Your county’s toughest defeat to stomach

Started by BennyHarp, August 16, 2018, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

After the dust settles on Sunday's game I can imagine more than a few Monaghan fans will consider it to be a huge opportunity missed and feel rightly frustrated that their county aren't sitting in an All Ireland final. I mentioned on a previous thread how frustrating the 1995 final was and it probably stands out as the most difficult defeat to stomach as a Tyrone fan (with Meath in 1996 running it close). Lenny mentioned Derry getting beaten by Cavan in 97, but I wonder what defeats are particularly difficult to stomach for other counties.
That was never a square ball!!

theticklemister

omagh_gael

I was too young to fully appreciate the '95 and '96 defeats so for me it was the replayed Ulster final of 2005. Leaving the ground that day felt horrible. Made the semi final all the more enjoyable, though  ;)

quit yo jibbajabba

Derry - the first Galway sf defeat, 2nd one wasn't great either, Down 94, and Cavan as mentioned

maddog

No one minds getting beat by a team at a similar/better level however 2004 v Fermanagh is the one that sticks because you know that if it was played out another 10 times we would have won each time imho. Shocking display. A soft All-Ireland that year.

RedHand88

Leaving croke park in 1996 to be greeted by crowds of Dubs on Jones road jeering at us was pretty hard to take.
1995 is a close second because of the sheer injustice of it.

In the modern era I'd have to say losing the quarter final to Mayo in 2016 hurt the most because it was a huge missed opportunity to get to an all Ireland final and the chances we missed in the last 15 minutes was shocking.

I'd imagine those old enough to remember the 86 final would rank it fairly high.

Dinny Breen

Down 2010 or Donegal 2011 both had ridiculous refereeing decisions go against us, the Donegal one was a definite game changer
#newbridgeornowhere

Therealdonald

Derry in 2001. After comfortably beating them in Ulster. God gets lined and Paddy Bradley outjumps Finbarr McConnell. Couldn't write it.

laoislad

2005 Leinster Football Final v Dublin. Have never been as gutted leaving Croke Park.

Also 1981, Laois V Offaly.I don't remember it but my aul fella still talks about  Padraig Horans "goal" v Laois that actually went through the side netting. My uncle was Laois goalkeeper that day so it was never really forgotten in our house!
https://amp.independent.ie/sport/hurling/horan-recalls-how-twist-of-fate-lifted-offaly-26447887.html
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

MayoBuck

I was in national school for the 1996 final so didn't really care too much at the time. Definitely the 2013 final for me. I genuinely thought we were the best in the country leading up to it. 2016 and 17 it was accepted that we were big underdogs heading into the finals.

BennyCake

2003, 2005, 2000, 2004. In that order.

Left a number of Sams behind us.

Dire Ear

1986 v Kerry, that penalty,   2002 v Sligo O'Hara outstanding

Estimator

'97 Ulster Final v Cavan: 1pt defeat.  Cavan were awarded a point that was clearly wide. Another point came from a missed double bounce.

'99 Ulster Semi-Final v Armagh: Coleman's penalty tipped over by Benny.  Downey's perfect shoulder being given as a free in for McConville to win it.

'01 AI Semi Final: Midway through the second half it looked like there was only going to be one winner, but collapsed from 5 points up to lose the game by 3.  I believe that was our best chance at a second All-Ireland.

Every defeat we've had at the hands of Longford since the qualifiers began.

Ulster League Champions 2009

blewuporstuffed

Sligo 2002 is a good shout. I remember leaving croke Park think we were never gonna win an all Ireland.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jayop

Kerry 2015  and Mayo 2016 stand out because both games were there for the wining but we kicked them away.