Chris de Burgh knifes critic

Started by Main Street, September 11, 2009, 02:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Attending a Chris de Burgh concert would not be a part of my universe but I had to admire the man's style of retort to another poncy Irish Times review of his recent Gaiety gig.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2009/0911/1224254268225.html

Billys Boots

Ah shite, I thought you were going to tell us he'd changed career (to a knife critic). 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Doogie Browser

I am surprised the critic never mentioned the nanny, he got in every other aspect of DeBurgh's life!

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 11, 2009, 02:41:25 PM
Ah shite, I thought you were going to tell us he'd changed career (to a knife critic). 

???
Then the title would have been
Chris de Burgh - knives critic

Shamrock Shore

He's a bollox to reply.

Alright the review was harsh in spots but De Burgh should have ignored it. The whinge he wrote shows him to be a contemptable little shite (e.g. bringing other critics into his rant) and the PS (sort of a na-na-na-na-na) slagging yer man's surname is from the pen of a raving loon.

muppet

The critic is a clown and DeBurgh is an even bigger one for rising to it.

The best review I ever read was for a movie and just had one word in it: 'No'.

MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Typical responses from whiney music critic lovers ::)

At least Chris's reply made me smile,    :D

Raving loon? You mean Hyde Park speakers corner type raving loon?

He's a cabaret artist, like Sonny Knowles rip.
His reply is more in line with what passes for South Dublin sophistication, closing off with an appropriate schoolyard jibe.

Maybe the warbler should pen a ballad about it, call it 'Crawstruck in Times'.

Hardy

Shamrock Shore

Sonny Knowles is not dead!!

However he does not have healing hands (unlike De Burgh) just wavy ones.

Hardy

Ah the relief for music lovers everywhere!

Heard the former operations manager at Dublin Airport reminiscing about his years in the job and famous people he met. When he was greeting a doddering Perry Como in the VIP area that time he came to sing in his topcoat at the Gaiety with that rancid ould one Twink, our man made some reference about the recent sad demise of Frank Sinatra.

"Frank's dead?", says Perry. "Joe - fella here says Frank Sinatra's dead. Is that true?".

Years earlier he strode out to meet Sinatra on the tarmac, hand outstretched.
Manager - "Welcome to Ireland, Mr. Sinatra".
Sinatra - "Who the f**k are you?"

Main Street

Jaysus, I could have sworn i saw a documentary about Sonny Knowles and the crooner had passed away.
But I have crossed wires with another documentary shown at the same time about Brendan O'Brien.

God bless your power Sonny.

under the bar

Did he name himself after Sonny Tyrone?

thejuice

Someone else got it right there. It's cabaret. Why would you be there even as a critic. What was the guy expecting, Chris to burst into some new-wave jazz movement? I'm actually surprised Chris even bothered replying. Peter Crawley must be finding it hard to fill his column. If the printed media is struggling perhaps the Times should lose some of the dead wood? Hmmm?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016