The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Downing's just not good enough, hasn't got the balls for it, and, for me, was as overpriced as Carroll. Adam just isn't suited to Liverpool's style. I don't know what Henderson can do because we've seen nothing whatsoever yet from him. As for Lucas, yes, they miss him badly, but you're not talking about Zidane here. A team with the resources of Liverpool should be ably to cope somewhat adequately in the absence of a defensive midfielder.

Frustrating and all as it is to follow Liverpool, it certainly is never boring! Its going to be an interesting 3 or 4 months! Not sure what FSG will do, but the likes of Downing and Adam have to go for starters.

thebigfella

Adam has and will be never good enough to play in a top flight premiership team :P Whatever you say about the rest of the signings, I'd sack who ever was responsible for signing Adam. It was plain to see from everyone that he would not be good enough. He'll be playing championship football on loan next year I suspect.

Minus15

I don't really know if it is too soon to be changing manager. It probably is knee jerk and all that but my instinct is telling me that Dalglish doesn't really have the tools to bring us back to the level required to qualify regularly for the Champions League. Not sure who the right man is to bring in but I think John Henry and co will certainly be giving it serious consideration at the moment.

Dalglish doesn't look to be entirely in control of things and takes a long time to make decisions and substitutions during games. We are beginning to hear poor excuses for poor displays too which shows him up a bit in my opinion.

If they weren't still in the Cup then you could understand the poor results more but these guys should be doing everything they can to ensure they are playing at Wembley in that Semi Final. The truth is any other year we wouldn't have been in pursuit of 4th place for so long because Arsenal and Chelsea were stuttering badly throughout the Winter too. Only their failings gave us a possibility of reaching the top 4.

Let's hope for a late surge and for them to go out and play fearlessly for the rest of the season. Some of the player's attitudes are beginning to be shown up and Dalglish needs to let them know that a certain level of commitment is required at Liverpool and to go through the motions is not acceptable at any stage of the season like it perhaps is at some of the lesser sides these guys have played for.

I had forgotten about the incident with Gerrard when Reina got sent off the other day but I remember thinking at the time what a poor sign that is. It was like the Semi final First Leg at Eastlands when Glen Johnson ended up playing Left Side of a Back 3 for 15 mins until Gerrard came over to say it would make more sense to swap Johnson and Kelly, who was at Right Wing Back.

The finer details seem to be glossed over at times and the team really lacks a plan B should things take a turn for the worse during a game. The plan appears to be to go out and score the first goal and everything will be fine but when they go a goal down or miss a few chances, the game peters out. By the time the subs come on to try and change things 75 mins have gone and the players are tiring and the opposition happy to settle for what they have got.

All of us want things to improve but I think that Dalglish perhaps may be incapable of doing what is required. He has showed a lot of loyalty to players he has signed unjustifiably so at times and hasn't yet decided to change what clearly isn't working.

I would say that this season has shown us that the signings made would have been good squad signings 5 years ago but to expect them to be main components of a winning side is a bit optimistic. Agger and Lucas have been missed when out. Carragher finally looks like he should be used sparingly and we are in bad need of a striker to play all the time and get us the goals we need.

God knows what the owners are thinking but if they do change things then let's hope that they make the right appointment. Unfortunately, I don't really know what quality there is out there that will fit the club, meaning I am leaning back towards what we do know - Benitez. Probably not the most healthy of propositions but at least we know exactly what we are getting and we know he would be capable of taking us back to the level required. Gerrard and Carragher are at an age now where they can no longer be bigger than the manager. If a new guy comes in he has to have the credentials and experience to deal with those players and play them wherever and whenever for the good of the team.

Let's see what the next 6 weeks hold and let's hope for an FA Cup win. Wouldn't bet on it as things are at the moment though!

Doogie Browser

Fear not lads, light at the end of the tunnel in the shape of Villa at Anfield on Saturday, a team playing with less confidence than you.  Carroll a cert to score, his hat trick for the toon last season against us put him in the spotlight for the first time.

