United or City - Premiership Champions 2011/12

Started by BennyCake, March 04, 2012, 11:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win this years Premiership title?

United
26 (60.5%)
City
17 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: March 10, 2012, 11:38:41 PM

BennyCake

After United's win at Tottenham, it's looking like a two horse race between the two Manchester clubs for the title. Who do you fancy to win it?

City have a few tricky away games left, and I think they are more likely to slip up than United. United for me.

Tony Baloney

Unfortunately the margin is so small that I think a combination of the inevitable Whiskey Nose mind games and the immense pressure of leading coming home means City will inevitably fill the togs and United will win by at least 5 points.

I'm hoping I'm totally wrong though! 30th April will be interesting.

CITY:

Sunday 11 March 2012
   14:00   Swansea v Man City   Liberty Stadium         
Monday 19 March 2012
   20:00   Man City v Chelsea   Etihad Stadium      
Saturday 24 March 2012
   17:30   Stoke v Man City   Britannia Stadium      
Saturday 31 March 2012
   15:00   Man City v Sunderland   Etihad Stadium       
Sunday 8 April 2012
   16:00   Arsenal v Man City   Emirates Stadium      
Wednesday 11 April 2012
   19:45   Man City v West Brom   Etihad Stadium       
Saturday 14 April 2012
   12:45   Norwich v Man City   Carrow Road        
Sunday 22 April 2012
   16:00   Wolves v Man City   Molineux Stadium        
Monday 30 April 2012
   20:00   Man City v Man Utd   Etihad Stadium      
Saturday 5 May 2012
   15:00   Newcastle v Man City   Sports Direct Arena       
Sunday 13 May 2012
   15:00   Man City v QPR    Etihad Stadium      

UNITED:

Sunday 11 March 2012
   14:00   Man Utd v West Brom   Old Trafford       
Sunday 18 March 2012
   13:30   Wolves v Man Utd   Molineux Stadium      
Monday 26 March 2012
   20:00   Man Utd v Fulham   Old Trafford      
Monday 2 April 2012
   20:00   Blackburn v Man Utd   Ewood Park        
Sunday 8 April 2012
   13:30   Man Utd v QPR   Old Trafford      
Wednesday 11 April 2012
   19:45   Wigan v Man Utd   The DW Stadium         
Sunday 15 April 2012
   16:00   Man Utd v Aston Villa   Old Trafford      
Sunday 22 April 2012
   12:30   Man Utd v Everton   Old Trafford      
Monday 30 April 2012
   20:00   Man City v Man Utd   Etihad Stadium      
Saturday 5 May 2012
   15:00   Man Utd v Swansea   Old Trafford       
Sunday 13 May 2012
   15:00   Sunderland v Man Utd   Stadium of Light        

ross4life

Quote from: BennyCake on March 04, 2012, 11:38:41 PM
Who do you fancy to win it?

This bit needs to be highlighted as United haters will vote City while the United fans will vote without thinking. As for me i haven't changed my pre-season predictions & i'm quietly confident of getting at least 2 out of 3 right.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Carmen Stateside

United seem to have the easier run in.  Europa league may decide things depending which team last longer.  City have the deeper squad which may prove crucial.  Think United will pip them but.  Please nooooo!

nrico2006

I have always thought that if we got the Spurs game out of the way and were only a few points behind then the title is within sight.  City will definitely drop a few points in the games before they play United, while it looks less likely that United will.  As for it being a two horse race after United win at Spurs, it has been a two horse race for a lot longer than this weekend.  Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal were never going to win the league this year, always going to be one of the Manchester clubs, I mean United.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ross4life on March 05, 2012, 01:18:41 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 04, 2012, 11:38:41 PM
Who do you fancy to win it?

This bit needs to be highlighted as United haters will vote City while the United fans will vote without thinking. As for me i haven't changed my pre-season predictions & i'm quietly confident of getting at least 2 out of 3 right.
I voted for United in the post immediately prior to yours. Very few people will vote City I reckon.

screenexile

City are twice as good as Utd are but the ineptitude of the rest of the league has meant that the 2 are so close at the top. The fact that City have more quality would point to them winning I think although they do have a slightly tougher run in. Can't see either team dropping many points but City to win it on the last day.

EC Unique

Looking at the fixtures leading up to the derby match I fancy Utd to be 2 or 3 points clear before it. A draw at that game and Utd will win number 20.

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on March 05, 2012, 09:19:06 AM
City are twice as good as Utd are but the ineptitude of the rest of the league has meant that the 2 are so close at the top. The fact that City have more quality would point to them winning I think although they do have a slightly tougher run in. Can't see either team dropping many points but City to win it on the last day.

City are twice as good as United?  If they are 'twice' as good surely the league would be over now.  If they are in fact better, then they will win the league.  I don't think they are better and I don't think they will win the league.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Dinny Breen

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 05, 2012, 10:42:32 AM

City are twice as good as United?  If they are 'twice' as good surely the league would be over now.  If they are in fact better, then they will win the league.  I don't think they are better and I don't think they will win the league.

6-1 says otherwise. City have far better players than Man United only Rooney, a fit Vidic and Valencia would make the City first XI. United have Ferguson, the only reason why they are where they are.
#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

Not necessarily. If City are twice as good as United and both City and United are better than all the rest of the teams then in a perfect scenario (for arguments sake presuming both teams win all their games) it stands to reason that the meetings between the 2 teams as well as GD will decide the title. The Premier League table would seem to back that up as City are ahead on both points and GD. Now that they have their full team back I can't see them dropping many points and unless there are some refereeing heroics at the Etihad I can't see Utd beating City.

PS. Is it just me or does anyone else think that Uniteds run of good luck will run out shortly? Bar the first leg in Ajax Utd have been scraping through games with below par performances. Outplayed yesterday, extremely lucky against Norwich, very lucky against Ajax in the 2nd leg.

johnneycool

I'd like to see Man City do it as the Arabs need to get a bit of return on their money rather than those peskey Americans (or whatever Bank they borrowed the money from) at UTD.

rossie mad

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 05, 2012, 11:21:57 AM

6-1 says otherwise. City have far better players than Man United only Rooney, a fit Vidic and Valencia would make the City first XI. United have Ferguson, the only reason why they are where they are.

Exactly

Looking at the fixture run in everyone is saying man utd have an easier run in.
They have to play 5 possible relegation candidates compared to city who have only two.yes city have chelsea and aresnal but anyone knows that playing relegation threatened teams this part of a season is alot more difficult than say september or october.
These teams will be out to pick up any point they can get and i believe this will be more difficult for teams to go out and beat them.
Im not saying the relegation candidates will beat any of the champions elect but dont be suprised if they have a say in the destination of the premier league.

nrico2006

One off results are hardly reflective on which teams are better than others, and United have beaten them since.  As for arguing over who you think would make the City team from United, thats all down to opinion.  United are where they are because of their manager, as are City and every other club in the league.

screenexile

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 05, 2012, 11:54:29 AM

One off results are hardly reflective on which teams are better than others
, and United have beaten them since.  As for arguing over who you think would make the City team from United, thats all down to opinion.  United are where they are because of their manager, as are City and every other club in the league.

6-1 is one hell of a one off result. The team that played then compared to Utds strongest team at the minute it's not a whole lot different. From Utd I would say Evra, Nani (he's better than Johnson) and Rooney would make the current City team. Vidic of course would but he's out for the season so wouldn't count imo.