Soccer in GAA grounds ?

Started by Junior B, October 03, 2018, 12:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior B

Hi. I log on regularly to see whats going on but new to the board as a member and had a query on the following.

Am a lifelong member of our local GAA club which is in a rural area. Our club has mushroomed in recent years and are lucky to have high playing numbers.  When you include juvenile camogie and two ladies football teams we have about 22 teams across the club. The club is the heartbeat of the community and like many other clubs there is terrific work going on in developing and promoting the games with all ages.  We recently acquired extra land to develop our facilities over the coming years. On the strenght of a pro active committee and club lotto we were able to pay for this land up front. We have drawings complete and ready to go to tender in the coming weeks  to install a full sized additional pitch with a walking track which will be of great benefit to all within our community. We hope to commence works in Feb 2019 and again we are lucky to have the guts of 110k to hand (club lotto savings and part sports captial grant which we sucessfully got last year) to pay for this job. We have not knocked on doors or ran any major fundraisers to raise all this money. We have always balanced the books year on year while maintaining our high standard of developing our individual players, teams and club as a whole.

The local National School is located beside the GAA grounds and has daily and unlimited use of the grounds (as it should). The school had a large fundraiser a number of months ago and is now applying for a grant also. The intention is to do a joint application with the GAA club and if we are lucky put in a wall ball with a astro area which will benefit all. School kids, club etc...

A major stumbling block at the moment is the request from two local soccer clubs to use the facility for training purposes for x amount of hours per week and i presume to hold organised juvenile soccer games.

There is a couple of things to bear in mind. This is not a community field. The facility will be within GAA grounds. The land is owned by the GAA. Soccer is changing to run its competitions in line with GAA calander.

There has been numerous meetings about this. All agree and want an astro area (with ball wall) which will benefit the kids and club as a whole. Alot don't want soccer in GAA grounds as there is a fear that long term it will have an impact on the GAA Club. Some cant understand what it cannot be sanctioned.

The GAA club has sought advise from Croke Park and Provincial level and they are advising against.

In a nutshell do any of ye know of any GAA Clubs who have soccer using their facilities orhave clubs opened up their doors before that have had a negative experience. Is this a non runner? Can it be done etc?

All feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Itchy

Tell them to feck off and get their own pitch or charge them rent. Too many soccer clubs in this country think they should get grounds for free.

Tatler Jack

Soccer clubs are well versed in portraying GAA in negative terms and using moral blackmail to get their way. Local media will usually lend them a hand.

Only rent it to them if it does not interfere with your own training and games, charge a proper rent with payment up front. 

johnnycool

Quote from: Tatler Jack on October 03, 2018, 12:28:14 PM
Soccer clubs are well versed in portraying GAA in negative terms and using moral blackmail to get their way. Local media will usually lend them a hand.

Only rent it to them if it does not interfere with your own training and games, charge a proper rent with payment up front.

As above, but they need to provide their own public liability and as your club are the ones making the massive outlay with the club ensure that the rental fee is worth the hassle.

five points

Quote from: Junior B on October 03, 2018, 12:13:05 PM
In a nutshell do any of ye know of any GAA Clubs who have soccer using their facilities orhave clubs opened up their doors before that have had a negative experience. Is this a non runner? Can it be done etc?

Don't under any circumstances rent it to them. If you do, Croke Park could fine your club for breaching GAA rules. All it takes is one complaint to them.

laoislad

Quote from: Itchy on October 03, 2018, 12:17:56 PM
Tell them to feck off and get their own pitch or charge them rent. Too many soccer clubs in this country think they should get grounds for free.

The local GAA club where I'm from regularly use the local soccer clubs all weather pitches for training.

Too many people always quick to have a go at soccer clubs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Ty4Sam

Quote from: johnnycool on October 03, 2018, 12:46:10 PM

As above, but they need to provide their own public liability and as your club are the ones making the massive outlay with the club ensure that the rental fee is worth the hassle.

Willis Insurance still won't agree to it and the club will be expected to pay out of their pocket if anyone claims. There has been recent cases where claims have been made against GAA clubs regardless if another company or club has public liability ie. a bouncy castle company. See attached whereby a Longford club were fined for allowing soccer on their grounds. I'd recommend that this is a massive no-no.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/more-hypocrisy-from-the-gaa-as-longford-club-is-fined-for-hosting-jamie-carragher-soccer-school-62893

thebackbar1

Quote from: Ty4Sam on October 03, 2018, 12:54:18 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 03, 2018, 12:46:10 PM

Willis Insurance still won't agree to it and the club will be expected to pay out of their pocket if anyone claims. There has been recent cases where claims have been made against GAA clubs regardless if another company or club has public liability ie. a bouncy castle company. See attached whereby a Longford club were fined for allowing soccer on their grounds. I'd recommend that this is a massive no-no.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/more-hypocrisy-from-the-gaa-as-longford-club-is-fined-for-hosting-jamie-carragher-soccer-school-62893
It's against the rules of the gaa full stop, from my reading of the situation is that you want to give a commitment that the soccer club can use the facility, you can't do this as hq can prevent you from doing this, now hq may never take an interest in this but you could be unlucky. Also you need sound legal advice re insurance

LooseCannon

Quote from: laoislad on October 03, 2018, 12:53:44 PM

The local GAA club where I'm from regularly use the local soccer clubs all weather pitches for training.

Because most soccer clubs tend to have massive c***ts in influential positions.

laoislad

Quote from: LooseCannon on October 03, 2018, 01:16:12 PM

At a local level? Really? Cop on to yourself.

Itchy

For Free? I doubt it.

LooseCannon

Quote from: laoislad on October 03, 2018, 01:24:39 PM

Yeah, there's a fair amount of them. In saying that there are some that are the finest.

delgany

GAA grounds are wholly vested in gaa. Therefore you could not have a soccer pitch on grounds .  Could the soccer pitch not be accommodated in a stand alone  community facility devested  from gaa   with all organisation in community using it .. may mean separate access points etc.   

screenexile

Quote from: delgany on October 03, 2018, 01:54:05 PM
GAA grounds are wholly vested in gaa. Therefore you could not have a soccer pitch on grounds .  Could the soccer pitch not be accommodated in a stand alone  community facility devested  from gaa   with all organisation in community using it .. may mean separate access points etc.

That's the only way to get around it I think . . . create some kind of community association and let the Soccer and GAA lease off them or whatever would be my understanding of it.

Otherwise it's a complete minefield!

laoislad

Quote from: LooseCannon on October 03, 2018, 01:39:53 PM
Quote from: laoislad on October 03, 2018, 01:24:39 PM

Yeah, there's a fair amount of them. In saying that there are some that are the finest.
So now what you are saying is there is good and bad involved in soccer clubs.
So basically the same as every club and organisation up and down the country, be that soccer GAA, Basketball or fecking Tiddlywinks.

Like I said cop on to yourself.