Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

This announced in todays press......

Mayo Senior footballers planned training trip to Portugal has been postponed, because of GAA regulations.

The beaten Division 1 National Football league finalists were due to fly out to Portugal for a six-day training camp this Sunday, but will not do so as under GAA rules players must be released to their clubs.

GAA rules state that such trips are only allowed if they take place within 13-days before a provincial Championship game or 20 days prior to an All-Ireland tie, as players are only fully released to county squads during this period.

Mayo begin the defence of their Connacht SFC title against Sligo on Saturday, June 5 at Markievicz Park.

However the trip may go ahead later this Summer, pending Mayo's Championship involvement.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/sport/gaa/eyojgbeyojql/#ixzz0n4ebbOxz

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on May 05, 2010, 01:39:40 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 04, 2010, 11:57:25 PM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on May 04, 2010, 11:10:27 PM
Lads did the likes of Ken Mortimer, Noel Connelly, James Horan, Kevin Cahill retire too soon?  Was just thinking about the teams of 96, 97 and then the team of 2004 and there wasn't a huge overlap.. 7-8 year difference but you see Dara O'Se winning his first in 97 and his last in 09 - a 12 year gap and he had a huge amount of miles on the clock. Maybe i'm wrong but even the 2001 NFL winning team was very different in a very short space of time.

Yeah. Would have played well into his 30s anyway and I remember him part of the over 40s as well.

You've opened a serious one here. How about Joe McGrath? An All Star that shined too briefly at a time when Mayo were a mess. His brother Des could play too. Michael Collins - played as a teenager in the 70 s, disappeared for his best years and reappeared in his thirties in 88/89. One of the best players I ve ever seen in Mayo. Then there was Gary Ruane. Maughan would probably have got over the line if he played him, and of course Peter Butler, in 96/97. Gary played in 95 but had to wait until Holmes was in charge to play again. Maughan was glad of him in his second term but crucially a lot his best years were spent on the bench. Brian Heffernan was another who could have made the crucial difference in 97 but wasn't trusted. This shit is not a recent phenomena either. By recent I mean last 25 years. Whatever you might think about Billy Fitz as a commentator he was a hell of a forward. Yet his appearances for the county were as rare as hen s teeth.
did des Mcgrath not tog out for mayo when he was nearly 40 before going on to a distinguished oveer 40's career?

Tubberman

Looks like Maughan is't impressed by JOMs training methods or schedule and isn't shy about saying so!
This from his Mayo Advertiser column:

QuoteMayo, on the other hand, appear to have plenty of work to do in the physical stakes. They have been presented by management with a schedule of training and matches over the next five weeks that practically leaves me breathless. It is punishing to say the least, and I would question if it will have the team fresh and hungry for championship. Those who are lucky enough to be included in the championship panel for the summer ahead can look forward to games against Donegal, Cavan, Cork, Westmeath, and Dublin before they play Sligo. When you throw in club games and a few other collective training sessions in Castlebar, it sounds like the team is being punished for the below par performance against Cork.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on May 07, 2010, 08:52:56 AM
Looks like Maughan is't impressed by JOMs training methods or schedule and isn't shy about saying so!

QuoteMayo, on the other hand, appear to have plenty of work to do in the physical stakes. They have been presented by management with a schedule of training and matches over the next five weeks that practically leaves me breathless. It is punishing to say the least, and I would question if it will have the team fresh and hungry for championship. Those who are lucky enough to be included in the championship panel for the summer ahead can look forward to games against Donegal, Cavan, Cork, Westmeath, and Dublin before they play Sligo. When you throw in club games and a few other collective training sessions in Castlebar, it sounds like the team is being punished for the below par performance against Cork.

Have you a link to that article?

westmayo

QuoteLooks like Maughan is't impressed by JOMs training methods or schedule and isn't shy about saying so!

Mayo, on the other hand, appear to have plenty of work to do in the physical stakes. They have been presented by management with a schedule of training and matches over the next five weeks that practically leaves me breathless. It is punishing to say the least, and I would question if it will have the team fresh and hungry for championship. Those who are lucky enough to be included in the championship panel for the summer ahead can look forward to games against Donegal, Cavan, Cork, Westmeath, and Dublin before they play Sligo. When you throw in club games and a few other collective training sessions in Castlebar, it sounds like the team is being punished for the below par performance against Cork.

Have you a link to that article?

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/25868

Tubberman

There's a report on the challenge game v Donegal in today's Examiner.
Interesting team lined out - Howley in corner back, Barrett on the wing with Vaughan at CHB, BJP at CHF and Barry Moran scoring 1-4 from corner forward.
A decent win, but can't read too much into it. Donegal were 6 points up shortly after half-time, so was it a case of them easing off, or us stepping it up, or both??
Don't suppose any of the posters here made the journey up?

