Could anyone help with sociology dissertation on sports?

Started by Hyuihr, February 29, 2012, 02:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nifan

I commented to keep the thread near the top of the page  a bit longer - let a few more people see it before it drops of the page and maybe get the guy a few more responders.
Thats pretty common for such things no?

ardal

Jaysus NIFAN,

now you're saying we're common; yeah just bumping up the page

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

I would be interested to see the results by Wee six/free state/over the water

The question about songs was interesting. It is not such a big thing down South.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

nifan

Quote from: seafoid on March 01, 2012, 02:09:43 PM
The question about songs was interesting. It is not such a big thing down South.

I dont know - there is plenty of argument rages on concerning Irelands Call vs anthem etc. It seems to matter to some people.
Was it not on here someone even claimed he loudly sang the soldiers song over irelands call even?

Harold Disgracey

Hyuihr

Thanks to everyone who has taken it so far. Everywhere I've posted it's surpassed my expectations so hoping for some good data. I can post an executive summary or something when it's a wrap.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: nifan on March 01, 2012, 02:15:03 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 01, 2012, 02:09:43 PM

I dont know - there is plenty of argument rages on concerning Irelands Call vs anthem etc. It seems to matter to some people.
Was it not on here someone even claimed he loudly sang the soldiers song over irelands call even?

I always wondered about how anthems and songs are approached in this country. When Amhrán na bhFiann is sang at GAA matches it never really seems to be sang with any real conviction. It seemed to be that some would sing it but the rest would mutter it under their breaths.

In contrast "Ireland's Call" seems to be belted out.

I was at an England v Australia Rugby match A few years ago and when the Aussie anthem was played they roared it at the tops of their voices.

Are we afraid to let our voices be heard?

This doesn't just seem to be restricted to the playing fields. I have been to a few Protestant sermons over the years and the congregation all sing loudly as opposed to catholic mass where there are the usual few singing, while the rest drone a noise from the back of their throats

Hashtag

I refused to do this. Something about posting your questionnaire's online seems lazy to me. I mean whatever happened to the man on the street with a clipboard 'can I trouble you for a moment of your time?'
#lazytaxdodgers

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016