Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on January 28, 2011, 12:24:23 AM

We may have too many forwards to choose from but as your tone suggests, when push comes to shove, we might not have any forwards at all. Horan has options as well as problems all over the field. At the moment we have a multitude of players impressing for places. What we dont need again is a Summer team of individuals playing as individuals trying to hold on to a jersey. He needs to identify the better options for positions and let his coaching mould them into a proper team  - and to hell with public and press opinion, who will probably gape that yer man is not picked - and get on with it.

This is the point I was making earlier and it was with regard to the overall team but can apply in particular to the forwards. Because of the size of our county we are probably going to have a good amount of players of a decent standard (and to Horan's credit he has found a few more players not previously given much of a chance). The challenge for him now is to see if any of these players are capable of handling another step up or two. For every one Alan Dillon we find, we seem to have another ten Austies. It will be very interesting to see how many of the newbies find that transition. And, as you say moysider, it is key to start building a team fairly soon. Getting the balance right between giving everyone a fair crack of the whip (not everyone plays well in January) and building towards his optimum fifteen and guys that can do jobs for his preferred system is a fine line. I wish him luck.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 27, 2011, 09:31:26 PM
Saturday and Saturday night will be a great day around Castlebar.

For pubs before the game I'd recommend Rocky's for whatever might be on TV and Mick Byrne's for a good crowd and football talk, and both will do what the other does best, but not to the same extent, if that makes sense. Afterwards, the same two will be lively as will Johnny McHales, BOSH, and Ray's. Ray's is a great football pub actually, it is run by the nephew of Mayo full-back of the 50/51 All-Ireland winning teams, Paddy Prendergast.

All of these are in the town and a ten minute walk from the ground. The Sportlann complex at McHale Park has a decent sized pub which is sure to be good both the hour before and the hour after the game, while the same might be said about Hogs Heaven across the road, beside the bowling alley.

What other games are on that day? On TV I mean.

Armagh v Dublin that night. Kerry v Cork will probably be televised on the Sunday.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

No1

QuoteWhat other games are on that day? On TV I mean.

Italy V Ireland in the Six Nations at half 2 then Mick McCarthy, Kevin Doyle and Stephen Hunt are up against Man Utd at half 5.  A friend had also mentioned Rockys for the sport on the big screens so I think we'll start there!

Thanks for the suggestions RedandGreenSniper.

Farrandeelin

Meanwhile I'll be in the TF for the day attending a GAA course.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 28, 2011, 10:50:11 PM

Fair play. Its about time you learned the basics. In suggestion to the Down lad you'd be better off heading to Westport. 10 times the town. Castlebar is a Garrison town all big soccer heads there there not much of a GAA town at all.

Tubberman

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on January 30, 2011, 03:08:32 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 28, 2011, 10:50:11 PM

Fair play. Its about time you learned the basics. In suggestion to the Down lad you'd be better off heading to Westport. 10 times the town. Castlebar is a Garrison town all big soccer heads there there not much of a GAA town at all.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cosmo Kramer

Quote from: AbbeySider on January 27, 2011, 10:50:44 AM

Strong Possibilities
1. David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites)
2. Kenneth O'Malley (Ballinrobe)

3. Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis)
4. Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites)
5. Cathal Hallinan (Ballintubber)
6. Richie Feeney (Castlebar)
7. Trevor Howley (Knockmore)
8. Peadar Gardiner (Crossmolina)
9. Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore)
10. James Burke (Ballymun)
11. Alan Feeney (Castlebar)
12. Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
13. David Killeen (Ballinrobe)
14. Kevin Keane (Westport)

15. Ronan McGarrity (Ballina Stephenites)
16. Jason Gibbons (Ballintubber)
17. James Kilcullen (Ballaghaderreen)
18. Barry Moran (Castlebar)

