Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

He had a decent game for Ballina yesterday for their u21s. He is stylish no doubt, but has he got what you'd call 'appetite for hard graft' it's hard to know.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Nihilist

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 17, 2014, 04:49:21 PM
He had a decent game for Ballina yesterday for their u21s. He is stylish no doubt, but has he got what you'd call 'appetite for hard graft' it's hard to know.

I assume he's one of the guys being targeted in this strength and conditioning 20 that we have heard about. He's very young yet though to make a breakthrough to inter county Senior. Unless he's awful good.

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on November 17, 2014, 12:20:58 AM

That s the thing. The reliable guys all ended up having to be started and we had no back-up. I m talking about forwards. Kerry had unexceptional lads (not talking about Donaghy!) who came in and could put in a shift in the forwards when push came to shove.
Horan could have had a better forward bench but he did his thing. That s why Kerry win a soft AI (for them) and we can t ever win one.

Fair enough again. Kerry had the Geaneys both starting and kept the likes of Declan O'Sullivan and Sheehan in reserve. But i don't think that game should be taken as a yardstick to gauge how good Kerry's fw line is. We had Feeney, Conroy and Freeman who you could argue had just as much experience of playing in big games as any of the Kerry guys.

It was just not good enough that day but they had lots of things in their favour.
TBH overall I think Dublin missed the boat big time. They would have hockeyed that Kerry team I think. And even Donegal blew it. Poor tactics in the final cost them.

Sad fact is that it will be a different Kerry team next year.

FW line of

1/2 fw line of Darren O'Sullivan, Cooper and Donachadh Walsh
FF line of O'Donoghue, Donaghy and Tommy Walsh

From the Bunker

Quote from: Nihilist on November 17, 2014, 07:03:56 PM
Quote from: moysider on November 17, 2014, 12:20:58 AM

That s the thing. The reliable guys all ended up having to be started and we had no back-up. I m talking about forwards. Kerry had unexceptional lads (not talking about Donaghy!) who came in and could put in a shift in the forwards when push came to shove.
Horan could have had a better forward bench but he did his thing. That s why Kerry win a soft AI (for them) and we can t ever win one.

Fair enough again. Kerry had the Geaneys both starting and kept the likes of Declan O'Sullivan and Sheehan in reserve. But i don't think that game should be taken as a yardstick to gauge how good Kerry's fw line is. We had Feeney, Conroy and Freeman who you could argue had just as much experience of playing in big games as any of the Kerry guys.

It was just not good enough that day but they had lots of things in their favour.
TBH overall I think Dublin missed the boat big time. They would have hockeyed that Kerry team I think. And even Donegal blew it. Poor tactics in the final cost them.

Sad fact is that it will be a different Kerry team next year.

FW line of

1/2 fw line of Darren O'Sullivan, Cooper and Donachadh Walsh
FF line of O'Donoghue, Donaghy and Tommy Walsh

I would read absolutely nothing from the game in Limerick. There are always factors one has to overcome when trying to beat any Kerry team. If you add in any other factors in their favour, you are shagged!

As for the half forward line and full forward line, the 4 boys were Top class in 2009! Six years ago. Hard to see them produce that level again? Then again I was wrong about Donaghy this year.

Nihilist

Any word yet on who these 20 guys mentioned by P&N are for strength and conditioning programmes?

Champ15

Quote from: Nihilist on November 28, 2014, 12:15:18 PM
Any word yet on who these 20 guys mentioned by P&N are for strength and conditioning programmes?

From Ballina you have Regan and Alex Corduff.
Ballina Stephenites
All Ireland Champions 2005

muppet

Quote from: Champ15 on December 17, 2014, 11:55:04 AM
Quote from: Nihilist on November 28, 2014, 12:15:18 PM

From Ballina you have Regan and Alex Corduff.

From Castlebar I would hope Patrick Durkin and Danny Kirby are part of the twenty.