Moran leads way for Mayo
By Alan Foley
Saturday, May 08, 2010

Mayo 1-12 Donegal 1-10
MAYO came good in the second half to produce a fine warm-up win ahead of the championship when they defeated Donegal in an inter-county challenge at Glenfin last night.
Ads by Google

Barry Moran was the driving force for the Connacht champions as he registered a goal and four points from play. The most pleasing thing for John O'Mahony was the impact made by a number of his fringe players, while Billy Joe Padden also returned to the set-up.

Meanwhile, Donegal started with a side that mightn't be too dissimilar from the one that will take to the field when Down come to Ballybofey in May's last Sunday.

The home team raced into what appeared to be a commanding lead and two minutes after the interval were 1-7 to 0-4 up, with substitute Colm McFadden scoring the opening goal of the game from close in.

However, Mayo refused to wilt and that's something that will stand them in good stead ahead of their trip to Sligo. Corner-forward Moran got the turnaround in full swing when he netted on 47 minutes and Conor Mortimer was tellingly introduced from the bench.

Donegal scorers: Colm McFadden (1-3, 2f), Michael Murphy (0-3, 1f), Christy Toye (0-3), Rory Kavanagh (0-1).

Mayo scorers: Barry Moran (1-4), Conor Mortimer (0-2, 1f) , Alan

Freeman (0-2), Aidan Kilcoyne, Billy Joe Padden, Chris Barrett, N Douglas (0-1 each)

DONEGAL: P Durcan; F McGlynn, N McGee, K Lacey; B Dunnion, B Monaghan, C Greene; K Cassidy, R Kavanagh, F McNulty, C Toye, M McElhinney; D Walsh, M Murphy, C Dunne. Subs: C McFadden, E McGee, J Keaney, S Griffin.

MAYO: K O'Malley; L O'Malley, G Cafferkey, T Howley; C Barrett, D

Vaughan, S Nally; R McGarrity, P Harte; A Moran, BJ Padden, M Ronaldson; A Kilcoyne, A Freeman, B Moran. Subs: C Mortimer, N Douglas, P Gardiner, K McLaughlin, K Conroy, A Dillion.

Referee: F Flynn (Leitim)

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/moran-leads-way-for-mayo-119236.html#ixzz0nLRQbBw6
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

From Hoganstand.

Mayo county board officials will find out next week if the controversy surrounding the new floodlights at McHale Park has finally been resolved.

Castlebar Town Council have asked An Bord Pleanála whether planning permission was required to move the lights at the redeveloped Castlebar venue, and a decision is expected on or before next Thursday, May 20.

A spokesman for the planning board said that Castlebar Town Council 'have asked An Bord Pleanála for its views' on whether the repositioning of floodlights is 'exempt' from planning permission.

The fate of the controversial broadcasting tower, which has been the subject of much complaint from the McHale Road Residents' Association, is not due to be decided until on or before June 11. But the spokesman said that it's likely that both issues - the Council's referral over the lights and the residents' substantive appeal on matters including the tower - will be dealt with 'by the same people at the same sitting'.

Mayo will host Galway at McHale Park in the Connacht SFC on June 27 if they overcome Sligo in the meantime and county chairman James Waldron insists there will be no problem with staging the fixture regardless of the outcome of the appeal.

"The Connacht semi-final was there last year, and we had only 4,000 seats in the stand," Waldron said in the Mayo News.

"So it won't affect the fixture, assuming the match is there. I can see maybe double shifts [being] used to get it ready if that's what's required."
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GBXII

Anyone reading the Mayo News lately? Sean Rice is doing a best Mayo football 15 since 1960 and just thought it was interesting to note that he picked Liam McHale at 11 ahead of C McDonald. Did I hear somewhere before that Rice has some grudge against McDonald? Link here: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9748:liam-mchale-on-best-mayo-team-since-1960&catid=26&Itemid=54

AbbeySider

Quote from: GBXII on May 11, 2010, 10:48:26 PM
Anyone reading the Mayo News lately? Sean Rice is doing a best Mayo football 15 since 1960 and just thought it was interesting to note that he picked Liam McHale at 11 ahead of C McDonald. Did I hear somewhere before that Rice has some grudge against McDonald? Link here: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9748:liam-mchale-on-best-mayo-team-since-1960&catid=26&Itemid=54

Such bullshit not having McDonald at CF... there is no excuses for that, he must have some chip on his shoulder.

small white mayoman

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 12, 2010, 04:28:49 PM
Quote from: GBXII on May 11, 2010, 10:48:26 PM

Such bullshit not having McDonald at CF... there is no excuses for that, he must have some chip on his shoulder.

agree with you there AS , What did maughan call the press again ?  ;) As regards paying heed to rice i don't and i don't know many that do, where is he from btw ? i doubt Mc D will be too bothered whether he gets his approval or not . Did Liam Mc play many games for mayo at chf ? Having said that it would be hard enough job to pick the team might have a go at it later myself
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Farrandeelin

From hoganstand.

QuoteMayo GAA secretary Sean Feeney fully backs Croke Park's decision to block the Connacht side's training camp in Portugal last week.

The move caused a lot of discontent in the Mayo camp and indeed further afield as it was felt that blocking their six-day training camp was fruitless.

However, Feeney believes that GAA officials were right to enforce the ban as the rules state that a county cannot travel immediately after the league final and up to 13 days before the start of the championship.

The reason for this is to allow players return to their clubs at a time when many county championships are starting and Feeney backed the decision, despite the hassle caused to the Mayo County Board.

"The whole trust of the rule is to prevent teams from holding up club fixtures. As soon as the national league was over teams were going to Faro, La Manga, they were going everywhere and it was interfering with club fixtures, that's why it was brought in and rightly so," said Feeney.

"You're not even allowed a weekend away in that period, for example if Mayo wanted to go away for Thursday, Friday and Saturday."

Also.

QuoteMayo forward Aidan O'Shea believes the bookies were right to install Galway as favourites for this year's Connacht championship.

O'Shea is one of the most promising forwards in the county and has been in excellent form since breaking into the side last year, earning rave reviews in the county jersey.

Mayo face Sligo in the opening round next month and then meet Galway in the Connacht semi final and O'Shea feels that they have the much harder route to the final.

"For us to win the Connacht Championship this year it's the harder route of playing Sligo, Galway and more than likely Roscommon," O'Shea said.

"Galway obviously had a tough game against New York which people didn't really expect to happen, but really they only have to win one game two games to win the Connacht title this year so the bookies probably got it right."

Terry Tate

For anyone that's interested, here's a bit of analysis from the Mayo Cavan Match in Belmullet. Mayo won by 11 points to 4. First of all fair play to all involved in building the new football grounds, very impressive and a massive club house.

To the game itself, there were a couple of factors affecting the play so my judgment of players may not reflect where they are at. It's hard to believe it's the middle of May. It was cold, wet and very breezy. Conditions did improve for the second half though.  Cavan were very lazy and only a number of players showed any real interest. So there wasn't much intensity to the game. Mayo Lined out as follows.

David Clarke, Trevor Howley, Ger Cafferkey, Chris Barrett, Peadar Gardiner, Tom Cunniffe, Kevin Mcloughlin, Tom Parsons, Seamus O'Se, Pat Harte Billy Joe Padden, Alan Dillon, Conor Mortimer (3?), Aidan O'Se (1), Enda Varley (2)

There were so many subs used I can't remember who came on for who, but these were the subs that came on.

Kenneth O'Malley, Liam O'Malley, Kieran Conroy, Donal Vaughan, Ronan Mcgarrity, Aidan Kilcoyne (1), Barry Moran (1), Alan Freeman, Neil Douglas, Shane Nally, Andy Moran (1) Mark Ronaldson (2?)

Not going to rate all the players but best for Mayo were Chris Barrett, Trevor Howley, Tom Parsons, Alan Dillon and Enda Varley. No one really stood out to be honest probably because of the conditions and the lack of interest shown by Cavan. Kilcoyne struck a lovely 45 that was the only score of note. Billy Joe and Alan swapped positions several times but Alan played better on the wing. Tom Parsons played very deep for most of game and Barry Moran got a nice point. He won a high ball in and popped it over the bar from about 20 metres out. He seems to have changed his kicking style. I always had the opinion that he had a very uncomfortable kicking technique but this one was a proper kick!

Mayo are playing Dublin in Hollymount next Friday evening at 7:30

Farrandeelin

Terry Tate, Parsons got injured last night did he? He didn't line out today for Charlestown in today's game. A Charlestown person told me he got injured. Kilcoyne also went off injured in today's game.

Terry Tate

I was watching him walking off yesterday and he didnt look to happy. I thought it was because he was playing well and wasnt to pleased to be withdrawn but he must have been injured alright. There was no incident around it so I doubt it is to serious.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 16, 2010, 04:58:56 PM
Terry Tate, Parsons got injured last night did he? He didn't line out today for Charlestown in today's game. A Charlestown person told me he got injured. Kilcoyne also went off injured in today's game.
Heard Kilcoyne has a knee problem and could be a reoccurrance of an injury he had some time ago and which could rule him out a while. Did you hear anything since?