19. Aidan Campbell (Swinford)
20. Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen)
21. Alan Dillon (Ballintubber)
22. Enda Varley (Garrymore)
23. Mark Ronaldson (Shrule Glencorrib)
24. Neil Douglas (Castlebar)
25. Jason Doherty (Burrishoole)
26. Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy)
27. Alan Freeman (Aughamore)
28. Aidan Kilcoyne (Knockmore)
29. Cillian O Connor (Ballintubber)
30. Cathal Freeman (Aghamore)

Abbeysider, I'd generally agree with the names you have picked and I've added a few in myself to have a guess at what I think the 30 will be. I have picked it based on the Morts, Harte, SOS, Vaughan and Parsons being injured or unavailable. I have no idea whether Kevin Keane is on Horan's radar or not but if he is then he may get a pick so I stuck him in. If not there might be room for someone like Ruairi O'Connor. Surprised you had Barrett way down in the maybes, I'd have thought he'd be a cert for the 30 - a very tidy player IMO. Austin O'Malley seems to be getting a serious amount of gametime in the FBD so Horan may have him more in mind than I would, but then I'm not sure which of the above forwards he'd drop to fit him in? Will be very interesting to see the 30 selected ahead of next Saturday night.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

AbbeySider

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on January 30, 2011, 08:05:13 PM
11. Alan Feeney (Castlebar)
12. Chris Barrett (Belmullet)
13. David Killeen (Ballinrobe)
14. Kevin Keane (Westport)
18. Barry Moran (Castlebar)
Abbeysider, I'd generally agree with the names you have picked and I've added a few in myself to have a guess at what I think the 30 will be. I have picked it based on the Morts, Harte, SOS, Vaughan and Parsons being injured or unavailable. I have no idea whether Kevin Keane is on Horan's radar or not but if he is then he may get a pick so I stuck him in. If not there might be room for someone like Ruairi O'Connor. Surprised you had Barrett way down in the maybes, I'd have thought he'd be a cert for the 30 - a very tidy player IMO. Austin O'Malley seems to be getting a serious amount of gametime in the FBD so Horan may have him more in mind than I would, but then I'm not sure which of the above forwards he'd drop to fit him in? Will be very interesting to see the 30 selected ahead of next Saturday night.

Good man Cosmo, I wouldnt disagree with your selections there either. Kevin Keane is playing with Sligo IT so I think perhaps he could be in mind or in contention along the spine of the defence as I dont think those positions are fully sorted yet. We haven't really sorted centre back, Ger Caff didnt really look as comfortable there yesterday so I wonder how Keane would do? Keane is obviously an option at full back but after yesterday I dont know if Cafferkey is suited to CB so its a bit of a conundrum.

I had Barrett down as a maybe as im not convinced by him yet. Against GMIT he had a poor game and today, although improved, he still wasnt fantastic and didnt stand out. He had some good spells and worked hard but im not sure if that is enough as sometimes he gives away possession and im not sure if he is big enough to stop players coming though. In picking the players I picked, I included guys that I would trust and wouldnt be afraid to play against good opposition so in that respect I left him as a maybe. But maybe I shouldnt be so harsh and critical of a player in January, he could well prove me wrong and I hope he does.

Regarding Austy its hard to tell. He did Ok today in fairness and sprayed the ball about well from CF. It suits him a bit better out there as he is facing the posts and doesnt have to win 50-50s or turn as much to go for a score.

Horan and the rest of the management have a lot of big decisions to make this week.

INDIANA

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on January 27, 2011, 04:53:37 PM
Quote from: Chimley on January 27, 2011, 04:17:54 PM
What's going on here? We have too many forwards to choose from. You'd do well to pare any of the 12 that Abbeysider has listed and you must consider the two Morts are not available and Austy seems to be in contention too. S O Sé is another who played CHF last year and Pat Harte will be back at some stage.
It might be a sign that they are all good enough to a point but we have no outstanding talent.
In any case, Horan will have his work cut out keeping that lot motivated and involved.

Too many forwards to choose from. I'm nearly two score years roaming the Earth Chimley, old stock, and this is the first year in my memory that Mayo have had too many forwards to choose from.