Hopefully some of the minors from last year are in as well.
MWWSI 2017

larryin89

Is there any reason for the 20 lads not to be named , what is the benefit in the hush hush ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Tubberman

Quote from: larryin89 on December 22, 2014, 09:19:00 PM
Is there any reason for the 20 lads not to be named , what is the benefit in the hush hush ?

You could make the counter argument - what's the benefit in naming them?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Nihilist

Panel is supposed to be cut back to 32. Currently at 39 by my count
Here are the 39 I count currently left. (I read somewhere it might be down to 37 so this might not be accurate either)

Goalkeepers   Hennelly      Clarke      O'Malley                  
FB line      Harrisson      Higgins      Barrett      Keane      Cafferkey           Cunniffe         M Hall      
HB Line      Keegan      Boyle           P. Durcan           S. Coen      Drake      McHale         
MF              SOS         Parsons      B Moran      Vaughan      D Kirby      J Gibbons          COShea         
HF              KMcL      AOS      D O Connor   R Feeney           A Dillon           Jason Doc   C Carolan      N Douglas   M Forde
FF              Sweeney      Ronaldson   C O Connor   A. Freeman   A Moran      M Conroy            E. Regan

Possibles to cut .....
Drake,  Hall,  Kirby,  Douglas,  Forde,  Regan,  S Mchale,  R Feeney,  M Sweeney, C OShea, A Dillon, Carolan

Personally I would have thought that we would need a panel of around 40 to maintain during a season. I read that the reason for the culling might be financial issues although you would think that with a brother on the management team and another a senior member on the CB that they would be doing everything possible to give this group every opportunity.

Nihilist

According to Noel Connelly on Mid West Cillian O'Connor took a knock and will be out of the match next weekend. On the positives he said that Evan Regan and Tom Parsons should be back in 2 weeks or so. 

macdanger2

Was just reading this last night, WTF is the county chairman doing going to Portugal on a TEAM training trip??

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21772:mayo-jet-out-to-portugal-for-training-camp&catid=14&Itemid=100008

And €10k / week to train the team is savage money  :o

Apart from that they mention that David Kenny from Aghamore and Conor Loftus from Crossmolina have gone out - presumably that means they're part of the panel now? Loftus looked handy as a minor - what's Kenny like?

They also mentioned Darren McHugh in the article - I believe he's a back but don't think I've ever seen him play

Tubberman

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 15, 2015, 09:36:51 AM
Was just reading this last night, WTF is the county chairman doing going to Portugal on a TEAM training trip??

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21772:mayo-jet-out-to-portugal-for-training-camp&catid=14&Itemid=100008

Apart from that they mention that David Kenny from Aghamore and Conor Loftus from Crossmolina have gone out - presumably that means they're part of the panel now? Loftus looked handy as a minor - what's Kenny like?

They also mentioned Darren McHugh in the article - I believe he's a back but don't think I've ever seen him play

I thought that odd as well about the CB Chairman going on a training trip!
But he is doubling up as the team liaison officer to the County Board (reporting to himself??), so maybe he's there in that capacity!?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 15, 2015, 09:36:51 AM

Apparently he is the liaison between the squad and the CB.

I am serious.

Also he mentioned the great support in recent games, which is fair enough, but somehow this appears to be down to Cáirde Mhaigh Eó and the ticket schemes. Presumably it has nothing to do with supporters at all.

In other news, the Judge in the Sean Bán Fitzpatrick Trial has denied any conflict of interest, in a statement Justice Sean Bán Fitzpatrick said 'I can simply change hats, see, no conflict. If any issue arises I will simply have a serious talk with myself'. *

* NB: May not be true for the sarcastically challenged.

MWWSI 2017

joemamas

without knowing him, as long as he does not stick his nose too deep into training camp. he should go. He is after all putting a ton of time into the job.

Not a defense but factual from a time standpoint.