Live Aid - 25 Years ago this week

Started by Doogie Browser, July 15, 2010, 11:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Watched a great documentary on BBC4 the past two nights about Live Aid, interviews with 'Sir' Bob, Midge Ure etc and with a lot of the artists who played.  Was very good, some interesting things that came up.  Led Zeppelin refused to ever allow any clips of their performance to be shown since as they felt it was so poor, however they blame Phil Collins as he was forced upon them to play drums on their set at Philadelphia.
Daryl Hall was interviewed backstage at Philly at the time also and he said some artists were hypocrites for supporting Live Aid whilst they were happy to get paid to play in Apartheid South Africa, when pressed he named Rod Stewart and Queen.

Anyone on the board attend the original Live Aid?  Some of our older posters would have been mad keen to attend a gig like that I would have thought.

J OGorman

"Hello Wembley!!" - the Quo, those two men are some craic.

Enjoyed the show last night. I was on my way home from Butlins when it was on, listened to it in the radio

Would have been some event to have attended..fair fcuks to Geldoff, was it 12 weeks to arrange the gigs? thats some going and a fierce amount of money raised

Shamrock Shore

I was Inter-Railing at the time and I didn't know/forgot it was on and totally missed it  :-\

Neil Young upper lip has been digitally aletered in the official documentary to get rid of the, eh, talcum powder, that had, unfortunately lodged there, allegedly!

Ulick

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 15, 2010, 12:26:14 PM
Neil Young upper lip has been digitally aletered in the official documentary to get rid of the, eh, talcum powder, that had, unfortunately lodged there, allegedly!

That was Scorsese's documentary of 'The Last Waltz'.

DownFanatic

Great programme. Led Zeppellin seemed like right dicks. They basically had to be forced to attend. Collins seems adamant that they were to blame for the shit performance.
Paul McCartney's mic wasn't switched on for the first two minutes but the crowd did rightly to keep the song going until it was switched on. Bono's dance with the woman from the crowd nearly fucked up U2's set and they didn't seem too pleased.
Queen were obviously the highlight especially during Radio GaGa. Bowie seemed to have the crowd eating out of his hand too.
Geldoff had to be admired.

Hoof Hearted

Was at An Gaeltacht in Teelin, Co.Donegal when it was on. Tried to sing along with the songs but got ate cause they were in english !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Square Ball

sh1t. its my mates 25th wedding anniversary, i was at his wedding in Ingerland when this was on
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

moysider

Hard to believe it s been that long.

Aerlik

It was a glorious, sunny day in Ireland as I recall my big bruv and I heading over to my aunt's house in Dungiven to red up the back yard.  She brought the TV out to the back door so we could walk up and watch the ones we wanted to.  And her no interest in music but she kept calling out the groups' names.  Quirky memory but funny.  I used to gallavant to the Glens for my ceilidh and there were a few around Cushendall with their "I've been to Live Aid" (or something very similar) T-shirts.  We were a wee bit jealous.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Ulick

I mind a bloke from Lurgan being the talk of the town after he was pictured with some fit young thing in hot pants on his shoulders - and him only married a few weeks before.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Aerlik on July 15, 2010, 03:38:35 PM
It was a glorious, sunny day in Ireland as I recall my big bruv and I heading over to my aunt's house in Dungiven to red up the back yard.  She brought the TV out to the back door so we could walk up and watch the ones we wanted to.  And her no interest in music but she kept calling out the groups' names.  Quirky memory but funny.  I used to gallavant to the Glens for my ceilidh and there were a few around Cushendall with their "I've been to Live Aid" (or something very similar) T-shirts.  We were a wee bit jealous.

I hope you had your factor 50 on lad for thon bonce of yours !!
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Aerlik

Jaysus hoof, you're predictable :D.  No, none on as it was the only sunny day so I needed a dose of Irish tan at any cost.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Capt Pat

Fed up hearing about Live Aid at this stage. Get over it.

muppet

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 15, 2010, 06:29:12 PM
Fed up hearing about Live Aid at this stage. Get over it.

Guess who got dumped that day.

Meanwhile, I tried to tape the whole thing off the tv.

I made the worst bootleg copies ever.

Only sold one, to Peter Solan the Great's grandfather.
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

I was only a wee nip of lad back then, 5 years old. I've a vague memory of it being on TV and being a somehow important event. Didn't really care that much, wanted to go outside and play with the goats.
Testing Accessibility