Roll on the Down game.

A classic sign of having a lot of good footballers and no outstanding ones.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on January 31, 2011, 08:44:26 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on January 27, 2011, 04:53:37 PM
Quote from: Chimley on January 27, 2011, 04:17:54 PM
What's going on here? We have too many forwards to choose from. You'd do well to pare any of the 12 that Abbeysider has listed and you must consider the two Morts are not available and Austy seems to be in contention too. S O Sé is another who played CHF last year and Pat Harte will be back at some stage.
It might be a sign that they are all good enough to a point but we have no outstanding talent.
In any case, Horan will have his work cut out keeping that lot motivated and involved.

Too many forwards to choose from. I'm nearly two score years roaming the Earth Chimley, old stock, and this is the first year in my memory that Mayo have had too many forwards to choose from.

Roll on the Down game.

A classic sign of having a lot of good footballers and no outstanding ones.

Maybe. Hard to argue with that at this stage. However if management get the selection and get the forwards playing as a unit rather than the usual bullshit we ve been used to then I think our forwards can surprise a few people this year. We ll know a lot more soon enough about how things are going to pan out.

Cosmo Kramer

Just had a listen to the James Horan interview with Colm Gannon of the Advertiser there, he continues to impress with his approach and gameplan and you don't feel as though you're getting the old neutral political spiel that JOM was coming out with in previous years.

He made a big deal about the Senior/U21 challenge game tonight, I don't suppose anyone here is/was at it and can report back? Said he would name his team and squad for Down after tonights match, but I presume he didn't mean announce it tonight rather that he would announce it later in the week but tonights game would be key to some selections.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Chimley

Anyone hear anything about the game between the u21s and seniors last night?

spuds

From Mayo gaa on Bookface

QuoteMayo Senior Football Team, starting 15 to face Down in Allianz Football League Opener:
1) Kenneth O'Malley, 2) Tom Cunniffe, 3) Cathal Hallinan, 4) Keith Higgins, 5) Richie Feeney, 6) Ger Cafferkey, 7) Kevin McLoughlin, 8) Ronan McGarrity, 9) Jason Gibbons, 10) Andy Moran, 11) Aidan O'Shea, 12) Alan Dillon, 13) Enda Varley, 14) Alan Freeman, 15) Mark Ronaldson.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

muppet

Quote from: spuds on February 02, 2011, 02:19:57 PM

QuoteMayo Senior Football Team, starting 15 to face Down in Allianz Football League Opener:
1) Kenneth O'Malley, 2) Tom Cunniffe, 3) Cathal Hallinan, 4) Keith Higgins, 5) Richie Feeney, 6) Ger Cafferkey, 7) Kevin McLoughlin, 8) Ronan McGarrity, 9) Jason Gibbons, 10) Andy Moran, 11) Aidan O'Shea, 12) Alan Dillon, 13) Enda Varley, 14) Alan Freeman, 15) Mark Ronaldson.

Hmm.........will the back 6 actually line out like that or am I too used to Johnno's switches?

Nice team though. Halilinan, Feeney, Gibbons and Varley get their chance while Ronnie, Ronan McG, Alan Freeman, Tom Cunniffe and co get to start the Horan era in the jersey. Presumably if they deliver they will hang onto those jerseys.

As an aside, are the rumours regarding Conor Mort being out for the season true? Big loss no matter what anyone says.
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2011, 02:42:49 PM
Quote from: spuds on February 02, 2011, 02:19:57 PM

Hmm.........will the back 6 actually line out like that or am I too used to Johnno's switches?

Nice team though. Halilinan, Feeney, Gibbons and Varley get their chance while Ronnie, Ronan McG, Alan Freeman, Tom Cunniffe and co get to start the Horan era in the jersey. Presumably if they deliver they will hang onto those jerseys.

As an aside, are the rumours regarding Conor Mort being out for the season true? Big loss no matter what anyone says.

Its reported that he is getting a cruciate operation on his knee and will be out for the year. I think he is a loss too.