

OK, thanks. So all those memorials, biographies, commemorations etc etc are wrong and Donagh's right.  ::)

Have you read the biographies? The one's I've read don't mention him being "officer commanding the Belfast Brigade".

SammyG

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 16, 2007, 03:53:34 PM
Quote from: SammyG on May 16, 2007, 03:48:55 PM

No it is most certainly not answering a question.
More like saying "go look for this book for the answers"

As I said, you made a comment you couldnt back up, I aint going reading books for you to get you off the hook!

And I am not saying he did nothing, I am merely asking exactly what you think he did

What he did is well documented by many sources (of which McKitterick is one), I haven't got a list of his 'activities' to hand, so I referred you to a reputable source. I'll dig out the book when I get half an hour and give you a full and comprehensive list.

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix