Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Read that article today too... Hard to know what to make of Mayo isn't it, teams have gotten so far often and then failed on the big day or got complacent when playing against other teams that other people from other counties would expect the lads to win. I'd like to think Paidi is right this time though, but I'm not getting carried away.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

small white mayoman

so paudie reckons that if the ai was played next week mayo would win it yet he expects cork to win the league ??? i hope paudie doesn't get paid too much for writing his weekly column. it seems everyweek he is writing about mayo and winning the ai   
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

ballinaman

Sure remember he came out and said that we'd beat Kerry in the 06 final and after it he said he'd never put his head on the block regarding a prediction again involving Mayo, changed his tune now by the sounds of it.

AbbeySider

Quote from: FL/MAYO on April 04, 2010, 06:08:36 PM

Paudie likes our chances,

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/confidence-boost-can-fire-mayo-to-allireland-glory-2124688.html

You would wonder about Paudies motivations for writing that article.

Its well known that there has been sharp exchanges in the media between himself and Johnno so im thinking that by Paudie talking up Mayo's chances like that; he is turning up the pressure and expectations on JOM and Mayo.

JOM is always trying to dampen expectations, while with articles like Paudies, I think he is trying to stir it. 

Mind games and silly nonsense.

StoneWall

I thought this was an April Fool when I read it first. I know Ballintubber are very strong at underage and that as far as I am aware themselves and Parke have no geographical connection but I can't see any logic in the county boards decision. All they are doing is denying a number of lads football all year.

They really need to get their act together on amalgamation especially the botch they made of Ardagh and Moygownagh

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9428:ballintubber-and-parkes-amalgamation-plans-rejected&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Young footballers left in limbo as amalgamation plans rejected

AN application by Parke and Ballintubber GAA clubs to amalgamate for one year at minor level were rejected by the Mayo GAA Executive last week.
The West Mayo clubs had submitted their plans after it became apparent that they were struggling for numbers in the minor grade this year. However, their proposal to play as 'Tower Abbey' was shot down by the County Board Executive and the clubs will be informed of the reason behind the decision when Mayo GAA Secretary, Seán Feeney, returns from holidays this week.

The rejection of the amalgamation proposal effectively means that Parke will be unable to field a minor team in either league or championship this year, leaving 'four or five 18 year-olds' and 'three or four 17 year-olds' without club football.
Speaking to The Mayo News last Friday, Parke GAA club's Bord na nÓg Chairman, Martin 'Ginger' McLoughlin, gave his reaction to the decision.
"I was shocked to be honest. I really can't see any logic behind the decision and I'm disgusted with it. We're struggling to keep young lads playing football and this won't help.
"I feel very sorry for our lads, especially Darren Durcan who is part of the Mayo minor panel at the moment. Where is he going to seen playing club football this summer?
"I knew the application was a bit late going in but that was because we had approached some neighbouring clubs, Balla and Islandeady, to discuss amalgamation at minor level," added the Mayo over 40s All-Ireland winner.
"They were okay for numbers and it was only recently that we became aware that Ballintubber were struggling like ourselves this year. We never dreamt that they would be short of players at minor.
"Once we agreed to submit the application, I really thought there would be no problem. After all, isn't the GAA supposed to be about lads playing football? We're okay for numbers from U-14 down but have real problems at U-16 and minor level. We haven't got together as a club yet to discuss the matter but we'll have to consider our options now."

Meanwhile, Ballintubber must also decide on their next course of action now. They are currently still among the teams down to play Division 1, 15-a-side football, even though they are struggling to make up the numbers.
"We have always had problems with numbers with this particular group of players and this has been exacerbated this year due to circumstances outside of our control," said Ballintubber Chairman Sean Hallinan.
"We only found out about Parke's situation a fortnight ago, hence the late application for this amalgamation, but we were delighted to have found what we felt was the perfect solution.
"All we wanted to do is give lads the opportunity to play competitive club football in 2010, simple as that, and I amazed that our proposal was shot down, without so much as even a plausible explanation from the County Board.
"I heard at the County Convention, Chairman, James Waldron say that amalgamation was the way forward for clubs short of numbers so I'm astounded that the Executive made this decision. If we see there is merit in doing so, we may appeal," he concluded.

western exile

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 06, 2010, 09:54:15 AM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/confidence-boost-can-fire-mayo-to-allireland-glory-2124688.html

Its well known that there has been sharp exchanges in the media between himself and Johnno so im thinking that by Paudie talking up Mayo's chances like that; he is turning up the pressure and expectations on JOM and Mayo.

JOM is always trying to dampen expectations, while with articles like Paudies, I think he is trying to stir it. 

Beware of any Kerryman who bestows great praise upon you  ;)

macdanger2

Presumably some minor regulation about submitting late applications is preventing the CB from allowing that.......O for some common sense......

Farrandeelin

That must be why Ballintubber couldn't field a team against us this evening so...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: StoneWall on April 07, 2010, 10:36:20 PM
I thought this was an April Fool when I read it first. I know Ballintubber are very strong at underage and that as far as I am aware themselves and Parke have no geographical connection but I can't see any logic in the county boards decision. All they are doing is denying a number of lads football all year.

They really need to get their act together on amalgamation especially the botch they made of Ardagh and Moygownagh

It was a very disheartening decision by the county board and im still shocked by it. I dont know the reasons for it, maybe some clubs are trying to keep us weak and keep a team out of the championship to improve their own chances, I dont know but it wouldnt surprise me. I cant see any other logic besides that.

Unfortunately our numbers are extremely thin at minor level because of a few families moving away from the area. We cant physically scrape 15 players, and with Parke in a worse scenario with only a handful of players so it makes sense for a temporary amalgamation.

Whats really disappointing is that there is 13-14 lads from Ballintubber and about 7-8 lads from Parke with absolutely no football this year at their age group. That will be a terrible blow to the clubs and the lads playing careers.

The two lads involved at county level this year; Darren Durcan and Cillian O Connor wont be able to compete at their own age group at club level this year. Its terrible

Tubberman

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 06, 2010, 09:54:15 AM

It's ridiculous. The least that's deserved is a full explanation of why this proposal was rejected. Only last year James Waldron was saying that amalgamation was inevitable in some cases. Then when two clubs come together with a proposal to amalgamate temporarily at minor level, it's turned down  ??? Makes no sense.
For the players left without a team to play for, it's very unfair. And what's to say they'll come back to the clubs when there's a team they qualify to play for. They are entering the age group where most players are lost - and the county board are actively discouraging them from sticking with their clubs.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

derryhero

didnt even know mayo played hurling...obviosuly their clean dung

small white mayoman

All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Bod Mor

I reckon this should be the team to start against Sligo:

Clarke
Barrett   Cafferkey   K Higgins
Gardiner   T Mortimer   Vaughan
            McGarrity  S O'Se
A Moran   Harte   Dillon
C Mortimer   A O'Se   Kilcoyne

I know it's controversial putting T Mortimer in at CHB but it would be a worth a test anyway.
Unfair on Ronaldson and Varley as well because they had a great league.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Bod Mor on April 27, 2010, 02:04:45 AM
I reckon this should be the team to start against Sligo:

Clarke
Barrett   Cafferkey   K Higgins
Gardiner   T Mortimer   Vaughan
            McGarrity  S O'Se
A Moran   Harte   Dillon
C Mortimer   A O'Se   Kilcoyne

I know it's controversial putting T Mortimer in at CHB but it would be a worth a test anyway.
Unfair on Ronaldson and Varley as well because they had a great league.

I posted my own team on the Cork thread but there are so many opinions on that thread it got swallowed up.

I wouldnt have Trev on the team at the minute. Maybe he could lift things as an impact sub running against tired legs, but against Cork he didnt look up to it.

My team for Sligo based on the league

Clarke
Trevor Howley, Ger Cafferkey,  K Higgins
D Vaughan, S O Shea, K McLoughlin
McGarity, Parsons
Andy Moran, Alan Dillon, Aidan Kilcoyne
C Mortimer, A O'Shea, Enda Varley

The above defence is much more solid. Howley has better defending qualities than Liam O Malley and we need Keith Higgins in the other corner. Cafferkey is just about holding on because there are days I would use Conroy against a bigger full forward. Having said that I would use Cafferkey in the corner before Howley if Conroy was fullback.

The wing backs pick themselves but I would put Seamus O Shea at CB as he has all the qualities. He is very good at stopping and tackling and would hit anything that came down the middle. I think he is instinctively defensive and he presence would hold that space and if im not mistaken, played at Center Back for the U21s.

Parsons would want a running kick in the arse on his way out the dressing room to get him going. McGarity proved in the half he was on against Cork that he is our best option for high fielding.

That half forward line and serious penetration. Andy and Killer love running at defences and all three are good at foraging and winning breaks. We know Dillons reading and play-making ability is proven in the past so I would leave him at CF.

The Mort showed at the weekend that he is still one of our best scorers and Endy Varley proved in the league that he is worth his place. I would actually change it up and switch Dillon and Aidan O Shea for a few minutes to mix up the attack. Kilcoyne is unlucky to miss out but he would be in for Conor Mort or Varley at some stage. All in all I think thats the best we can do with the current panel.

I think we could be in serious trouble against Sligo in six week times.
Its all set up for a perfect ambush.