Over the Bar

John Aldridge ashamed and embarrassed to be a Liverpool fan and claims the club are now simply a laughing stock.

Former Liverpool striker John Aldridge claims the Reds are now "in a crisis" and admits he is ashamed and embarrassed to call himself a Liverpool fan.

The Reds recently picked up their first trophy in six years by beating Cardiff in the Carling Cup final and they will be back at Wembley to face local rivals Everton in the FA Cup semi-finals a week on Saturday.

However, their form in the Barclays Premier League has been poor. Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Newcastle was their sixth in seven league games and they have lost eight out of 12 since the turn of the year, leaving them eighth in the table.

It is a situation Aldridge - who played under Kenny Dalglish in the 1980s during the Scot's first spell in charge - feels needs addressing urgently.

"There is no getting away from the fact that Liverpool are now in a crisis," said Aldridge, writing in the Liverpool Echo.

"To lose six out of seven in the league is something the club won't ever tolerate, we can't tolerate that.

"To have picked up just eight points out of 36 since the turn of the year is shambolic - that's relegation form.

"The fact that this is the worst run in the league since 1954 speaks volumes. Questions are being asked and they need to be answered.

"The eyes of the world are on Liverpool and the critics are having a field day. We're becoming a laughing stock.

"We're all proud to be associated with the club and everything it has achieved over the years. But at the moment being a Liverpool fan is just embarrassing and that's something I haven't had to say before."

Aldridge has pointed the finger of blame at the players, who he has called on to show more pride.

He said: "The team just seems to have lost their belief. You can blame the manager and the coaching staff but at the end of the day it comes down to the players.

As regards Gerrard and Suarez he states: "They are getting paid unbelievable amounts of money and aren't producing the goods.

"They should take a long hard look in the mirror. They are playing for Liverpool Football Club - one of the biggest clubs in the world - it doesn't get much better than that.

"They need to realise how lucky they are and start doing it or their Anfield careers won't last much longer."

He added: "More than anything I want to see some pride. That's all we're playing for in the league now but there doesn't seem to be much pride around."

Orangemac

Quote from: J OGorman on April 03, 2012, 11:44:09 AM
Would Ferguson have survived in his first 5 odd years @ Utd if the Sky juggernaut was in full swing? Revie, Shankley?
Admittedly I don't watch as much as I used to and would only travel to game at most a season now, but it would serve Liverpool zero purpose to get rid of Dalglish without letting him see his contract through and more.
Ferguson finished 2nd in his 1st full season with a team that was in the bottom 3/4 when he took over. Undoubtedly the SKY tv era has led to fans having less patience with managers but when you combine the money wasted, the wrong calls around the Suarez debacle and his inability to deal with the media, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that he is not up to it.

EC Unique

There is no point OM. They really have buried their heads in the sand on this one. I doubt if the American owners will be as foolish.

new devil

AZOffaly

Why are United fans so keen to see the back of Kenny? If he's as bad as ye think, surely ye'd love him to stay.

DuffleKing

Is right AZ. Kenny should have a job for life...

AZOffaly

That's more like it. Leave the King alone :D

EC Unique

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 04, 2012, 09:33:28 AM
Why are United fans so keen to see the back of Kenny? If he's as bad as ye think, surely ye'd love him to stay.

I have repeatedly said I want him to stay. Just think the yanks will be smarter than that.

To be honest I enjoy it more when Liverpool are in the top 4. Good craic watching them in the CL as long as they don't win it ;)

Hoof Hearted

he is officially now the worst pool manager since Michael Barrymore !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Armamike

Aldridge is spot on (as usual).  No amount of spin around cup form and excuses can justify Liverpool's pitiful return in the league this year (btw Liverpool have only reached the semis of the FA Cup - it hasn't been won yet!).  Been a Liverpool supporter for 35 years and Dalglish is a legend for the club, but it plainly ain't working.
That's just, like your opinion man.